Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Christening Font  (Read 1861 times)

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
The Christening Font
« on: December 05, 2013, 07:32:26 pm »

Taken in a small church on the Isle of Mull a few days ago.

The tiny little church is called St Kilda's and can be found at Lochbuie on the Isle of Mull. The link gives you more information, but oddly enough doesn't show you this particular window or aspect of the church, which is immediately to your right after walking through the main entrance and vestibule, which is also tiny - is something like this small open room in the side of a church called an 'Apse'?

Dave
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 07:38:27 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Peter McLennan

Re: The Christening Font
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:26:05 pm »

Absolutely superb image, Dave.  Perfectly seen and executed.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 11:32:27 pm »

Absolutely superb image, Dave.  Perfectly seen and executed.

+1.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 02:55:51 am »

Very nice, moody shot.
Mystic.

WalterEG

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 03:56:28 am »

is something like this small open room in the side of a church called an 'Apse'?
Dave

No Dave,

An Apse is at the other end of the church and is usually rounded — it forms the end wall of the sanctuary or chancel.

The only name I can think of for the area illustrated is a Baptistry although doubtless there will be some ancient Anglo-Celtic traditions in the area that could see it named something entirely different.

Cheers,

W
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:03:46 pm by WalterEG »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

The apse is the semicircular space behind the altar.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 04:18:03 pm »

Dave - Curious about this, what you have given as the title of the photo is ostensibly totally obscured? The real focus of the image is the stain glass window and the rays eminating from it...some of the roof and other architecture.  Save for some rim light around the base and the top of the opening (creating a strange floating "halo") - there is no understanding of it...the material or shape of the basin of the baptismal font. I don't know if this image can be salvaged...but it needs "clarity" (maybe position of camera...I would have tried to get closer to the basin...and perhaps lower to get more of the roof peak). It seems like a good scouting shot for later work perhaps /B
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:56:23 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 08:18:28 pm »

Dave - Curious about this, what you have given as the title of the photo is ostensibly totally obscured? The real focus of the image is the stain glass window and the rays eminating from it...some of the roof and other architecture.  Save for some rim light around the base and the top of the opening (creating a strange floating "halo") - there is no understanding of it...the material or shape of the basin of the baptismal font. I don't know if this image can be salvaged...but it needs "clarity" (maybe position of camera...I would have tried to get closer to the basin...and perhaps lower to get more of the roof peak). It seems like a good scouting shot for later work perhaps /B

An explanation is needed - I called the image the Christening Font, because the day I shot this image, there was a really heavy storm blowing in and the skies were leaden and dark grey and it was also less than an hour before sunset, so I knew what light there was, would be quickly disappearing. I have been shooting this little church every time I go to Mull, which is about 5 years now and knew pretty much exactly what I wanted to do this time. Unfortunately by the time I had managed to sneak away from our hosts on my own and arrived at the little church, the light was so low inside (as in pitch black and I couldn't see my hand in front of my face until my eyes adjusted after about 20 minutes) that I quickly realised that there was no way I could see to focus on anything other than the feeble light shining through the stained glass window onto the edge of the font, yes I know, I should have taken my head torch, but I didn't and without hunting down the fuse box in the pitch black, there was no way I could find where to turn on the lights. So the only thing I could use to guess my hyper-focal distance, was that leading edge of the Christening Font, which even then was only barely visible and hope that the rest of the scene would be sufficiently sharp. I then used f/22 and ISO 100 (even though neither of these were the optimal settings in the circumstances, I just wanted to make sure in the limited time and light I had) to keep the noise down as much as possible and hoped there would be enough DoF at such close range, to get the whole scene into the shot as I was having to imagine it would turn out. It then came down to experimenting with using longer and longer shutter speeds in the limited time I had left with the receding and feeble light and this shot took approximately 13 minutes using bulb mode, with me sat on a pew in the cold and the dark in a small church, on my own as the wind and rain howled outside. I manage to get three shots in just under the hour BTW. I would have loved to be able to reframe it and perhaps include the top most portion of the arch, but I couldn't even see the arch, so had to base the shot on what I hoped would be in the final capture based on how I remembered it was laid out the last time I visited, but because the outer edges of the shot are so dark, I don't think this really matters, as we normally look into the lighter areas and not into the shadows.

So that is why I called the shot the Christening Font, because that is what I was having to base the entire image upon. But I suppose no one but me would know this, so perhaps I should have explained more fully  :)

But either which way, I am very happy with the result, when the situation really was dictating that I should get nothing at all and I am also happy knowing that I could not have done better under the circumstances, so I apologise if anyone feels that the image is lacking in any way and can only say that this was the best that I could do   ;)

Dave
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:26:54 pm by Dave (Isle of Skye) »

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:50 am »

Which proves yet again that machines see more than we can.

Personally (and this has been seconded by a couple of others here whose work I admire), I feel that attention to all details within an image results in none of those details actually standing out as the chief motivator to the shot.  

It's why, I suppose, I find it strange that dedicated shooters of landscape appear to detest and to avoid at all costs the attributes of selective focussing. Perhaps it's old St A to blame - I'm not sure, but I find myself reading so much about T/S lenses etc. and little of that seems to be in relation to architectural work...

I just love the sense of depth that one gets by looking through or over or under something blurred at another thing rendered crisply beyond; it's an experience similar to looking through binoculars in a forest: three dimensions you can amost touch with your senses, never mind your hands. I'm not suggesting you take your binoculars down to your local busy beach, of course, but do try shooting wide open a little more - you might enjoy it after you recover from the shock.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:50:39 am by Rob C »

Ed Blagden

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2013, 09:24:19 am »

I absolutely love the shot.  I honestly wouldn't want it any brighter; when I opened the jpeg for the first time I thought "dim religious light" (and I mean that in a good way).  I really wouldn't want it any other way.  It just works.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:15:38 am »

+1
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Kathy

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 11:39:40 am »

churly

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:01:18 pm »

Dave, Your treatment of the subject is wonderfully subtle.
Chuck Hurich

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 06:28:26 pm »

Dave, Your treatment of the subject is wonderfully subtle.

Thanks everyone, I really do appreciate ALL of your feedback  ;D

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up