Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing up my images on three drives  (Read 2962 times)

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Backing up my images on three drives
« on: December 10, 2013, 09:57:28 am »

I have two 3 Terabyte drives for my images.  One is the backup.  When I backup, I use Superduper and have one drive mirror the other.  Now I want an off site backup using three older external drives.  Am I able to use Superduper to backup using all three drives?  Or should i just drag folders manually.  It is finally time for me to address this issue. 

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
Re: Backing up my images on three drives
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 08:40:46 am »

I never used Superduper or similar software, maybe I don't trust it too much  ???
I also back up most of my work on at least two external devices, and do it manually. Still, I guess it depends on your workflow...

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »

I use ChronoSync to run an incremental backup to an offsite machine (it's my mother's iMac, in fact, but it could as well be a NAS drive in her house) every night. It works, pretty much flawlessly, and even sends me an email telling me what it's backed up. Free updates for life, too. I recommend it.  Look here.

Jeremy

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 02:11:52 pm »

SuperDuper handles cloning local drives well.  It's what I do.

Buy drives in triples.  Put your working data on one drive.  Clone via SuperDuper to another drive after each work day.  Once a week, take the current back-up drive at work to your off-site storage (for me, my house), and then bring the back-up drive bring the back-up drive that was off-site to work.  I carry just the drives, leaving the electricity adapters and data cables in place.

Never have all three drives in the same physical location.

IME, spanning back-ups across more than one drive requires to much administration (in short, I have to think about what's where).  Your data is worth the cost of a new 3 TB drive.  (If I understand, you are asking whether you can use SuperDuper to span a back-up of your 3 TB drives to three older drives.)

ChronoSync get recommended regularly.  I haven't looked into it because I don't have high-speed Internet at my studio.

westfreeman

• West Freeman Photography
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 05:46:31 pm »

What ever you do - do it. and do it often

The last thing you want is a HD failure and then not to have a backup of that data.  That would hurt. So keep it up.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 08:10:04 pm »

I can't imagine going back to offsite physical drives anymore, such a PITA compared to the simplicity and ease of cloud solutions these days.  Backblaze.  Simple, cheap, fast (depending on your connection, but any pro should have a great connection if they are working).  Do nothing, you are always covered.

NickNod

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 01:03:17 am »

I upload some of them to the clound.  ;)

jduncan

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 08:24:16 am »

I can't imagine going back to offsite physical drives anymore, such a PITA compared to the simplicity and ease of cloud solutions these days.  Backblaze.  Simple, cheap, fast (depending on your connection, but any pro should have a great connection if they are working).  Do nothing, you are always covered.

I will consider using rsync that is build into the mac and a couple of scripts. Carbon Copy Cloner is a less geeky solution.

Here is a how to:
http://help.bombich.com/kb/dmg-and-remote/using-carbon-copy-cloner-to-backup-to-another-macintosh-on-your-network

I am not a professional photographer  (I work on systems), and I have a fast connection, but keep in mind that not everybody lives on the first world and  fast upload speed could be difficult to find in many places.  For someone working with  a one megabit upload speed 32GB is more than 71h using all the bandwidth (no internet access then)   under perfect conditions.
 And I can tell you 1Mbit upload is the best home service in Costa Rica at this moment for ADSL.

As they say :

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
—Tanenbaum, Andrew S.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneakernet

In places were you have capacity caps (not in my country) it could be cheeper too, just copy the disk and ship it to a safe location and get the current location disk back.

Best regards,

J. Duncan
english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: [1]   Go Up