Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: QPcard Generated Camera Profiles Don't Show Up in Camera Raw  (Read 12346 times)

bmb

QPcard Generated Camera Profiles Don't Show Up in Camera Raw
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:23 pm »

Hi.

I just got a QPcard 203 to replace a lost Passport Checker. Unfortunately I can't get the QPcard generated profiles to show up in Adobe Camera Raw's Camera Profile Tab. I am using a Nikon D5200 and Adobe Camera Raw 8.2.

I followed a similar problem in this thread http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=63684.0 but this did not solve my problem. I was able to use dcpTool to decompile the .dcp profile into an .xml file and revert back but could not figure out what is wrong.

Please help. QPcard support has been unresponsive in other issues so I doubt they will reply to this one.

Thank you.

Vladimirovich

Re: QPcard Generated Camera Profiles Don't Show Up in Camera Raw
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 02:10:00 am »

1) are you using the latest version of their software ? = if not, update

and

2) are you using .NEF or .DNG (converted from .NEF) ? = if NEF then use Adobe DNG Converter to get .DNG and use their software with .DNG file

bmb

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:06:38 pm »

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I did indeed forget to convert the .NEF file to .DNG.

It works now. QPcalibration crashes every time I open it (it is the latest version) and I have to re-install it every time I want to create a new profile but at least the profiles are showing up in Adobe Camera Raw.

Thanks again (sometimes it really helps for someone else to take a look at the problem).

Vladimirovich

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 03:16:17 pm »

QPcalibration crashes every time I open it (it is the latest version)

strange... I don't have such issue (Windows 7/64bit)... as for DNG vs original raws it is a curious problem... their software creates an empty (or rather all zeroes) color camera matrix ("ColorMatrix" tags) in dcp profile if you are using non DNG (or let us say - a non DNG from recent cameras, I did not check old cameras - but it does so w/ my E-M1 raw files)... bug probably.

PS: and yes, their customer service is quite bad (in terms of responding, I tried once ~1 year ago to ask a question, never heard back)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 03:18:42 pm by Vladimirovich »

bmb

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:16:59 pm »

I am using Mac OS X (mavericks) and I am able to open the QPcalibration application but when I try to open the .dng file for calibration the app returns a "QPmeasure module not found, contact support". Fortunately if I re-install the application the problem goes away.

I presume from your reply that you also use this application. How do you individually correct the patches after you apply the camera profile to the QPcard image? I am having a hard time with this issue. The profile seems to need some tweaking. When I had the colorchecker passport I tried using Adobe's DNG Profile but I could not understand how to get it to work. Now with the QPcard I would like to tweak the profile to make it more accurate but given the issues I am having with th QPcalibration app plus the non-existent support I don't know if it is worth buying the QPcalibration Adjust plug-in. have you tried this plug-in?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:59:24 pm by bmb »

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:36:57 pm »

How do you individually correct the patches after you apply the camera profile to the QPcard image?

if you are asking about further profile modifications then you need to buy extra module from QPCard = http://www.qpcard.com/en_b2c/applications/qpcalibration-adjust.html

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 12:10:49 pm »

if you are asking about further profile modifications then you need to buy extra module from QPCard = http://www.qpcard.com/en_b2c/applications/qpcalibration-adjust.html

I am one of those folks that have issues with the latest version of the software. I get the "QPMeasure module not found" error and I am also unable to activate my purchased modules. I would recommend not purchasing any modules until they resolve the issues or at least start responding to their existing customers.

Ligament

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »

I have sent them tech support questions as well with no reply lately. They used to be much more responsive. Shame, as I really like the profiles they can create.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:14:15 pm »

I am one of those folks that have issues with the latest version of the software. I get the "QPMeasure module not found" error and I am also unable to activate my purchased modules. I would recommend not purchasing any modules until they resolve the issues or at least start responding to their existing customers.
is your issue also on Mac or you have Windows ?

bmb

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 06:42:30 pm »

I also bought the QPcalibration Adjust module and I am unable to use it because I can't register it. They did not send me an activation key and although I have emailed them about three or four times they have not replied to any of my emails. I am going to try to get a refund through PayPal.

Apparently QPcard is not a serious business and I regret having bought the card from them in the first place.

mac_paolo

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 01:52:10 am »

They used to give prompt support in the last year, but when I had the same error message as yours, which I accidentally fixed by reinstalled the software in Mavericks, I didn't get any response at all.
I used to speak very well about the quality of the profiles, much better than color checker passport. However it seems the team has probably shut down without telling anyone, and that's not only a shame, but also a little dishonest towards those who have recently purchased a license and still haven't received it.

