Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learn Photoshop CC today.  (Read 2816 times)

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
Learn Photoshop CC today.
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:56:16 pm »

Hi.  I'm looking for a Photoshop CC book or course to master (yes) Photoshop.  I've used computers for decades, earned a living managing them, have been certified in a lot of programs (Aperture, Excel, Word, Access, etc.), and now have the need and desire to master pixel-level control of pixel parameters:  Photoshop.  If I can put it bluntly: I want a book/course for deft, sophisticated, computer users.  It should be _comprehensive_, take a very broad view, and provide explanations that withstand scrutiny.  It must make sense.  I don't want hand-holding; I don't want to be told when to use a particular solution (I know my needs; I'm imaginative); and I retch at guru-splaining (substituting verbiage — or, worse, diagrams that don't make sense — for teaching).  What out there teaches Photoshop with the expectation that the user is able to understand how the program works?

I'm especially interested in:
 - everything about selecting pixels
 - everything about layers
 - how to set up test layouts (e.g.: every other pixel transparent; ten vertical bars of discrete luminance values; etc.).

Thanks.

richardm33

Re: Learn Photoshop CC today.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »

While there are a few new features in CC not present in Photoshop CS6 the bulk of the feature set is the same.  A series of books I like are the Adobe Creative Team's 'Classroom in a Book'.  You can get Photoshop CS6 CinB on amazon.

Also Adobe has a tremendous amount of help available including on-line help files, videos, Adobe TV, etc.  Persistence is the key. 

Good luck.

JimGoshorn

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:11:53 pm »

You can also check out Lynda.com for courses and see if there's something there for you.

Jim

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 05:36:32 pm »

While there are a few new features in CC not present in Photoshop CS6 the bulk of the feature set is the same.  A series of books I like are the Adobe Creative Team's 'Classroom in a Book'.  You can get Photoshop CS6 CinB on amazon.

Also Adobe has a tremendous amount of help available including on-line help files, videos, Adobe TV, etc.  Persistence is the key.  

Good luck.

Thanks — I'll take a close look at the Classroom in a Book.  {Corrected typo in this line.}

Persistence is the key because the information is all jumbled up.  I'd love to find a book that builds on understood concepts, instead of supplying solutions to specific problems.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:59:16 pm by KirbyKrieger »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 05:58:22 pm »

You can also check out Lynda.com for courses and see if there's something there for you.

Jim

Thanks Jim.  Can you recommend a teacher there?  I've been though 10 hours of PS One-to-One with Deke McClelland. It's pretty much the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 06:10:33 pm »

Hi.  I'm looking for a Photoshop CC book or course to master (yes) Photoshop.  I've used computers for decades, earned a living managing them, have been certified in a lot of programs (Aperture, Excel, Word, Access, etc.), and now have the need and desire to master pixel-level control of pixel parameters:  Photoshop.  If I can put it bluntly: I want a book/course for deft, sophisticated, computer users.  It should be _comprehensive_, take a very broad view, and provide explanations that withstand scrutiny.  It must make sense.  I don't want hand-holding; I don't want to be told when to use a particular solution (I know my needs; I'm imaginative); and I retch at guru-splaining (substituting verbiage — or, worse, diagrams that don't make sense — for teaching).  What out there teaches Photoshop with the expectation that the user is able to understand how the program works?

I'm especially interested in:
 - everything about selecting pixels
 - everything about layers
 - how to set up test layouts (e.g.: every other pixel transparent; ten vertical bars of discrete luminance values; etc.).

Thanks.

a book i've found that's really great is Photoshop Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, and James Porto...it's the second edition...just wonderful...

jrsforums

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 06:17:27 pm »

Thanks Jim.  Can you recommend a teacher there?  I've been though 10 hours of PS One-to-One with Deke McClelland. It's pretty much the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Chris Orwig, if I remember correctly
John

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 07:36:54 pm »

+1, correct.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 10:04:07 pm »

Thanks (and to Bart as well)   :) .  Watching Chris Orwig's intro now.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 10:08:30 pm »

a book i've found that's really great is Photoshop Masking and Compositing by Katrin Eismann, Sean Duggan, and James Porto...it's the second edition...just wonderful...

Looks excellent — and highly rated on Amazon.  Does anyone care to second this before I commit the $38?  I will, of course, read the "free" pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Katrin-Eismann/dp/0735712794

Thanks Morris!

{Price corrected.}
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:10:35 pm by KirbyKrieger »

jrsforums

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 10:53:47 pm »

Looks excellent — and highly rated on Amazon.  Does anyone care to second this before I commit the $38?  I will, of course, read the "free" pages.

http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Katrin-Eismann/dp/0735712794

Thanks Morris!

{Price corrected.}

Link you have is version 1

Ver 2
http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Masking-Compositing-Voices-Matter/dp/0321701003/
John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 02:45:56 am »

Version 1 was always the book on masking and compositing. Excellent. I'd just ask if masking and compositing is what you want to do, because it is very much about extracting elements from images and compositing them with others. So it's ideal if that is what you want to do.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:31:47 am by johnbeardy »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 11:27:28 am »

Looks excellent — and highly rated on Amazon.  Does anyone care to second this before I commit the $38?  I will, of course, read the "free" pages.

Thanks Morris!

{Price corrected.}

yes, read the free pages, go through the contents pages...I found Skills, Selections and Masking, chapters 6 to 11 full of helpful instruction that can be used for a wide variety of work...

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
**Learning** Photoshop CC today.
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 02:15:09 pm »

Hi.  Just popping back in to thank everyone  :)   and give additional notice to Chris Orwig's videos, which I've found clear, direct, on-point, and carefully assembled into an effective course.  I should be ready to move up from the steppes around the central plateau when my masking & compositing book arrives next week.

Thanks again,

Kirby.
Pages: [1]   Go Up