Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Laptop to Desktop  (Read 2165 times)

brianrybolt

From Laptop to Desktop
« on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:22 pm »

I have been using Lightroom from its inception and have bought all the LL instructional videos on Lightroom plus Victoria Bampton’s ebooks.  I still do not know how to transfer seamlessly the work that I do in the field that has been imported to Lightroom on my laptop.  I do not create a different catalogue for these pictures just new folders that mirror the same folder/file structure that I have on my desktop.

I want to be able to merge the laptop images and edits to my desktop keeping the same structure.  I hope this is clear.  Help will be much appreciated.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: From Laptop to Desktop
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:26:16 pm »

You need to look at File > Export as Catalog, and on the other computer File > Import from Another Catalog.

John

Simon Garrett

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 12:54:59 pm »

You need to look at File > Export as Catalog, and on the other computer File > Import from Another Catalog.

John
Yes, that's what I do. 

Or, it can be simpler if your laptop connects at home to a network with your desktop. 

From your desktop (with the laptop online on your home network) in LR simply do "Import from another catalog", and navigate to the folder on your laptop containing the LR catalog.  You can then pick out the folder and photos you want to import across to your desktop. 

It can be bit of a fiddle getting stuff to go in the right folder on the desktop, but it's dead easy to drag and drop the folder to the right place if it gets put in in the wrong place. 

lelouarn

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 09:48:00 pm »

Hi,
I am wondering, if there is another way to transfer pictures from a small "travel catalog" to my main machine. The problem I have, is that I do a lot of panoramas, and pre-assemble them on the road. So in additions to pictures which are in the "travel specific" LR catalog, I have panorama files (.pano files - Autopano Giga config files) and exported TIFFs which make the panorama and are not in the catalog, as they are temporary files.

So what I do now to transfer the files from the laptop to the main machine is:
- Plug the external drive containing the travl catalogue, pictures and pano files to my main machine
- Import the travel catalog to the main one using "import from catalog", but do not move the pictures (which are on an external drive)
- Copy the directories by hand from the external drive to the main machine
- From LR on my main machine, find the missing pictures (LR doesn't know where they are, since I copied them by hand).

The last step is a bit tedious, as I have a directory per shooting day, and each one wants to be found separately. Perhaps I could put the files from on trip into a directory and that would help the finding process ? Or perhaps there is a better way, by for example copying the directories from within LR ?

Thanks !

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 04:14:37 am »

Such as moving the directories in LR? You're almost there. Once you have done the "import from catalog" step, drag those directories on LR from the external drive to where you want them on the main machine. If these AutoPano files are in a directory which is shown in LR, they will be moved when you move the directory - even if LR can't display those files.

A little point is that if these folders are subfolders, you can correct the top level folder and the subfolders will be found. But it's generally better to do these tasks within LR.

John

lelouarn

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »

Ok, I'll try the dragging from inside LR. Thanks a bunch !

lmwacctg

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:32:02 am »

Try Julieanne Kost's  free training videos at http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos.

I remember viewing the video "How to Use Lightroom 5 on Location" which to the best of my recollection may deal with some of what you are trying to achieve.

Good Luck.
Don
Pages: [1]   Go Up