Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: change Lr 5 from stand-alone to cloud  (Read 3125 times)

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
change Lr 5 from stand-alone to cloud
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:55:09 pm »

Hello,

at the moment I have Lr 5.3 stand-alone version installed onto my windows-computer. Becasue I bought the cloud version and think about selling the stand-alone version, I wonder what the fastes and easiest way is to change the installation or the license key so I will be able to sell the license.

Surely I could uninstall Lrand reinstall it from the cloud, and then restore catalog, all settings and presets, but I assume thee will be a faster way.

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Simon Garrett

Re: change Lr 5 from stand-alone to cloud
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:29:13 pm »

No need to uninstall the existing version, just install LR again from CC. 

I had LR 5.2 (perpetual licence) already installed.  When I took out the LP/PS CC offer, I simply went to the Adobe Creative Cloud application, and told it to install LR.  It's not very clever, and downloads the app again (even if you've got the same version already installed) - but what it then does it to set the licence to a CC licence, rather than the perpetual licence you had before.

When you go into Help, Lightroom Registration in LR you can see the licence number, and you'll see it's changed after you've done this. 

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 03:54:48 pm »

No need to uninstall the existing version, just install LR again from CC. 

I had LR 5.2 (perpetual licence) already installed.  When I took out the LP/PS CC offer, I simply went to the Adobe Creative Cloud application, and told it to install LR.  It's not very clever, and downloads the app again (even if you've got the same version already installed) - but what it then does it to set the licence to a CC licence, rather than the perpetual licence you had before.

When you go into Help, Lightroom Registration in LR you can see the licence number, and you'll see it's changed after you've done this. 

Many thanks for your fast answer ! I did exactly how you described and now I have the cloud version installed and licensed like you said with the cloud key.

Everything looks great now !

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:00:18 am »

Just a general question (or three) arising from this.......

If one already has "normal" versions of Lightroom and CS6 installed, and subsequently takes out a subscription to CC, is it "legal" to sell the registration keys for the now-redundant "perpetual licenses"?

And how would one "deactivate" the perpetual LR before selling? (I can see the option on CS6 but not on LR)

And, thirdly, how much of a risk is there in disposing of the perpetual licenses? My understanding is that, if at any time one stops paying the subscription, the CC versions will become completely unusable (rather than just the updates ceasing) and it would then become necessary to switch to a different product.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:26:59 am »

Just a general question (or three) arising from this.......

If one already has "normal" versions of Lightroom and CS6 installed, and subsequently takes out a subscription to CC, is it "legal" to sell the registration keys for the now-redundant "perpetual licenses"?
I'm not sure what Adobe says, but in most countries it is legal. 
And how would one "deactivate" the perpetual LR before selling? (I can see the option on CS6 but not on LR)
I don't think there's a formal de-activate: just uninstall it.  Or install the CC version, which removes the perpetual licence version, installs the CC version (which is identical) but the important thing: it changes the licence key from your perpetual licence to the CC key. 
And, thirdly, how much of a risk is there in disposing of the perpetual licenses? My understanding is that, if at any time one stops paying the subscription, the CC versions will become completely unusable (rather than just the updates ceasing) and it would then become necessary to switch to a different product.
Your guess is as good as mine.  I'm keeping mine, in case I ever stop paying the CC bill. 

Adobe have demonstrated amply that their back end systems are not really fit for purpose.  They've lost huge quantities of user data, not all of which was encrypted, and their systems sometimes screw up, locking users out of their accounts (and shutting down rental software).  My software runs, but many of the links in the Adobe CC app perpetually take me to a page that says "We're sorry. Something seems to be wrong on our end. Please try again later.".  By "later" I assume they're talking decades. 

I hope these are teething problems, and their systems will get better - but this is another reason why I'm keeping my LR5 and PS CS5 perpetual licence: I simply don't trust Adobe to be sufficiently competent to keep my CC version running when I need to use it. 

A disadvantage (for the user) of rental software is that it takes away from Adobe the incentive to innovate.  They're getting our money simply to (try to) use their software.  They don't need to motivate us to buy upgrades any more. 

David Luery

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 08:38:42 am »

Hello,

Adobe has surely confused me with the upgrade to Lr 5.3.  I subscribed to PS CC back when it was first offered (i.e., before Lr was added to the Photographer's package), but had also purchased and installed Lr 5 perpetually licensed. 

I have just downloaded and installed the Lr 5.3 upgrade, and noticed that for the first time Lr is listed in the Creative Cloud app.  So 'fearing' that my perpetually licensed version of Lr 5 had been replaced with the CC version, I opened Lr 5.3 and checked the serial number.  And, lo and behold, it is my original perpetually licensed serial number.  So, am I now running a CC version of Lr 5.3, or am I still running a perpetually licensed version?  And does it matter?  I am horribly confused.

Thanks in advance,

David

Simon Garrett

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:06:42 am »

Hello,

Adobe has surely confused me with the upgrade to Lr 5.3.  I subscribed to PS CC back when it was first offered (i.e., before Lr was added to the Photographer's package), but had also purchased and installed Lr 5 perpetually licensed.  

I have just downloaded and installed the Lr 5.3 upgrade, and noticed that for the first time Lr is listed in the Creative Cloud app.  So 'fearing' that my perpetually licensed version of Lr 5 had been replaced with the CC version, I opened Lr 5.3 and checked the serial number.  And, lo and behold, it is my original perpetually licensed serial number.  So, am I now running a CC version of Lr 5.3, or am I still running a perpetually licensed version?  And does it matter?  I am horribly confused.
That's odd, it's not quite what happened to me!

I have a perpetual licence for LR5, and had LR5.2 installed when I got the CC package.  I was advised to choose "Install" for Lightroom in the CC app "find new apps" list, which downloaded (the same version of) LR and installed it.  The licence now showed a new number (not the same as my LR5 perpetual licence number).  

When LR 5.3 and ACR 8.3 were released this week, the CC app showed updates for Bridge and Photoshop, which I installed.  It didn't show an update for LR (it showed LR as up to date), but LR itself reported the upgrade available, so I downloaded the LR 5.3 binary that way and installed it. Afterwards the licence number was unchanged (still the CC number).  Then, the CC app at first stopped showing LR as installed, but showed it in the "find new apps" list.  Later, after a reboot  and a restart of the CC app, low and behold, it now reports LR installed and up to date again.  And LR still reports the CC licence.  

IMHO it doesn't really matter which licence is against the version installed, except that if you want to run LR on more than two machines, you can run two on the perpetual licence and another two on the CC licence.  
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 10:09:31 am by Simon Garrett »
Pages: [1]   Go Up