Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best printer for B&W fine art photos  (Read 2962 times)

kreidberg

best printer for B&W fine art photos
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:32:36 am »

I'd be grateful for any opinions about the best printers for obtaining the highest quality B&W photos, that match what could be obtained in the darkroom.

I'd prefer at least 17 in wide, but if some of the 13 X 19 printers are presently the best, it would be helpful to know.

Specifically, is there a significant difference for B&W between the ultrachrome K3 inks, the ultra chrome HDR inks, the Canon lucia inks, or the Canon Pro-1 inkset that includes one more gray ink than these others.

thanks very much
Jordan

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: best printer for B&W fine art photos
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:56:34 am »

For dedicated B/W you might want to have a look into Jon Cones Piezography.

chez

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 08:12:17 am »

I got myself a used Epson 3880 and converted it to the Piezography system and could not be happier with the quality of B&W prints I'm getting. The tonal range is truly amazing. I used to print my B&W photos using an HP Z3100 printer which does produce pretty good B&W, but the piezography system is just in a nother league.

Damir

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 10:33:42 am »

If you look for out of box solution than HP DJ Z 3200 is probably the best.

LynnNoah

• http://myfairpoint.net
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 09:52:33 pm »

I purchased a new 3880 to dedicate to piezography and also run an older 1900 with different Cone ink sets.  Using the MPS glossy inks with gloss overlay, the prints from both are greatly superior to Epson ABW prints of the same images printed on my 7900.  Cone has several MPS ink combinations and you can experiment with your own.  The choice of paper also makes a big difference.  Personally I find the selenium glossy most similar to a chemical darkroom look.  To try piezography, you can send a favorite file to them for a sample print.  They also supply refillable carts for larger Epson printers.

Roscolo

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:00:05 pm »

I'd be grateful for any opinions about the best printers for obtaining the highest quality B&W photos, that match what could be obtained in the darkroom.

HP z3200. HP's use of true neutral tone inks (no color) and their inclusion of a gloss enhancer to completely eliminate gloss differential is what really makes my prints ( on a z3100 ) match and exceed what I used to do in the darkroom.

Have to say, the prints on my Canon ipf8300 are right up there, too. But for B&W I've found the HP to be the real winner.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:45:32 am by Roscolo »

Paul Roark

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 11:38:37 pm »

See http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ for lightfastness comparisons.  Here are some numbers from 3 tests, each at 90 Mlux-hrs light exposure (equivalent to 46 Wilhelm years of display), on H. Photo Rag paper.  The average delta-e (lower is better) for all test patches (as well as the worst patch) are noted:

Epson 3880 ABW (warm) = 1.5 (worst 2.4);
Cone Piezography Neutral K6 = 2.6 (worst 3.5);
MIS Associates "Eboni" (100% carbon) = 0.7 (worst 0.8).

If you want the best longevity, carbon pigments win.   It's also nice that they are inexpensive, but these are not marketed to those who want a simple turnkey system.

Paul
http://www.paulroark.com/BW-Info/

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:51:15 am »

See http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com/ for lightfastness comparisons.  Here are some numbers from 3 tests, each at 90 Mlux-hrs light exposure (equivalent to 46 Wilhelm years of display), on H. Photo Rag paper.  The average delta-e (lower is better) for all test patches (as well as the worst patch) are noted:

Epson 3880 ABW (warm) = 1.5 (worst 2.4);
Cone Piezography Neutral K6 = 2.6 (worst 3.5);
MIS Associates "Eboni" (100% carbon) = 0.7 (worst 0.8).

In addition

Same test source, same conditions;

HP Z3100 greyscale mode (neutral) = 1.2 (worst 1.7)

at 140 Mlux-hrs;

HP Z3100 greyscale mode (neutral) = 1.4 (worst 2.0)

140 Mlux-hrs, the worst shifts described; 2.0 shift on the L, the worst b shift is 1.0 to warm. Black did not change.

Delta-E 1.0 is considered the smallest change in color visible to the eye.

The HP Z3200 Vivera pigment inks did not change to the Z3100 inks but the red ink. The color inks are however not used for a neutral grey mix on the HP Z3100-Z3200 models. The Vivera PK + grey inks are carbon pigments made neutral on the pigment particles themselves. Not the MK black though which is slightly warmer than the MIS Eboni carbon if I recall it correctly.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:58:09 am by Ernst Dinkla »

kreidberg

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 10:26:15 am »

thanks very much for all input so far that has been very helpful.  Are there tests on quality/depth of black/gray tones, in addition to longevity as I am mainly in this for my own enjoyment.  I am less worried about how these prints will look many years from now.

thanks very much
Jordan

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 12:18:24 pm »

Aardenburg-Imaging shows the paper reflectance and maximum density in Lab, dynamic range too I think. The rest is a matter of profiling.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.

Pages: [1]   Go Up