Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony RX-10  (Read 5860 times)

Isaac

Sony RX-10
« on: December 08, 2013, 10:35:52 pm »

Thanks for exactly the kind-of camera review that I come here to see.

Telecaster

Re: Sony RX-10
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:01:44 pm »

Thanks for exactly the kind-of camera review that I come here to see.

Yeah, this one reminds me of Michael's Minolta A2 review...musta been 8 or 9 years ago. That was the one that got me taking EVFs seriously. I still have my Panasonic FZ50—mechanical zoom control—though it's been years since I've used it.

-Dave-

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 12:18:35 am »

How big is the camera (compared, say to a Olympus M1 or a Panasonic GX7?)

It'd be nice if you could add a photo of the camera in Michael's hands.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:21:28 am »

How big is the camera (compared, say to a Olympus M1 or a Panasonic GX7?)

It'd be nice if you could add a photo of the camera in Michael's hands.

I find this site useful for size comparisons: http://camerasize.com/compare/
--
Robert

Isaac

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:00 pm »

And that web page can be used to generate short-links for specific comparisons --

compared to Olympus M1

compared to Panasonic GX7

John Camp

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:37 pm »

Thanks everyone. That comparative site was very useful. The Sony, it turns out, is very close to the size of a GH3, one of which I've owned.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 05:13:32 am »

A nice idea, but ill advised.
I can't see a place for this at the asking price (£1000 in the UK)

Worryingly I'm seeing an increased trend to the bad old days of the 90's with power zoom v mechanical zoom. There is no beating a good mechanical zoom (and focus) do it right nail it down and forget gimmicky motor driven focus/zoom.

I tried a Canon 18-135mm STM the other day and that focus by wire sucks, simply sucks badly for manual focus. Why makers are wasting their time with this I've no idea

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:14:41 am »

Worryingly I'm seeing an increased trend to the bad old days of the 90's with power zoom v mechanical zoom. There is no beating a good mechanical zoom (and focus) do it right nail it down and forget gimmicky motor driven focus/zoom.

I tried a Canon 18-135mm STM the other day and that focus by wire sucks, simply sucks badly for manual focus. Why makers are wasting their time with this I've no idea

+ 100%.

And while we generalise, how about proper pentaprisms with interchangeable screens designed for manual focus? A nice split-image with grid...

Rob C

hjulenissen

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 09:22:32 am »

The camera may or may not be a good camera. I think that many were confused with its conclusion in the same model range as the RX-1/RX-100.

I, for one, was hoping/expecting for the RX10 to be an APS-C sensor fixed-focal length camera borrowing from the Rx-1 but at a lower price point.

-h

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:10:38 pm »

I can't see a place for this at the asking price

The phrase that describes the most important segment of the DSLR community is: “soccer mom”. … The three reasons parents buy high end cameras is telephoto reach, low light capability, and the ability to quickly focus on their children when they are jumping a hurdle or scoring a goal.

… power zoom v mechanical zoom … Why makers are wasting their time with this I've no idea

Mr Reichmann thought about that and told us what he thought in the review he wrote -- "Sony chose a combination that works, and works really well, except that part of the compromise that needed to be made was fly-by-wire zooming. A mechanically coupled zoom ring would likely have added considerably to the already large girth of the lens."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:19:00 pm by Isaac »

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 02:28:38 pm »

I took a look at this Sony camera for my wife but ended up with the new Olympus Stylus 1 instead of the Sony.   I didn't see enough difference to warrent the premium price relative to the Olympus (800 USD).    Unfortuntely this is on back order so I have no real world comparison to add to the conversation.   
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 02:59:39 pm »

When I read the first reviews I was turned off by the fly by wire zoom. I'm certainly not a fan.

But I really wanted a small camera for non-photo mission travel, that would still meet my IQ requirements.

So I decided to order one and give it a try.

I had read that Sony included a "step" mode to the zoom. This is accessed:

Menu, Gear symbol, page 4, Zoom Func. on Ring - set to step.

Now you just have to knudge the zoom ring and it automatically steps through:

24/35/50/70/100/135/200 (or nudge counter clockwise and it goes backward).

This eliminates the four turns of the wrist issue, and in my limited testing, it doesn't take me long to get the zoom I'm looking for in a particular setting.

As to why it is included in the first place, I agree with MR's contention that a manual connection would make the lens larger. But also that since they concentrated on video, having a fly by wire zoom means you can have smooth zoom video.

Every camera has its compromises. I think this is a pretty compelling bit of kit. When I don't need FF IQ, this baby is smaller and lighter than just my 24-70 F2.8 lens!

Michael, try the step zoom and tell us what you think?
Bob
 ht

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 07:51:29 pm »

For what my wife is looking for in a camera, yes.    She want's to zoom A LOT and isn't very concerned about the diminished image quality.  Small size is an important consideration - it has to fit into a small pocketbook.  SLR is too much work and too much to learn.   Print? That's what I'm for. 

Ha.  Sorry I'm going off message.  Beer on a Friday so it's okay? 

She's learning the knobs in Lightroom: Especially saturation - kicks up both vibrancy +30.  Yikes.   More Cowbell = More Contrast.   It's a hoot to watch her at work.

Back on message.  I'm actually looking forward to using the Olympus.  I bet it IS good enough.  And a competitor.

"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Isaac

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2013, 12:14:09 pm »

I bet it IS good enough.  And a competitor.

I have a 5 year old Sony W300 compact that has a 1/1.7" sensor, and has been good enough for many photos and 12x9 prints -- so I don't doubt you'll find the Olympus to be good enough.

I also don't doubt that the larger 1/CX sensor makes a noticeable difference, for both Nikon 1 and Sony RX10.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 02:56:04 pm »

dpreview It's a RX10 competitor, then?

Depends what you want.
No it's not really a competitor. But there are alternatives like the Fuji XS-1 or HS-50, whilst both have smaller sensors they at least have half decent IQ and raw. Then add Panasonic into the mix with their FZ models like the 200. Whilst none of these will have the IQ of the Sony (1" sensor is very good no question) there are alternatives for a fraction of the price.

Maybe a camera such as above with a big zoom can deliver decent enough IQ for the intended market.
Sony's issue is mostly price, few have a problem with what's on offer, but I think a lot of folks will think twice about it for £900 odd.

The real competitor to the Sony are DSLR's you can buy a DSLR for £300 odd, and add a tele lens for significantly less. You could argue 200mm f2.8 is fast..but then depending on what you buy you could bag a lens that does nicely and have a bigger APS-C sensor

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 04:11:03 am »

Depends what you want.
No it's not really a competitor.

It does indeed depend what you want. There was a competition for me, including the RX10 and the various compact sensor megazooms, which the Stylus won, on price and size and IQ (compared to the compact sensor megazooms) and because the performance of the RX10 didn't improve on that of other equipment on my shelves. The Stylus is a lot of fun to use and its IQ is fine for many of my purposes. If I were restricted to just one camera and had to choose between the Stylus and the RX10 then the Stylus probably wouldn't be a competitor.
Ken Cameron
Pages: [1]   Go Up