Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error box? "...enountered problems reading this photo"  (Read 2934 times)

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
Error box? "...enountered problems reading this photo"
« on: December 09, 2013, 03:07:08 pm »

Just lately I have been running into CR2 raw files (previously edited w/ xmp) that show a black dot with explanation point upper right.  When I click on the photo I get the error box, "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo. You will not be able to make adjustments to the photo."  In Win 7 explorer, the file size and xmp side car look normal.  PhotoMechanic has a black preview saying "Unsupported Format Variant." It looks like a random number of files in a folder of files.  I have also had the same problem with jpg files.

The files were processed, jpgs exported, a month ago +-.  And left mostly untouched.

This is the first I have had problems like this in workflow I've used since the first version of Lightroom (now v5.2).  Would like prevent it or fix it if I can. 

Any similar experiences, advice appreciated.

John

eliedinur

Re: Error box? "...enountered problems reading this photo"
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:03 pm »

Images backed up?
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:59 pm »

Yes, have backups from the original card saves on drive that is usually turned off and generally not used, no edits/xmp. So far there have been no problems there.

I usually work with the CR2 files until all my edits are done.  Convert to DNG would be my last step, but I don't always get to it.

Any thoughts if DNG files would be less likely to get compromised?

I have not tried deleting the xmp to see if I can open the file, reimport, or open in camera raw.

What bothers me is that I haven't had this happen before.  Occasionally, I have old had files on a CD that would not open, but not from a hard drive.  Guess I've been lucky.  Will have to put more stock in backups.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 04:31:21 pm »

I'm wondering if this is an indication of hard drive problems. So do you get the same problem from copies restored from your backup?

DNG might help reveal an ongoing problem (you can run a checksum validation) but it's a side issue here.

johnkiv

• JohnKishIV photography
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 10:00:58 am »

The back up files from a different drive have been fine.  The problem has been on my working drive, which is an external drive plugged into an eSATA port.  A combination that has been trouble free for a few years now.

It is a 1TB drive that have I run a lot of files through editing to selects then edited in Lightroom, jpg exports.  I Eventually delete the out takes.  I currently has about 1/3 free space, but it was quite full earlier this year.  Will be ordering new drives soon, making back ups, staring a new working drive.
Pages: [1]   Go Up