Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: PS/LR CC subscription: wonder what happens in 12 months?  (Read 14755 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos
Re: PS/LR CC subscription: wonder what happens in 12 months?
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »

these luminosity mask post processing techniques are all explained in terms of PS.

That was one of the big factors in my original decision to tackle the PS learning curve ... there was so much more support / forum / documentation / videos / etc. for PS compared to other options.
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2013, 05:42:43 pm »

And as a contrast to our discussion of Lua, those Photoshop learning resources are varied enough to suit all levels or types of user.

ButchM

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 06:11:58 pm »

If you actually read, you'll see people aren't questioning it on the basis of the cost (though there are plenty of doubts about what it will be in future). Good for you if you consider it OK for you, but don't deny others the right to take a different view.

Agreed. My objections to the CC licensing model have NEVER been about price. I am more than will to pay whatever it takes to do business. I'm actually willing to pay a little extra if I can get what I want, and use it for as long as I want. In my estimation, affordability has zero influence with the situation. Short-term bargains quite often don't turn out to be fiscally sound long-term solutions for the end user. Even hobbyists, should have the foresight to at least look past the initial price of entry and evaluate their long-term interests.

I don't think it should be considered insane to question a business model that imposes an expiration date set in stone. Or that forces it's users to underwrite future development regardless of the direction the executives in charge decide to go. Or that removes all control to speak with their wallets to voice their displeasure with the direction of development. Once everyone is locked in, and CS6 has reached is end of life, and Adobe is gleefully depositing their monthly stipends (at whatever price they deem proper) ... how much effort in "listening" do you suppose they will invest in order to offer their subscribers a better product? If the past six months is any indicator ... they really didn't have a clue who their customers were, or what their customers actually thought about them.

One last thought ... If it were not for those of us who have spent hundreds and thousands for Adobe products over the past many decades, Adobe would hardly be in a condition to offer a $12 per month plan for anyone ... best not to make light of those who saw to it that Adobe succeeded to this point ...

MrSmith27

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2013, 08:54:54 am »

Agreed. My objections to the CC licensing model have NEVER been about price. I am more than will to pay whatever it takes to do business. I'm actually willing to pay a little extra if I can get what I want, and use it for as long as I want. In my estimation, affordability has zero influence with the situation. Short-term bargains quite often don't turn out to be fiscally sound long-term solutions for the end user. Even hobbyists, should have the foresight to at least look past the initial price of entry and evaluate their long-term interests.

I don't think it should be considered insane to question a business model that imposes an expiration date set in stone. Or that forces it's users to underwrite future development regardless of the direction the executives in charge decide to go. Or that removes all control to speak with their wallets to voice their displeasure with the direction of development. Once everyone is locked in, and CS6 has reached is end of life, and Adobe is gleefully depositing their monthly stipends (at whatever price they deem proper) ... how much effort in "listening" do you suppose they will invest in order to offer their subscribers a better product? If the past six months is any indicator ... they really didn't have a clue who their customers were, or what their customers actually thought about them.

One last thought ... If it were not for those of us who have spent hundreds and thousands for Adobe products over the past many decades, Adobe would hardly be in a condition to offer a $12 per month plan for anyone ... best not to make light of those who saw to it that Adobe succeeded to this point ...

So if it's not about money, what is it about? You get exactly the same software and you don't care how much it costs? Why not be happy? For you nothing changes then.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:30 am »

Why don't you read what he said?

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #65 on: December 16, 2013, 12:43:24 pm »

Money is still an issue, but far less than having to RENT the software. When we stop paying, we lose the software. That's the main point.

Isaac

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:45 pm »

Your comment in another thread shows that's the "money" point in a slightly different form --

Sure, if I knew I could afford to keep "renting" the full suite of Adobe products until I was 120, then I wouldn't care,...

ButchM

« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »

For you nothing changes then.

If that is your assertion of my comments on the matter. You really didn't read what I offered.