Now it seems I don't have any easy color profiling solution to recommend, again. :(

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2013, 05:11:23 am »

I used to speak very well about the quality of the profiles, much better than color checker passport. However it seems the team has probably shut down without telling anyone, and that's not only a shame, but also a little dishonest towards those who have recently purchased a license and still haven't received it.
I think it's unfair to start accusing people of dishonesty without knowing the full picture. As I understand it QP is a one man business, probably part time too. Whilst it's good practice to try to ensure that there's a disaster plan in place for the business if things go wrong, sometimes bad things happen through no fault of the owner. Illness or accident can happen to the best of us.

bmb

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 06:30:14 am »

According to the info on their website, QPcard is owned by seven people. Illness can happen, of course. But their PayPal express checkout is apparently in good health since My payment went through with no issues. I can't say the same about the Plug-in license I payed for because I never got it.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2013, 07:04:08 am »

According to the info on their website, QPcard is owned by seven people. Illness can happen, of course.
The entire site is down at the moment, so it's difficult to know what's going on.
It's possible the owners are as desperate to get everything running again as users are. If their web hosts also provide their email service it can all fail together.
But their PayPal express checkout is apparently in good health since My payment went through with no issues.
I guess you've not had experience of running a small online business ? PayPal facilities run automatically, including pages linked to when payment is made that allow downloads or send activation information, regardless of whether they're actively managed or not.
On one side this can allow some businesses to ride over personal problems, but on the other side of the coin it can give the impression that all is well even when no one is running the business any more. The advantage of using PayPal is that end users should be able to get a refund easily enough if things have gone catastrophically wrong.

Given the past good performance and service of QPcard, it seems very harsh to make allegations of dishonesty.

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2013, 11:36:23 am »

is your issue also on Mac or you have Windows ?

It is on Mavericks. I suspect the problem is that the software is old and not compatible with the new operating system.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 11:53:03 am by MirekElsner »

mac_paolo

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2013, 01:19:43 pm »

I think it's unfair to start accusing people of dishonesty without knowing the full picture.
Uhm… let me think about that once more.
A seller accepts the payment without sending back any good in a reasonable time. Customers ask for help for products they paid for, receiving not a single response in a reasonable time. All of that without a single blog post or mass email to explain what's going on.

No, I didn't change my mind.

Btw I still use QPcard and hope for it to work with newer bodies converting them beforehand in an old fashion DNG. I can't find any feasible alternative for me right now.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: QPcard Generated Camera Profiles Don't Show Up in Camera Raw (Solution?)
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 12:38:43 pm »

Hi,

I got my QP card yesterday and had problems with the dcp profile, too.

In my case the problem was that the app did not pick the profile name correctly. So it loaded the profile but on the wrong name.

I used a tool called dcpTool to convert the profile into XML and modified it. The modified profile was compiled into a new 'dcp' file, it works now.

It was a frustrating experience. I will post a description to their support department, see what happens.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

mac_paolo

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 06:32:25 am »

Probably due the recent OS X upgrade qpcalibration stopped working once again.
This time a reinstall didn't help.

QPCard R.I.P.   :'(

---

Update: I just found via google cache (just the front page has been replaced, everything is still inside) that recently they updated the software for Mavericks.
1.2.1 works just fine with OS X 10.9.1.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 08:42:37 am by mac_paolo »

kirkt

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2014, 11:17:28 pm »

The website is working for me on Safari, v7:

http://www.qpcard.com

Note that the old site (http://www.qpcard.se) does not work.

You can download and install the latest version for mac - according to the website:

Current version is v1.21. This update contains new cameras since v1.20 and an OSX Mavericks compatibility patch

A year+ ago when I first purchased a Fuji X100 and tried it with the QP202, the profile was written with the incorrect camera model identifier and LR/ACR did not read the DCP and include it in the drop down list of profiles - I did the same thing as Erik mentioned above (dcptool) and replaced the incorrect xml and it worked fine.  I sent a bug report to QP and it works fine now.  If you find that your QP camera profiles are having a similar issue, you can use dcptool to decompile a correctly working profile and check what is inside the xml:

<UniqueCameraModelRestriction>Canon EOS 5D Mark II</UniqueCameraModelRestriction>

where the canon 5DII verbiage is shown for a DCP profile above, for example.  Decompile your non-recognized QP profile to see if the identifier is not identical to the working DCP identifier - if it is not, replace it and recompile and it should work.  Report it to QP!

kirk
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 11:21:23 pm by kirkt »

kirkt

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:55 pm »

Also - when you make a profile using QPCalibration, in addition to the profile you made with the specified tone curve, etc. there is a linear version stored as "temp.dcp" in the folder "~/Library/Application Support/QPCalibration" if you need the linearized version of your dcp.  This may be useful if you are exporting images for HDR merge or other applications that might benefit from such a profile.

kirk
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up