Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r and Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 experience  (Read 8266 times)

jhemp

• Glad to be alive and a photographer
    • Jay Hemphill Photography
Sony A7r and Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 experience
« on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:27 pm »

I wanted to see what other peoples experiences have been with this combo?  I'm not getting the results I expected from the lens.  The edges of the frame are always soft compared to the super sharp centers(both right and left equally).  Below I'll post some screen shots of a few very careful tests I've done comparing the Zeiss 35 2.8 with the Sigma 35mm 1.5 A-mount with Adapter.  All tests have given me the same results.  I may just return it and get another.  Lloyd Chambers reported excellent results with this lens so I may have a lemon??
The Zeiss image is always on the left side.
Please chime in if anyone has tried this out. 

jhemp

Re: Sony A7r and Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 experience
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 01:35:07 pm »

another crop that shows the softness.  Again Zeiss image on the left.

Telecaster

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 02:57:45 pm »

Yup, there's a difference between the two lenses. Are these extreme corner crops? And how big do you have to print before the difference becomes visible on paper at a non-obsessive viewing distance?

-Dave-

jhemp

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

These are both edge crops, not corner crops.  Both near the center of the edge.  The  extreme corners are delivering the same results between lenses.  I'll be printing most gallery work at 24x36in or there a bouts.  I have not printed that size yet with this camera.  The 17x22 looked awesome.  It may not make any difference at 24x36, I'll have to print one and find out!
Jay

Telecaster

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:56:19 pm »

Hmmm...maybe trying another sample or two of the Zeiss is in order, just in case yours is performing below the mean. This is the sort of thing where my normal if I can't see it on paper it doesn't matter attitude gives way to better make sure I don't have a dog.   ;)  Especially with a new camera...having a good feeling about new gear definitely enhances the experience of using it.

-Dave-

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 05:13:04 pm »

Hi,

The Sigma is known to be a world class lens. Seriously, it has an awesome reputation, at least if you mean the 35/1.4 A lens.

Regarding the 35/2.8ZA, it is a compromise lens. Check this: http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/blog/2013/12/sony-fe-35mm-f2-8-za-on-the-a7r-the-bisto-lens

A decent sample of the 35/1.4A would be a good match for any lens ever made. It is very, very, very high end.

Best regards
Erik

I wanted to see what other peoples experiences have been with this combo?  I'm not getting the results I expected from the lens.  The edges of the frame are always soft compared to the super sharp centers(both right and left equally).  Below I'll post some screen shots of a few very careful tests I've done comparing the Zeiss 35 2.8 with the Sigma 35mm 1.5 A-mount with Adapter.  All tests have given me the same results.  I may just return it and get another.  Lloyd Chambers reported excellent results with this lens so I may have a lemon??
The Zeiss image is always on the left side.
Please chime in if anyone has tried this out.  
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:23:48 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

jhemp

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 09:58:22 pm »

Thanks for the link.   I ordered another copy of the lens to compare it with, so I can sleep at night. LOL!

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 10:35:08 pm »

The Sigma is known to be a world class lens. Seriously, it has an awesome reputation, at least if you mean the 35/1.4 A lens.

The Sigma is an outstanding lens. It is extremely sharp, and (to me) has a very nice way of drawing. But it is on the large side.

Sigma 35/1.4 A @ 2.5
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 01:16:50 am »

Hi,

I would not expect that differences so small would show up in print. Many times I have been surprised how much less difference I can see in prints compared to screen

We normally print at 180-360 PPI but view at perhaps 100 PPI, that is 1.8X or 3.6X magnification.

Best regards
Erik

These are both edge crops, not corner crops.  Both near the center of the edge.  The  extreme corners are delivering the same results between lenses.  I'll be printing most gallery work at 24x36in or there a bouts.  I have not printed that size yet with this camera.  The 17x22 looked awesome.  It may not make any difference at 24x36, I'll have to print one and find out!
Jay
Erik Kaffehr

jhemp

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 06:33:06 pm »

I'm happy to report that I received another copy of the Sony Zeiss 35 2.8 today and it's a huge improvement!!!   I'm a happy camper.  Now I can concentrate of shooting!!!!

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »

Interesting that there is such a sample variation.

jhemp

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 09:46:51 pm »

I may be over exaggerating with "Huge improvement" but this new copy brings the edges of the frame back into the same league as the Sigma 35mm 1.4. 
J

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 11:06:07 pm »

Cool! Glad you tried another sample. Have fun snapping.   ;)

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up