Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crepuscular Rays Over the Teton Range at Sunset  (Read 7234 times)

sdwilsonsct

Re: Crepuscular Rays Over the Teton Range at Sunset
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 11:08:49 am »

As I said, I remember the scene looking  very similar to the way it does in this image.  Back in the day when I shot Velvia the foreground would have been nearly black.

Yes, I think some people choose to show what they see, and others to present something closer to what film would capture. To each his own.

OTOH an ideal to strive for might be to show what is visible in a way that doesn't look too unnatural. In this category I put HDR shots that no one wonders about.

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:17 pm »

I've never claimed to be a documentary photographer.

We know it's not documentary; the question is whether it achieves suspension of disbelief.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 12:37:52 pm by Isaac »

Isaac

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »

This thread has me wondering about reality, remembrance and depiction.

Better change that to - subjective experience, remembrance and depiction - before someone drags us into a philosophical weedpatch :-)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 01:07:56 pm »

We know it's not documentary; the question is whether it achieves suspension of disbelief.

Isaac, I do not know if you invented the term or just quoting, but I like it tremendously! It seems to describe perfectly a starting point of the range I call 'believability.'
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:12:19 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2013, 01:17:33 pm »

Isaac, I do not know if you invented the term or just quoting, but I like it tremendously! It seems to describe perfectly a starting point of the range I call 'believability.'

He's quoting. Samuel Taylor Coleridge, 1817 (yes, I had to look up the date).

Jeremy

Isaac

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »

This thread has me wondering about reality, remembrance and depiction. Three different things.

"Time is a constant in the realm of photography but is not so in terms of our relationship to it. For instance, imagine a father, just home from work, tired and preoccupied, who goes to the park with his young daughter to push her on a swing. They stay for 20 minutes. For the father it may feel like and eternity; but for the daughter the time has flown by. They both experience the same amount of time passing.
Some years later, the memory of that timeline has reversed -- the daughter remembers that her father took her to the park to swing for hours; while the father, tired and preoccupied at the time, remembers it as only a few moments."

SWest

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 05:16:36 pm »

Very Beautiful

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2014, 06:11:21 pm »

I guess that, after so many accolades above, you wouldn't mind a dissenting view: to me, the sky is over-processed, to the point that it looks like a cutout. It is darker relative to the foreground, while the opposite is expected perceptually. Pardon my bluntness.

I agree with Slobodan on this and with Isaac and the quote from Ansel. I find that despite it being a wonderful image, it feels a bit "heavy"; perhaps raising the mid-tones would help and increasing the mid-tone contrast would breathe more life into what is already a vibrant photograph. Seeing is believing, so I've attached an edit (which also has -30 Blue Saturation in HSL). I apologize if you feel in doing this I've over-stepped the bounds of the forum.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2014, 06:28:56 pm »

Hi Terry, for me Brets original is closer to the light at sunset, treatment 'B' moves the eye from the mountains and rays to the lightened foreground more and the aspen gold tops lose some 'gold' and start to blend into the foreground, almost starts to take on a HDR ish look.

Just my humble opinion.

Brian.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2014, 06:33:13 pm »

...almost starts to take on a HDR ish look.

Uuuuugggghhhhh - not my intention at all! I have nothing but disdain for the garish, "paint on black velvet" look of HDR. My apologies!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BrianWJH

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »

Hi Terry, no need to apologize I wasn't suggesting that you would ever commit that sin.

Sometimes experimentation leads us to the doors of seduction and we must resist with all our might ;D

Brian.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up