Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe CC - Question  (Read 5055 times)

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
Adobe CC - Question
« on: December 05, 2013, 02:22:52 pm »

I haven't looked into Adobe Creative Cloud for a while, so I have one major question:

Assuming I where to get into the CC (I would use the whole suite), what happens when I stop paying Adobe? Are all my files created since moving to the cloud now obsolete?

Wouldn't it be better if we could keep whatever state our software was in at the moment we stopped payment (rather than reverting to CS6).

For me this is the prime issue. Affordability is second to the idea of "renting" the software.

I am happy with CS6 for now, but what happens down the road when I "need" to upgrade? I am looking into the future with these questions.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Adobe CC - Question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:29:54 pm »

Well, your files do not become obsolete, just new features, introduced to CC and not existing in CS6, will be lost.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:38:57 pm »

In the future, when you get a new camera that is not supported by standalone versions, and you get a CC version...yes if you stop renting you lose access.  Not the files, just the program.  Of course it would be better if we got to keep them...it would be better if we didn't have to rent at all.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:26:41 pm »

That is what makes me nervous. If I get a new camera then I may be stuck. (Unless Lightroom continues to be standalone).

Also, since I use Adobe products for a large number of projects, not being able to open and edit my files after my subscription ends would be a big problem.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:28:47 pm »

Last day of renting period:
Buy new harddisks.
Bulk convert to Tiff ...

Dave (Isle of Skye)

• I've even written a book about it
    • SkyePhotoGuide.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 05:20:11 pm »

That is what makes me nervous. If I get a new camera then I may be stuck.

Jonathan, maybe this piece of software could be the answer you are looking for, because according to the blurb, this will make your PS CS6 future proof and open/convert all Raw files from any new camera, now and also going into the future, as well as allowing you to run this Raw file converter as a filter within your layer stacks.

Does anyone here use "MetaRaw" and if so, can I ask what you think of it and does it really do what it says on the tin?

Dave

Isaac

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 05:28:07 pm »

If I get a new camera then I may be stuck.

1) If you get a new camera you could use the free Adobe DNG Converter and edit the DNG files with the CS6 you already bought.

not being able to open and edit my files after my subscription ends would be a big problem.

See #1

2) Export archive files as TIFF and use whatever software you like to do further editing.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:04:18 pm »

I suppose I should have mentioned, most of my RAW files are already in DNG format as I convert them upon import.

Though this still wouldn't help with regard to PSD, AI, and Indd files. As I said, I use Adobe products for more than photography.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 09:51:23 pm »

That is what makes me nervous. If I get a new camera then I may be stuck. (Unless Lightroom continues to be standalone).

You don't have to worry about getting stuck with LR. There is a huge difference between LR and PS situations.
At present, Photoshop has no real competition, that's why Adobe thought they could bully users into the subscription model.
In contrast, with LR the photographers have choice of many excellent alternatives, i.e. Aperture, Capture, DXO, RawTherapee, and other programs. Adobe is aware of the competition, that's why they keep the LR price competitive with those products and in order to avoid mass exodus from a hypothetical CC-only version of LR, they will continue offering LR also under perpetual license. 

richardm33

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:57:40 am »

"Well, your files do not become obsolete, just new features, introduced to CC and not existing in CS6, will be lost."

Actually, I just checked and it appears that at least under some conditions editing is preserved.  I used Content Aware Fill on a image under Photoshop CC.  I just loaded the image into Photoshop CS4 and it looked the same as in CC.  From what I've read, Photoshop CC 'tries' to retain edits if possible so the edited images will be compatible with older versions of PS.  I'm not suggesting that Content Aware Fill is a new feature of CC but it wasn't part of CS4.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:01:41 am by richardm33 »

BobShomler

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 11:28:12 am »

Most of this discussion has been regarding PS.  What about the rest of the suite?  You may have problems with data files created by some other CC suite programs.  For example InDesign idml files usually cannot be opened by earlier versions of InDesign.  You can overcome this by exporting idml files, which can be opened in some InDesign earlier versions; but that requires an extra step amd meeds to be done in the InDesign version that created the file (CC suite).   

