Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street Shooting  (Read 2333 times)

cjogo

Street Shooting
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »

Shop Keeper Riga '89

Rob C

Re: Street Shooting
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 04:20:19 am »

You could, with justification, title this shot Aurora.

;-)

I like this sort of image; reminds me of those guys working in Paris a long time ago.

Rob C

David Jilek

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:45:43 am »

Nice shot indeed. Very nice.

cjogo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »

I only had a 80mm lens and a waist level --  Couldn't bring too much into the Country at that time ...

Iluvmycam

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:06 pm »

Pleasing pix!

seamus finn

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:52 pm »

That's a very fine shot and great timing. Nice tones too. No need to explain what lens you had at the time. It's what you got - not how you got it!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:03:01 pm by seamus finn »

cjogo

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 09:08:23 pm »

That's a very fine shot and great timing. Nice tones too. No need to explain what lens you had at the time. It's what you got - not how you got it!

Just in case some suggested  > I should had zoomed :-)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 08:22:56 am »

Very nice shot, tones and all.
The kind of stuff that makes me want to shoot b/w.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 09:56:34 am »

Very nice shot, tones and all.
The kind of stuff that makes me want to shoot b/w.

You can do it two ways now...

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 02:06:45 pm »

You can do it two ways now...

Rob C

Still only one way to shoot B&W Rob,

With B&W film loaded in a camera.

The other is an emulation with all but the Leica M which would give the same mindset as film for the shooting part.

Cheers,

W

cjogo

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 02:36:43 pm »

When I grab a camera to go and shoot art  ( rarely)  I first :: totally drain all color from my screen.  Mostly never turn my screen around to view anyways ..didn't have a "instant image"  on my Hassy ~ so don't seem to need it in the field , these days either  ..:=-)

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:54 pm »

Still only one way to shoot B&W Rob,
With B&W film loaded in a camera.

The other is an emulation with all but the Leica M which would give the same mindset as film for the shooting part.

Cheers,

W

Actually, that's true. In fact I proved it again today (unwillingly) with my Xmas Weston Coke bottle. Could I get a good black/white out of that blasted pepper? Not really, and you have no idea how many layers I effed about with before deciding to spoof it up as bauble. It simply wouldn't do the change and look filmic: it just looked flat. Like a pulled, overexposed print.

This isn't anything as esoteric as original sin conceptual thinking about the enormity of the decision: colour or not colour; it's just a failure of the digital medium to handle particular depths well.

;-(

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 04:02:27 pm »

When I grab a camera to go and shoot art  ( rarely)  I first :: totally drain all color from my screen.  Mostly never turn my screen around to view anyways ..didn't have a "instant image"  on my Hassy ~ so don't seem to need it in the field , these days either  ..:=-)

I agree with that; and with the Nikon Matrix system, most shots are so well covered that you hardly even need to look at a histogram. I seldom used Polaroid either, though I did buy a back once, not exactly certain why. Do you still have your 'blads?

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 04:44:37 pm »

Bravo!  Since I only use digital capture for commercial assignments I don't desaturate the screen but I also leave it turned off.  Amazing how much more shooting one gets to a battery charge, by the way.

cjogo

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »

I agree with that; and with the Nikon Matrix system, most shots are so well covered that you hardly even need to look at a histogram. I seldom used Polaroid either, though I did buy a back once, not exactly certain why. Do you still have your 'blads?

Rob C

Sold everything :   8X10 --  3 = 4X5's Linhoff /Sinar -- & an array of nice lenses .......RZ  /Rollei SL / Hassy / Nikon's /Makina ---  Two motorized enlargers and 20+years of darkroom gear ... nothing left .. 

cjogo

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »

The only two digital Canons I have owned ( 20d & 60d )  -- have the availability to reverse the LCD ;-)  ( & keeps your screen from scratches ) ..really don't need the screen except for menus ... only shoot full manual.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 09:43:23 pm by cjogo »

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 03:53:53 am »

It forces me to ask, and don't reply if you feel that I'm intruding, but what happened?

Life-changes seldom seem to come alone.

Rob C

cjogo

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 04:16:45 am »

It forces me to ask, and don't reply if you feel that I'm intruding, but what happened?

Life-changes seldom seem to come alone.

Rob C

It's a new digital age -- old school approach & the cameras just don't work in this market.   The new kids came to the job market -- working for about 10% of our incomes .  Shooting thousands of images on auto-program and then trying to save most of the useable ones > in CS.  The budgets changed in the last 3-4 years ~  drastically ~ with Corp and portraits/ weddings .. Quantity instead of quality found a niche ... Rush service became a norm.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 04:18:50 am by cjogo »

WalterEG

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 06:04:26 am »

Amen to that Cjogo.  Rome has been sacked yet again.

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 09:46:27 am »

It's a new digital age -- old school approach & the cameras just don't work in this market.   The new kids came to the job market -- working for about 10% of our incomes .  Shooting thousands of images on auto-program and then trying to save most of the useable ones > in CS.  The budgets changed in the last 3-4 years ~  drastically ~ with Corp and portraits/ weddings .. Quantity instead of quality found a niche ... Rush service became a norm.  

Thanks for the response - I had thought that gallery-style work was still valid, and the more filmic the better. I guess that the reality is that the bubble has burst and we are all out of soap.

Rush service - my special grouse.  I used to dread Friday afternoons. The 'phone would ring and it was always the same thing on Fridays: we need those prints asap Monday morning... guess whose weekend was screwed! Sickening thing was, I sometimes went to the same offices mid-week and the shots were still lying on the desks where I'd left them on Monday, package not even opened. I suppose the ADs didn't stop their lives on the weekend, though.

Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up