Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus 55  (Read 15624 times)

henrikfoto

Re: Zeiss Otus 55
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 08:25:15 pm »

Can you please post them here also?

Henrik

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »

Okay, here you are. All shot at 1.4 w/D800.

JohnBrew

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2013, 09:39:10 pm »

And a second batch. The most popular was the "Wave" - two skateboarders riding on a large blue plastic sheet with two assistants pulling the sheet over them as if a wave was pushing them along. It was funny and popular. You must imagine how it looked from the front as my images are from the side.
The Christmas parade in Folly Beach is an old tradition. We're not your conventional beach town. Anyone may participate as long as they or their ride is dressed in "holiday style" and you must throw candy or souvenirs. I hope you enjoy these.

henrikfoto

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2013, 04:20:44 am »

Thank you, John!
Nice pics.
What city is this and what state?

AreBee

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02:57 am »

Thanks John. Much appreciated.

JohnBrew

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2013, 08:52:34 am »

Thank you, John!
Nice pics.
What city is this and what state?

Thank you, Henrik. Folly Beach, South Carolina - just outside Charleston.

Telecaster

« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 11:43:30 pm »

Niels_Patrick

• GEISSELBRECHT PHOTOGRAPHY
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 04:39:03 am »

Thanks for sharing Dave ;-)

allegretto

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2013, 06:29:19 am »

great review

Some Zeiss lenses DO just look different

This is why I do not understand why some answer questions about zoom vs. prime with a calculator… it's just not that easy for me. Perhaps it's a fertile imagination or sensitivity, maybe "micro-contrast"

But whatever it is, I have a dime that says a pic with this lens will not look like a zoom of similar or even down-res to its size. Sometimes you just have to taste the food and quit analyzing the recipe.

Here's my kind of lens review. The 55mm Otus, by Ming Thein.

Part one: http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/12/17/zeiss-otus-1-4-55-part-i/#more-7756

Part two: http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/12/18/zeiss-otus-1-4-55-part-ii/#more-7758

-Dave-

TMARK

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2013, 10:01:35 am »

I agree. ALL of the Zeiss lenses I've used, ZF, ZM and ZE, have a very different charachter than their Nikon, Leica or Canon analogues.  Even what is thought of asd a "dog", the 50 1.4 planar, just LOOKS better, to my taste, than the Nikon or Canon 50 1.4.  Same with teh ZE/ZF 35 F2.  The differences in look are not measured, so looking at charts and DXO tests is a waste of time, if you intend to actually make images.

My favorite example of DXO insanity is their pronouncement that the Leica M9 sensor is the worst of all full frame sensors.  Fine.  I'm not disputing their test.  But the M9, to me and many others, make a prettier file the high scoring sensors.  There is art in photography that isn't measurable. 

great review

Some Zeiss lenses DO just look different

This is why I do not understand why some answer questions about zoom vs. prime with a calculator… it's just not that easy for me. Perhaps it's a fertile imagination or sensitivity, maybe "micro-contrast"

But whatever it is, I have a dime that says a pic with this lens will not look like a zoom of similar or even down-res to its size. Sometimes you just have to taste the food and quit analyzing the recipe.

Rob C

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2013, 10:07:08 am »

I agree. ALL of the Zeiss lenses I've used, ZF, ZM and ZE, have a very different charachter than their Nikon, Leica or Canon analogues.  Even what is thought of asd a "dog", the 50 1.4 planar, just LOOKS better, to my taste, than the Nikon or Canon 50 1.4.  Same with teh ZE/ZF 35 F2.  The differences in look are not measured, so looking at charts and DXO tests is a waste of time, if you intend to actually make images.

My favorite example of DXO insanity is their pronouncement that the Leica M9 sensor is the worst of all full frame sensors.  Fine.  I'm not disputing their test.  But the M9, to me and many others, make a prettier file the high scoring sensors.  There is art in photography that isn't measurable. 

Amen!

It's just like the blues: how do you even start to 'rate' performers?

Rob C

NancyP

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2013, 10:38:17 am »

I want one of those horned helmets, plus a nice curvy breastplate - I always wanted to sing opera - motorcycle would be an entirely suitable mount for a Valkyrie.

Is that guy with the rifle hunting Rudolph? It IS hunting season out here in the Midwest, but really!

Thanks for sharing!

I am still mucking around with leftover ancient film lenses - Nikon 50mmm f/1.2, Mamiya 55 mm f/1.4. I have to pick a good modern normal lens sometime, but it sure isn't going to be $4,000.00 worth of Otus, no matter how nice it is. Among amateur photographers, only Otolaryngologists can afford the Otus. Feel free to abuse my bad puns.

allegretto

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2013, 10:52:50 am »

miss your meds this morning, again?

envy is an unattractive hue, and oh so unnecessary to composition… it's Christmas. C'mon over and we'll have a nice dinner. The world will look brighter

I want one of those horned helmets, plus a nice curvy breastplate - I always wanted to sing opera - motorcycle would be an entirely suitable mount for a Valkyrie.

Is that guy with the rifle hunting Rudolph? It IS hunting season out here in the Midwest, but really!

Thanks for sharing!

I am still mucking around with leftover ancient film lenses - Nikon 50mmm f/1.2, Mamiya 55 mm f/1.4. I have to pick a good modern normal lens sometime, but it sure isn't going to be $4,000.00 worth of Otus, no matter how nice it is. Among amateur photographers, only Otolaryngologists can afford the Otus. Feel free to abuse my bad puns.

TMARK

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 11:15:09 am »

That Mamiya 55 rules.  I bought one at stoop sale, along with a Mamiya camera, for $10.  Love that lens.

For modern 50mm the Planar is great.

Thanks for sharing!

NancyP

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 05:44:54 pm »

That Mamiya-Sekor 55mm f/1.4 and its sib the Mamiya-Sekor 60mm f/2.8 1:1 macro just bring back so many memories... magic time machine to my teenage years. Rendition and colors in the old lenses can be very pleasing, although the bokeh in the macro can be downright silly - think "onion rings" but hexagonal with crosshatching! I am grateful that I started photography when in-camera metering was a Radical New Design and everything was done manually.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up