Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Guess the Format  (Read 2393 times)

JV

Guess the Format
« on: December 08, 2013, 07:35:57 pm »

Given that it is a snow day anyway and venturing outside is not too much of an option: FF, APS-C, FT or compact?
http://guesstheformat.com/photo

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Guess the Format
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 07:42:43 pm »

I missed almost all, but some really good pictures!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 04:06:46 am »

I got around 60% but I quit after some 60 shots. Difficult to see at some times especially at this size.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 06:16:06 am »

It can be real hard. I have some casual portrait images shot with the nikon 32mm f1.2 at f1.2 on the V2 that many would mistake for FF images.

Cheers,
Bernard

JV

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:48:14 am »

I got around 60% but I quit after some 60 shots. Difficult to see at some times especially at this size.

Between 50% and 60% when I quit, in line with the stats I guess.  I didn't find it easy.

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

I guessed most right, but it's only meaningful with some obvious shots (aka DOF)
And then mostly portraits, because even a small sensor has small ish DOF for close up shots.

At those sizes even a compact can look good
Thus not particularly useful, fun possibly for some but I don't remember anyone saying you can't take some great shots with a FF, APS-C, m 4/3, compact or whatever camera you have.

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:13:45 am »

Most of the shots I saw were such that they looked like either [or in fact any] camera could have taken them, depending on settings.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

MrSmith27

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »

Pointless.

How could anyone tell from tiny, compressed pictures if they were from a four thirds or an APS-C?

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 02:51:48 am »

That was fun.  I started out really well  - in the 80's but dang I can't tell the difference between the APS and 4/3rds that much especially with some of the images that have been altered or are blurry.   

What I noticed was the few full frame shots I missed and guess they were APS-c … they were all from Nikon full frame.  :o  And the few I thought were full frame but weren't were all the Olympus OM-D     
Rolleiflex USA

JV

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 07:09:04 pm »

That was fun.  I started out really well  - in the 80's but dang I can't tell the difference between the APS and 4/3rds that much especially with some of the images that have been altered or are blurry.   

What I noticed was the few full frame shots I missed and guess they were APS-c … they were all from Nikon full frame.  :o  And the few I thought were full frame but weren't were all the Olympus OM-D     

I have been thinking about giving m43 a new try.

I looked into it a few years ago with the Panasonic GF1 and GH2 but I was not entirely convinced.

I have the impression with the E-M5 and E-M1 the image quality has significantly improved.

Pointless.

How could anyone tell from tiny, compressed pictures if they were from a four thirds or an APS-C?

Not entirely IMO.  I invested in Medium Format Digital gear about 4 years ago.

I am pretty sure that at that time the differences between the formats was still more noticeable, as was the case for film.

Nowadays these differences are getting smaller and smaller every day is my impression with the best of each format offering image quality that is sufficient for most professional uses.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 07:25:45 pm »

Hi,

What this site demonstrates that it is not possible to judge image quality of 8-36 MP systems based on 0.5 MP web images. Sometimes it is possible to guess based on DoF as small formats have very wide DoF.

Colour rendition may be possible to judge, if the images are tagged with correct color space, etc…

Best regards
Erik

Given that it is a snow day anyway and venturing outside is not too much of an option: FF, APS-C, FT or compact?
http://guesstheformat.com/photo
Erik Kaffehr

Ed Blagden

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 03:05:44 am »

Hi,

What this site demonstrates that it is not possible to judge image quality of 8-36 MP systems based on 0.5 MP web images. Sometimes it is possible to guess based on DoF as small formats have very wide DoF.

Colour rendition may be possible to judge, if the images are tagged with correct color space, etc…

Best regards
Erik

Exactly, although I did notice the iq on some (not all) of the compact shots was noticeably worse.  Something to do with the tiny pixels I think.  The only giveaway was DOF.

I found myself able to reliably identify the compact and FF shots, but really there is no appreciable difference between APS-C and 4/3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up