Sure, nothing would change that dramatically in the actual expense incurred, though, I, as a consumer, would lose all control over my financial power in any form to influence future development. No longer can users withhold funds to send a message to Adobe about their product. Based upon their "listening" over the past six months ... they really did not have a clue about a significant portion of their users. Once they are on the gravy train of perpetual deposits ... for whatever they may decide to offer ... I seriously doubt their listening skills will improve.

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2013, 06:05:15 pm »

If that is your assertion of my comments on the matter. You really didn't read what I offered.

Sure, nothing would change that dramatically in the actual expense incurred, though, I, as a consumer, would lose all control over my financial power in any form to influence future development. No longer can users withhold funds to send a message to Adobe about their product. Based upon their "listening" over the past six months ... they really did not have a clue about a significant portion of their users. Once they are on the gravy train of perpetual deposits ... for whatever they may decide to offer ... I seriously doubt their listening skills will improve.

Even more reasons I don't like this new model of theirs. We lose control to tell them what we think. At least in a way that is impactful (since it seems corporations listen to money, not customers)

Isaac

« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »

We lose control to tell them what we think.

Unsubscribe!

JonathanRimmel

• jonathanrimmel.com
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:44 pm »

Your comment in another thread shows that's the "money" point in a slightly different form --

Yeah, money is a factor, just not the main cause of aggravation. In the end, none of this really matters, it's just some software. I would just rather have an upgrade path for my CS6—that doesn't require a monthly payment to maintain—if and when I need to upgrade.

Utah

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2013, 03:26:32 am »

What happens in 12 months can best be evaluated by a quick look at Adobe's financial statements. Merry Christmas to all .....and Oh Yes have you called Adobe support lately? ::)

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2013, 06:34:45 am »

E-mail from Adobe this morning extending their £8.78 per month "limited time offer" until 28th February.

I wonder how many similar extensions we will see?
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #73 on: December 30, 2013, 01:04:41 pm »

E-mail from Adobe this morning extending their £8.78 per month "limited time offer" until 28th February.

I wonder how many similar extensions we will see?

and still the offer on their website says 31 december...

ButchM

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »

There it is...

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/12/photoshop-photography-program-extended-to-feb-28-for-photoshop-cs3-cs6-customers.html

So ... according to the date on that blog posting ... Hogarty knew as early as Dec. 18 that the deal was extended to Feb 2014? ...

I really wonder who is in charge of marketing at Adobe ... sooner or later they are going to have to focus on a target and stick with it ... the information is all over the place ... very difficult to actually know what is real ... or what may have been obscured by Content Aware Fill ... ;-)

Some Guy

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2013, 09:34:25 pm »

That date could be extended for as long as they want.  Adobe could say "$9.95 until June 2014" too.  Probably will too.

They need to coerce people into the cloud contract.  Plain old Marketing 101.  Once you are locked into the contract, then they can do what they like with your rate while trying to get others in at the "Special introductory offer of $9.95 good until..."

No different than any other contract service that has special "Intro fees" to get people signed up.  Start cable at $19.95, and then it creeps up to $100 per month.  Others not yet signed on will get the $19.95 you started with, while you pay $100 as you are under contract.  My neighbor paid $19 for his new Dish Network plan, while I got gouged for $100 after a couple of years (Which I dropped after 2 years there was no early sign-off fee and I had then completed my contract period.  Now they're back offering it at $19/mo.  Ha!).

Threaten to quit and they might lower it 30%.  Doubtful if they'll drop it back down to the introductory special rate.  That or you have to remain off the service for so long before the let you back in for the "Introductory cable $19.95 plan" - if they will.

SG

astroman27

« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2013, 02:29:14 am »

The UK adobe still says Dec 31 ? .So have taken the plunge and joined as the deal is good compared with the price of upgrades, and compared to high end CAD programs is pretty cheap .However if Adobe does extend the offer again then the 30 day bail out will have to be taken.As sombody who has paid and used Photoshop for over 10  years this really is a mess .
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up