Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8300 vacuum power  (Read 1053 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
ipf8300 vacuum power
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:49 pm »

Hey folks, my ipf8300 has been great and is still making lovely prints but I'm starting to get more and more areas of little horizontal lines (parallel to the path of the cartridge). they come in 1-3" batches and are most often seen toward the edge of the paper. I believe them to be head strikes. they're more prevelant on the back end of a roll but happen throughout. I print mostly optica one and moab lasal luster exhibition. I've turned the suction settings way up on the optica one. I'm wondering if perhaps something needs cleaning or if the vaccuum making the suction to hold the paper flat is in need of service? Is that a part that even wears out? I sure haven't done any kind of volume to make me think that something like that should wear out, but I'd love your suggestions on addressing the problem (particularly without an expensive tech visit)

Roscolo

Re: ipf8300 vacuum power
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:24:33 pm »

Have you raised the height of the head in Settings? Probably will accomplish more than just vacuum power alone.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:29:00 pm »

it's normal, some rolls tend to bend more than others, especially at the end or when stored in a cold place.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:52:06 pm »

it's normal, some rolls tend to bend more than others, especially at the end or when stored in a cold place.

it is not normal, it's a new development in the lsat weeks with printer and paper combinations that I've been using for 2+ years.

I have adjusted the head height. the optica one comes and goes (and it's a far more curled paper that doesn't want to lay flat) the Moab Lustre isn't a particularly curly paper and it seems to be picking up marks far more than other papers or than it did in the past.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 04:09:15 am »

I always get rid of such issues by increasing the vacuum strength. Head height adjustment can decrease image sharpness, so I'd rather not change it.

From my experience - head smearing appears and disappears, it happens in new and old iPF, and to my eye it's paper related. I observed it at the end of rolls, in case when rolls was stored in a cold/dry place, and when rolls were stored for a long period of time.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:21 pm »

Possibly the low winter humidity.  My printer room only 400 miles to the south of you is down to about 25% today, versus more like 40%+ for most of the year.    My 8300 doesn't seem to care about humidity as far as canvas goes, which is all I print now.  I recall a couple swipes on 210 GSM Rag Photographique, so maybe it's a chronic thing.  Nothin' worse than springy paper.

Worst case is you can decurl roll paper and feed it as sheets.  Or decurl uncut roll paper on a very clean table in front of the printer, then roll it back in for immediate printing.  No fun at all.

The 8300 has a tendency to minutely raise the media under the heads as the leading edge goes over that little ramp at the point where the media emerges from under the cover.  If you're getting swipes about 6 inches past the leading edge, that's what's happening.  Only happens with viciously stiff and curly media.   Easiest fix is to feed the curly leading edge of the media past the ramp by about an inch before starting.  Alternate solution, before printing feed a couple inches of media, open the cover, and with your fingers decurl the leading edge slightly.

Also, have you been cleaning your Blue Switches?  Old toothbrush, stiff art brushes, etc.  Very messy, don't contaminate the rollers.  There seems to be an internal sensor for checking the vacuum, I get nagging error messages about dirty Blue Switches a few times a year and cleaning makes them go away.  So if you're not getting such messages your vacuum may be within tolerance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up