Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 Cleaning  (Read 7157 times)

Farmer

Re: Epson 3880 Cleaning
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 05:16:23 pm »

Next generation Epson print heads will use a new system:

PrecisionCore - http://www.epson.com/_alfresco/LandingPages/landing/PrecisionCore/PrecisionCore_White_Paper.pdf

Chapter 6 (page 10).  Interesting.
Phil Brown

tsapiano

• Pixagent
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2013, 01:04:15 am »

Yeah, if you're printing both MK and PK you should be fine.  Saving up to run sets is the way to go, just don't save up for too long :-)

Good to know - will just have to keep the balance in mind I guess!

As to the cost?  That obviously changes for each user, but generally ink is one of the smaller cost components of producing prints (compared to media, time, capital equipment and so on).  Not wasting ink and money - definitely important - but needs to be kept in perspective of the overall costs (where there may be other areas for savings).

Very true, it's just that I've got a decent handle on the other variables as they haven't changed much from the older printer (uses the same paper, and the workflow is basically identical).  This printer uses ink in a very different way than it's predecessor (tubes vs direct mount, much bigger cartridges, lower per-mL cost, etc.) and it happened to do this while I was still in the process of characterizing it's performance so I'm paying a bit more attention to the details right now than I will in the long run.  Ink is a somewhat complex animal in that it takes a bit more of a strategic approach to managing costs, but you are correct that it is certainly not the largest component in the equation.  Just a matter of nailing down some best practices and getting some general numbers for the long term, and once that's done things get a lot simpler.

Either way, a big thanks to everyone involved here for the insight!

jck

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:53:45 pm »

A couple days ago I powered up my 3880 that had been collecting dust for a little over 2 years. It switched over to mk and did what ever else it automatically does after a 2 year hibernation. I did a nozzle check without even bothering to shake the cartridges. No problems. Then I printed out some test images on some sample epson hot and cold press papers I had. No problems. So far so good.

nkpoulsen

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2013, 01:04:09 pm »

After the cost of ink I experienced with a clogger like the 4000, the 3880 I purchased is like a dream come true.  I just powered up my 3880 after many months of non-use.  Yes, it went through a single cleaning cycle; but afterwards, it printed just fine.

What got me on the 4000, was the repeated cleanings that would be needed to get it running.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up