Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IQ260 (IQ160/40/80) top plate expansion  (Read 2540 times)

pemihan

IQ260 (IQ160/40/80) top plate expansion
« on: December 12, 2013, 02:12:39 pm »

I'm contemplating a purchase of a demo IQ260 which I have been trying out and which seems to work fine.

One thing however - the "top plate" sorta expands when the back gets warm.
Normally the edges of the plate is flush but in use it pretty quick expands so it's maybe 1/2 to 1mm higher than the surrounding edges.

I might be perfectly normal, but on the other hand it might not.
Is anybody else experiencing this on a IQ260 /280 / 140 / 160 /180?

Thanks
Peter

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 02:20:36 pm by pemihan »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: IQ260 (IQ160/40/80) top plate expansion
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 02:17:12 pm »

With both a 160 and 260, I have not noticed this.  I have had both backs in the heat and they have gotten hot.  I may have missed it, however repeated expansion/contraction should cause the plate to loosen I would think.  When the expansion occurs, can you wiggle or move the plate?

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

pemihan

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 02:20:21 pm »

I haven't tried to wiggle or move the plate, but I think I will visit the dealer tomorrow and once again give the back a try.

Peter

With both a 160 and 260, I have not noticed this.  I have had both backs in the heat and they have gotten hot.  I may have missed it, however repeated expansion/contraction should cause the plate to loosen I would think.  When the expansion occurs, can you wiggle or move the plate?

Paul Caldwell

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 02:56:05 pm »

One other question, what type of warranty is the dealer offering? 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pemihan

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 03:13:13 pm »

One year warranty, so that's ok. Just don't want to buy a trouble back and the hassle that comes with it.

Peter

One other question, what type of warranty is the dealer offering?  

Paul
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 03:38:02 pm by pemihan »

OrleyD

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:33:58 pm »

Yes, this same condition presented itself on the IQ 280 I received this past summer.  The corner of the plastic top cover released from the the back as you described with the IQ 260.  The touch screen also wigged out while tripping through the NW.  The back was sent to Denmark for repair.  The preview screen was fixed, the top cover was not.  It is an adhesive failure.  I was concerned about dust or moisture getting into the electronics.

This was very irritating to say the least.  Capture Integration had Phase One send me a loaner (new IQ 280 with 0 actuations) while mine back was returned to Denmark to be repaired.  The loaner back also had the same problem.  My back was returned, fixed properly and has not shown any sign of releasing.

The IQ 1 series' top cover was part of the billet from which the back was machined.

I am pleased with Phase Ones resolution.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 12:30:43 am »

After reading a bit more on some other sites, and this entry, I agree that the top plate, which appears to be plastic does in fact move on my IQ260.  I was not really aware of the issue until I read this post and went back and looked at my back.  This plate appears to be the cover over the Wifi card.   I have seen a break out of the back IQ2 and it shows the Wifi card fitting right on top.  I am assuming this opening had to be made to accommodate the wifi signal, in that if Phase left the normal material there and placed the wifi, then the signal might be blocked by the metal.  From the diagram I was able to find the wifi card fits directly below this piece of material. 

On my back, after it's been on for about 10 minutes and gets a bit warm, the right side of this plate does start to lift up and you can feel the gap/raised ridge with your hand.  On the left side it seems to want to stay in place.  Pretty sure that over time this will get worse and create a situation where my back will have to be serviced as the previous poster's 280 was.  I guess Phase figured out a better glue?  as that's all that seems to hold this in place.  No fittings or screws. 

For now I am going to place a couple of strips of Electrical tape over the longer edges and see it stays in place. 

I have yet to work with this back on a typical Arkansas hot summer day and I do know that the previous back I owned, the IQ160 would get pretty hot especially on top.  This material may also act as a heat displacement for the back, but only Phase would know for sure.

Paul Caldwell

Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

pemihan

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 06:17:25 am »

This is what Phase One support had to say about it:

"That Top Plate is what covers the Wireless Antenna for the IQ2 series.
If this is not flush with the body, contact your dealer so we can have a look. The piece needs to be plastic to allow for wifi signal communication and sits inside the metal housing. If the top has moved it may have suffered some kind of damage and we can replace it."

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=15579
Pages: [1]   Go Up