Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Schneider 90mm f/4.5 Makro-Symmar for Nikon  (Read 3478 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
Schneider 90mm f/4.5 Makro-Symmar for Nikon
« on: December 10, 2013, 02:01:51 pm »

Anybody have any experience with this lens for the Nikon or Canon?  Edge to edge sharpness with movements?  Chromatic aberration?  Thanks very much for your replies.
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Schneider 90mm f/4.5 Makro-Symmar for Nikon
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 03:26:26 pm »

I'm sure it totally sucks becasue Schneider has never, ever made a decent lens!  ;D
Roger Cicala at lensrentals.com shares his take on it at http://www.lensrentals.com/rent/canon/lenses/specialty/schneider-90mm-f4.5-makro-symmar-for-canon

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 04:28:06 pm »

yeah, it's pretty sad.  Somebody needs to go over to Germany and show those guys how to make glass. ;D

I saw that review from lens rentals and it's an excellent one.  He doesn't mention CA.  The lens sounds almost too good to be true! Thus I'm asking all the boots on the ground out there for their real world experience.

I'm thinking of using the Schneider in question on my Nikon D800E instead of a 90mm or 120mm on my Arca Rm3di.  DOF becomes such an issue at that focal length, that paying the super big dollars for lenses for the Arca is hard to justify.  At focal lengths shorter than 90, I still think Arca (or similar body) with Phase One P65 or better backs will render image quality that surpasses anything else - especially on very large enlargements.

Thanks for the reply. 
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 09:27:51 pm »

While I am not as seasoned as some in regards to all thing camera, I have and use this lens. had it on my D4 and now on my 6D (ebayed the Nikon for a few dollars less than I paid. If you want this kind of detail, no one makes anything close)

It is unbelievably sharp and contrasty. As Roger says, it's at first a bit counter intuitive to set up. And the rings are unbearably stiff to rotate. Get ready to flex your muscles

However the images are almost chiaroscuro, so contrasty. Like no other lens I've used.

Rent one from Roger, or buy one from B&H. B&H is completely accommodating for trying as long as you do not damage it.  Make sure you want it...

Not sure if you go less they also make a 50mm 2.8 which has got to be the bomb! May pick one up to play with. If it's anything like the bigger one with almost 1.3 f-stops faster too. May be more versatile.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 09:32:32 pm by allegretto »

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 08:37:16 am »

Thanks!  I'm getting that shaky feeling that I've entered the gravitational pull towards purchasing this lens!  I'll rent one from Roger to test it out.
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 05:07:59 pm »

I've used this lens. I rented it from LensRentals. It is large and heavy. It takes a lot of patience. Stitching is fairly easy, but since the lens only moves in one direction you have to turn it 180 degrees to finish a stitched pano. I never could get it to tilt and shift (together) the direction I wanted it to go!! The dials are much too narrow and impossible to turn with gloves on in cold weather. IMO, you are much better off with a Nikon 85 PCE for this focal length.

Addition: I didn't see Allegretto's response before I rattled this off. He seems to feel the image quality is good. I re-checked some of the pano's I made and the color was great, better than a Nikon, but I don't feel the Schneider was any sharper and the copy I used also back-focused.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:22:19 pm by JohnBrew »

allegretto

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 11:18:14 pm »

I've used this lens. I rented it from LensRentals. It is large and heavy. It takes a lot of patience. Stitching is fairly easy, but since the lens only moves in one direction you have to turn it 180 degrees to finish a stitched pano. I never could get it to tilt and shift (together) the direction I wanted it to go!! The dials are much too narrow and impossible to turn with gloves on in cold weather. IMO, you are much better off with a Nikon 85 PCE for this focal length.

Addition: I didn't see Allegretto's response before I rattled this off. He seems to feel the image quality is good. I re-checked some of the pano's I made and the color was great, better than a Nikon, but I don't feel the Schneider was any sharper and the copy I used also back-focused.

Yes, the 90 is very stiff! Both Nikon and Canon samples. Got the 50 today and it is much less stiff...

When you say "back focused", you mean the Schneider seemed to have more DOF behind your best focal point than in front?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:20:02 pm by allegretto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up