Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: does your "Timeless" varnish ruin your pictures too?  (Read 9950 times)

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: does your "Timeless" varnish ruin your pictures too?
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 04:38:18 pm »

I work in a fairly cool and very humid environment (usually 80% or >), and use the same canvas as the OP. Due to the combined elements of temperature and humidity, I let works dry after printing for 3 days before coating.

I roll on Glamour II (G2) and have always had great results. I recently coated a few works using G2 gloss only plus the suggested water dilution and the results absolutely sparkle. I also let these dry for 3 to 5 days at about 65 degrees (F) before doing anything else with them.

If you continue to have problems at least try a pint of G2 gloss. The cost of continued problems and wasted tests can quickly be more than the cost of the Timeless.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2013, 05:18:01 pm »

Yup, G2 Gloss is a marvel all by itself.  The high gloss may not be appropriate for gallery wraps where the combination of ripples and highlighted edges can look tacky due to out of control highlights from lights in the display space.  But for canvas absolutely flatly mounted on Gator the super gloss look is sensational.  My ultra glossy canvases pieces are in several locations next to facemounted pieces, where my mounted canvas makes the facemounted pieces look like plastic they are.  If I do say so myself.

One small issue with G2 is that even the gloss version does have a bit of residual something in it that slightly masks the image, like Dan's excellent wax paper analogy.  Those who are looking for a real high gamut thrill with a low, low Dmax might want to investigate some of the ultra clear (and difficult to use) varnishes down at Home Depot.  But don't try to stretch that stuff, too brittle.  The slight G2 haze probably comes from stuff designed for stretchability, and it's a good compromise for gallery wrappers.  Super clear coatings also boost the gamut of canvas up into the Baryta range if you profile coated targets, but of course that won't happen with matte or even slightly hazed coatings.

Agree with Justan about drying time before coating.  Even is bone-dry New Mexico I like to wait at least 24 hours before coating, and much more if it's been raining.  Next time you coat, look at the darkest areas at an angle when the coating is dry.  If you can see a distinct difference in the quality of reflections between light and dark areas, the dark areas are still wet under the coating, which can't be good thing.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2013, 05:44:26 pm »

Welcome back Bill,missed your wit and wisdom.

BrianWJH

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2013, 06:32:28 pm »

Welcome back Bill,missed your wit and wisdom.
+1

Colorwave

• Colorwave Imaging
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 07:08:12 pm »

tried this stuff because lexjet brand yellows too much.
I've yet to notice any yellowing issues with the LexJet coatings.  Are you speaking about problems you notice immediately, or over time?
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:07 pm »

I first started off using gloss but wow you put any light to it and you can't even see the actual image if you're looking directly at it.  You kind of have to look at it at an angle to see the photo.  That's the only reason why I went down to matte coating.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 11:46:01 pm »

You want to use a relatively smooth canvas for gloss.  If the peaks and valleys of the weave are too steep, you get objectionable highlight reflections from the rounded edges of the deep weave.  Fredrix 777 has a very fine weave, but very limited gamut and lots of OBA's.  Can't get a non-orange red out of it.  Currently Sunset Select has a pretty steep weave which makes it not the best choice for gloss, but some recent samples were much smoother.  But disregarding weave and OBA issues, Sunset Select shows an awesome amount of gamut and excellent color when profiled from super-clear gloss targets.  Very few canvases can cover reds, violets and blues better than glossy Sunset Select.

Canson Museum Art is a pretty good gloss candidate, only 15 mils thick and very smooth with a non-directional texture.  You need to build super-gloss profiles to bring the OBA-free emulsion up to truly impressive gamut proportions, it's has a pretty poor gamut when profiled from uncoated targets.  Very consistent surface, Canson has excellent QC in regards to surface and weave, and everything else for that matter.

If BC would bring out a smooth canvas with their Lyve coating, it would be great stuff.  But the current Lyve weave is too coarse for high gloss, you get terrible reflections when viewing glossy Lyve prints off center when the dominant texture is vertical, and when a print is hung on the wall with the dominant weave texture oriented left-right overhead lighting will haze it out.  Bottom line...glossy needs smooth, which is why the so-called Epson Natural Gloss with its deep, coarse weave is so pointless.

The enemy of glossy canvas is of course the "hey Mom! I'm printed on CANVAS!" attitude of most canvas manufacturers.  I like canvas not because is looks "like oil paintings" or some such nonsense, but because is easy to handle in large sizes, and because it allows the creation of very large pieces that don't weight a ton.  Basically, the same reasons painters like it.  So can we please minimize the weave, it's OK, really!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:48:47 pm by bill t. »

msongs

• Hawaii Loves Art
regarding lexjet yellowing...
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 02:22:09 am »

had a chat with lexjet and they told me the varnish they sold me was not suitable for sunset select. ok then why did they not say that when I ordered the canvas and the "incompatible" varnish at the same time? the yellowing issue is the only reason I bought some Timeless in the first place
Msongs
hawaiilovesart.com
batik, digital design, panorama photography

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:16 am »

I first started off using gloss but wow you put any light to it and you can't even see the actual image if you're looking directly at it.  You kind of have to look at it at an angle to see the photo.  That's the only reason why I went down to matte coating.

I started using gloss after using a matte finish for some time. Someone here suggested it. I roll on a single coat of G2 and that makes a difference, compared to spraying. Generally, rolling the media produces a heaver coat than spraying. Of course it is possible to apply a pretty heavy coat by spraying, but one would best use multiple lighter coats, spay while the target is lying flat, or risk runs. Anywho, a heaver coat fills in more of the valleys and using a roller can compress the peaks a little as well. Even with a heavier coat, a gloss finish isn’t suitable for everything, imo.

had a chat with lexjet and they told me the varnish they sold me was not suitable for sunset select. ok then why did they not say that when I ordered the canvas and the "incompatible" varnish at the same time? the yellowing issue is the only reason I bought some Timeless in the first place

Many vendors are remarkably not forthcoming about the fine print (too god a pun to pass) when selling products; and then they are often good at pointing fingers away from themselves. Hope they offered a refund or similar. Only time I’ve seen yellowing with Sunset Select is when the G2 or canvas was contaminated. My oldest canvas works are about 4 years and no one has reported any complaints.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 10:22:46 am »

The enemy of glossy canvas is of course the "hey Mom! I'm printed on CANVAS!" attitude of most canvas manufacturers.  I like canvas not because is looks "like oil paintings" or some such nonsense, but because is easy to handle in large sizes, and because it allows the creation of very large pieces that don't weight a ton.  Basically, the same reasons painters like it.  So can we please minimize the weave, it's OK, really!

Canvas is also an economical way to produce large works because with a good veneer coating it doesn’t require acrylic or glass. As you know, this is a key detail to relay to the customer. Most customers gush over the painting-like results that canvas produces, too. For the ones that want a traditional foto finish, i offer Hahnemühle Photo Rag Baryta, and (gasp) acrylic over the top, at a substantial premium. But it would be great to find a good minimal weave that got along with G2. There are probably some significant engineering issues that lead to the to the typical canvas presentation.

huguito

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 08:43:38 pm »

( Those who are looking for a real high gamut thrill with a low, low Dmax might want to investigate some of the ultra clear (and difficult to use) varnishes down at Home Depot.)

Hi Bill
What's the brand of those Home Depot Varnishes you mentioned?

Hugo
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up