Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 4800 troubles  (Read 1156 times)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
Epson 4800 troubles
« on: December 10, 2013, 04:55:15 am »

Hi Everyone. I bought a Epson Stylus Pro 4800 for 200 bucks a couple of weeks ago. I finally got some time to try it out and its not working the way its supposed to. some colors are inverted and some parts of the picture turned all B&W (the lighter parts it seems).

I've downloaded the profiles for the paper, i've printed from photoshop so photoshop handle the color profile. Do you have any idea what the problem might be?

Attached file is how it turned out. This is how it should be:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1XMNDztTUZ8/UhNsdkArPlI/AAAAAAAAg8k/vLGxAT036qg/s1600/cebbework.jpg

HSakols

• Hugh Sakols Photography
Re: Epson 4800 troubles
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 10:00:44 am »

Did you run the power cleaning cycle.  It usually does the job for me, but it uses a lot of ink. 

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 10:04:11 am »

Yeah i did, takes like 20% of the ink. damn you epson ;).

However seems like there is matte black in the light light black slot. So i called the person whom i bought it from and said that she used it and printed with it for years with no problem. Maybe there are ink settings i need to change? Do you know anything of this?

TMARK

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:36 am »

I'd get new carts.  I'm surprised that it would even print with the wrong cart. 

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:42:49 am »

If the previous owner was somehow able to install/use the wrong ink color (i.e. refillable carts with the wrong ink), then I would consider using something like Jon Cone's Flush carts/solution to clean/clear the lines, otherwise you're going to use a lot of ink to push/clean the printer.  As long as the head is good and the nozzles firing, you should be able to get this printer going again.  More cleans and nozzle checks!  I've got an old 4800 dedicated to cards only; I'd like a 3880 but the 4800 just won't die...

ken

TMARK

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:45:44 am »

I'd like a 3880 to0, if only for its smaller footprint.  My 4880 is like a 1982 Mercedes 240D:  it will not die.  It just works and works.  And works.  And clogs.  And won't take sheet paper but then it just works and works . . .

If the previous owner was somehow able to install/use the wrong ink color (i.e. refillable carts with the wrong ink), then I would consider using something like Jon Cone's Flush carts/solution to clean/clear the lines, otherwise you're going to use a lot of ink to push/clean the printer.  As long as the head is good and the nozzles firing, you should be able to get this printer going again.  More cleans and nozzle checks!  I've got an old 4800 dedicated to cards only; I'd like a 3880 but the 4800 just won't die...

ken

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:57:49 am »

I bought a used 4800 about six months ago for $500, which I considered a great price.  As I my intended use was for only black-and-white, I followed Paul Roark's instructions, bought MIS carts and Eboni ink (with dilutions I mix myself), and it runs like a charm.    If you got yours for only $200, you got a great deal, which is worth some extra trouble to get it working.  I'm thinking: new carts and ink.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 11:10:46 am »

I just ordered a light light black cartrige, hopefully it will work after i've recieved it.

Jup, usually they go for around usd 700 here in Sweden. If this won't work however, i will have wasted 320 usd for the printer and the new light light black ;)

Emilmedia

• Emilmedia.se
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 11:13:04 am »

Also, do you guys have any recommendations as for a complete cleaning? I found some on youtube, but those printers we're modified for different use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up