Some Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 12:22:11 pm »

Personally, I use a Nikon and like their Capture NX2 software for pre-processing any RAW images before playing around in PS of any version.  Capture NX2 reads all the camera's settings far better than Adobe does, imho, like Nikon Adobe RGB 4 which isn't a part of Adobe's software.  I just dump them out of Capture NX2 as a TIFF and use whatever software beyond that point.  Plus, Capture NX2 is still a "perpetual license" too.

Aside, I believe even the retouch brush in Capture NX2 does a better job with skin texture without going to the plasticity look of PS, and its 'Control Points' are invaluable at times with odd lighting (Kelvin) colorations where it takes a bit more work in PS to address those matters.

Adobe may do something with stacked or layered PSD files in the future, maybe layered TIFFs too since they bought the format, so future edits may be a bit difficult - if not impossible - going back to older versions.  Time will tell.  Shades of AutoDesk's AutoCAD where a new version is unreadable by an older version which forces the engineer to update for $2,935 (The "upgrade price" for AutoCAD 2014. New is $4,195.00) who got the newest file.

SG

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »

Most of this discussion has been regarding PS.  What about the rest of the suite?  You may have problems with data files created by some other CC suite programs.  For example InDesign idml files usually cannot be opened by earlier versions of InDesign.  You can overcome this by exporting idml files, which can be opened in some InDesign earlier versions; but that requires an extra step amd meeds to be done in the InDesign version that created the file (CC suite).   

Yes this is a real problem for me. CS6 is great, but it won't last forever. Adobe better fix their mistake.

Isaac

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2013, 03:03:37 pm »

Adobe better fix their mistake.

Or else... ?

Or else you'll have to subscribe to CC ? :-)

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 03:58:16 pm »

Or else... ?

Or else you'll have to subscribe to CC ? :-)

Or else, we're screwed and either have to move to an inferior alternative, or give-in to Adobe.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 04:14:48 pm »

Actually, I just checked and it appears that at least under some conditions editing is preserved.
Most actually. Depends on if the functionality is new and unique to CC versus the last version you own (hopefully CS6).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »

Or else, we're screwed and either have to move to an inferior alternative, or give-in to Adobe.
That's always been true. If Adobe proprietary procerssing is more to your liking, you'll pay for it. Move forward or stick with CS6.

MrSmith27

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 04:37:54 pm »

I haven't looked into Adobe Creative Cloud for a while, so I have one major question:

Assuming I where to get into the CC (I would use the whole suite), what happens when I stop paying Adobe? Are all my files created since moving to the cloud now obsolete?

Wouldn't it be better if we could keep whatever state our software was in at the moment we stopped payment (rather than reverting to CS6).

For me this is the prime issue. Affordability is second to the idea of "renting" the software.

I am happy with CS6 for now, but what happens down the road when I "need" to upgrade? I am looking into the future with these questions.

You probably can't edit your psd-files anymore. Sure, it would be great if you could use those indefinitely. It would also be great if you could rent a hotel room for a day and then stay forever. Or rent a car for a weekend but simply never return it: "Hey look, I'll not be paying from now on but I promise I will only drive on roads I've driven on before, so it's cool!"

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 12:50:21 pm »

You probably can't edit your psd-files anymore. Sure, it would be great if you could use those indefinitely. It would also be great if you could rent a hotel room for a day and then stay forever. Or rent a car for a weekend but simply never return it: "Hey look, I'll not be paying from now on but I promise I will only drive on roads I've driven on before, so it's cool!"

That isn't exactly the same. We want to buy the car, not rent it. Basically keep things like they were in the past with the perpetual licensing. I have no idea what the future holds, I don't want to be locked into things. Sure, if I new I could afford to keep "renting" the full suite of Adobe products until I was 120, then I wouldn't care, but that is likely not going to be the case. I pay as many things upfront as possible and avoid payments and debt as much as I can.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »

That isn't exactly the same. We want to buy the car, not rent it.
But the car is not for sale.
As for locking yourself in, you did that from day one when you started using any proprietary processing (be it Photoshop layers or Reports from Quicken). Nothing from the outside forces you to upgrade either. BUY CS6 and use it as long as you like.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up