Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No coating?  (Read 1229 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

No coating?
« on: December 10, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »

So this past weekend I went to a wedding and saw a nice 16x24 canvas on display of the bride.  Beautiful canvas but looked as if it had absolutely no coating on it.  No shine, no coating look to it at all.  How is this possible?  Is this using a different type of printer which heats up the print as it comes out?  No coating needed?  Curious to know how they achieved this look. 

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
Re: No coating?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:34:06 pm »

It could be a matte canvas with a matte varnish. I use Hahnemuhle Daguerre canvas which is a matte canvas and Breathing Colour Glamour 2 which is a matte varnish.

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:38:58 pm »

A solvent printer negates the need to hvlp spray coat canvas prints.  I'm not so sure about the selection of truly matte canvas substrates for solvent printers though.

For aqueous printers, BC's Timeless or Glamour II in matte finish on a matte canvas.  I prefer Glamour II gloss hvlp sprayed.  Diluted on Lyve, the gloss is gentle.

ken

Justin B

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:37 pm »

While prints done with solvent ink printers don't require a top coat, the media always has at least a satin sheen.

BC Lyve Matte is really the only top coat that I've seen which goes on a print with little to no affect on print quality while keeping the image matte. Glamour 2 matte can do the same, but it is typically mixed a bit with gloss first to achieve the matte finish.
Justin Bodin
Breathing Color

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 11:01:59 pm »

While prints done with solvent ink printers don't require a top coat, the media always has at least a satin sheen.

BC Lyve Matte is really the only top coat that I've seen which goes on a print with little to no affect on print quality while keeping the image matte. Glamour 2 matte can do the same, but it is typically mixed a bit with gloss first to achieve the matte finish.

Hi Justin,

If you are the Justin from Breathing Color then I'm the guy you helped get going to getting great quality varnishing. So thanks again! (If it's you)  :)

I don't mix my Glamour 2 matte varnish with any gloss. I use the straight matte. Would I notice a difference using a bit of gloss as well? My coatings look pretty much as matte as I could expect a matte varnish to look.

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

I use a matte canvas and coat with Clearshield Matte as well.  I still get somewhat of a platic look to the coating.  Maybe I'm applying too much?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:10 am »

there are several canvases now that are designed to be more durable without being coated.  For example, Epsons Exhibition Canvas Satin seems to hold up well when stretched without ink flaking or rubbing off.  Has a nice even sheen to it.

(edit, noticed what I wrote really didn’t communicate my comment correctly, italics are new)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:51:23 pm by Wayne Fox »

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 06:53:12 am »

Just my take on finishes.
 As a background I have spent 28 years in a spray booth for my cabinetry business.
That equates to about 10,000 gallons of material in that time frame. So spraying I know.
On canvas we have tried every mixture you can imagine,rolling and spraying.
As no surprise we spray all our clients work.
 I have gallons of finish here from 100% gloss (rarely used) to 100% matte (never used) but we do mix them for a nice semi gloss mid sheen luster.
I know BC sells a satin but we just like to mix. Timeless 1 gal gloss/2 cups matte makes a silky smooth mid sheen satin.
The higher sheen mixture is 1 gal. Timeless with 1 cup matte. Just enough matte to destroy the full gloss.
On ocassion we will use a 75%/25% gloss/matte but that is about it.
Personally I am not a fan of straight hi gloss finishes but the reality is the higher the gloss the more pop.
Flat matte finishes are another story. The silica in the matte just destroys the opacity. Do this little test. Take 2 small vibrant prints you might have laying around and lay a piece of saran wrap over the one and a piece of waxed paper over the other.
 That is pretty much what happens to an image with a gloss coating versus one with a flat matte.
 That being said I still understand the hunt (By others)for a finished canvas that looks like the sheen has not been altered for one reason or another.

rgvsdigital
Sounds like what may be going on. If you are rolling on Glamor II then 2 properly thinned coats are all you should need especially with straight matte.
With a matte finish there are only 2 things you are trying to achieve. Get some protection on the print and give it some elasticity for stretching.
You want it to look natural like it has just a minimal coating. You start globbing it on just think of the wax paper test.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 09:48:27 am by Dan Berg »
Pages: [1]   Go Up