Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: PS/LR CC subscription: wonder what happens in 12 months?  (Read 14760 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: PS/LR CC subscription: wonder what happens in 12 months?
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 02:49:59 pm »

Allow to purchase the last subscribed version for a reasonable price, and make the usage license for that version perpetual.

Simon specifically asked "what exit option could Adobe offer, short of dropping back to a perpetual license model".

It is not a perpetual license model, neither from a cash flow or Tax, nor from a development cycle perspective.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Isaac

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 02:54:45 pm »

I'm not going to quarrel about what you think is different between "a perpetual license model" and "make the usage license for that version perpetual".

John Hollenberg

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 06:58:56 pm »

I was thinking of trying Photoshop CC, so went to download it.  When I didn't enter the year of my birth correctly (such that I would be about one year old), access was denied... and now I am locked out for 24 hours according to the FAQ.  After that, I'm done.  Instead I purchased the upgrade from CS5 to CS6, which will probably be good for me for a very long while.  Way to go Adobe, you just lost a CC customer.  If they can't get something simple like that right, how would I trust them with rental software?

Isaac

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 07:14:13 pm »

When I didn't enter the year of my birth correctly ...

Hmmm, is that intended to be a "security" feature to help protect you from others using your account?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2013, 07:35:25 pm »

Hmmm, is that intended to be a "security" feature to help protect you from others using your account?

Please explain, why an age entered on an internet 'form' is relevant if one also has to supply the credit card details?
Privacy is apparently a non-issue with you, or do you agree with withholding irrelevant info?

Cheers,
Bart

== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

John Hollenberg

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2013, 07:46:20 pm »

No, I don't think they know my birthdate.  If I had chosen 1920, it probably would have worked out fine (unless they have an age restriction for those that may have dementia  ;)  If it was a security feature, they probably would have sent an email warning me someone was trying to get into my account.  I'm not really interested in giving out that sort of information anyway, so wouldn't have given them the correct date.  I was stunned to find out that I was locked out for 24 hours, and that I couldn't post on the Photoshop forum either because I was locked out.  See:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/you-eligible-cc.html

Farmer

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »

There are restrictions on maintaining data (accounts) etc for those under 13 years of age.  It's not at all unusual for your DOB to be requested as a basic check in this regard (your CC details may not be your personal CC details).

I don't know if that's what was being done in this case, but it's very common for anywhere that you create an account for ongoing access.
Phil Brown

John Hollenberg

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »

There are restrictions on maintaining data (accounts) etc for those under 13 years of age.  It's not at all unusual for your DOB to be requested as a basic check in this regard (your CC details may not be your personal CC details).

I don't know if that's what was being done in this case, but it's very common for anywhere that you create an account for ongoing access.

The problem isn't the asking, it's the 24 hour lockout that occurs from a "wrong" answer.  Unacceptable in the days of instantly downloadable software.

Farmer

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2013, 09:08:38 pm »

Yeah, I can't see any reason for locking an account out in that situation.  If I had to guess (and it's a wild arse guess), it might be due to the recent hack and someone's maybe over reacted on the security side.

Mike from Adobe has been posting here and may see and respond, or you could try emailing him direct (he's posted his address each time he's posted).  I know you've already voted with your feet/wallet, but it may help.
Phil Brown

John Hollenberg

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:09 pm »

Mike from Adobe has been posting here and may see and respond, or you could try emailing him direct (he's posted his address each time he's posted).  I know you've already voted with your feet/wallet, but it may help.

Yup, too late for me, no longer interested.  I will check back in a few years if CS6 gets too stale for me.

Isaac

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2013, 11:27:42 pm »

There are restrictions on maintaining data (accounts) etc for those under 13 years of age.

Hmmm.

The problem isn't the asking, it's the 24 hour lockout that occurs from a "wrong" answer.  Unacceptable in the days of instantly downloadable software.

I guess you've never been locked-out of your bank website, and waited for a new card and pin to do separate transcontinental snail mail ;-)

ButchM

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2013, 12:40:49 am »

Hmmm.

I guess you've never been locked-out of your bank website, and waited for a new card and pin to do separate transcontinental snail mail ;-)

I feel so fortunate to benefit from your infinite wisdom. You certainly are perfection personified. Thanks for all you do to guide we mere mortals in our daily lives. We would be lost without your insight.  ;)

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2013, 12:48:57 am »

Right back at you.

Isaac

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 12:50:21 am »

Please explain, why an age entered on an internet 'form' is relevant if one also has to supply the credit card details?

You seem confused. I am not asking for anyone's age "on an internet 'form'". Ask someone who is.

Privacy is apparently a non-issue with you, or do you agree with withholding irrelevant info?

You are confused.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 10:02:06 am »

Hmmm.

Correct.  The bank gives you 3 tries.  ;D

Simon Garrett

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 11:12:37 am »

Hmmm.

Not my bank.  If you use your card from a machine that the bank decides is dodgy, or a network error generates a message that the bank decides might be card misuse, or you use your card from a "high risk country" (even if you've told them that you are travelling to that country) the bank blocks the card instantly. 

chez

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2013, 12:45:19 pm »

My credit card ( Mastercard ) stopped working without any warning when the bank found a possible breach. Zero warning...

Not my bank.  If you use your card from a machine that the bank decides is dodgy, or a network error generates a message that the bank decides might be card misuse, or you use your card from a "high risk country" (even if you've told them that you are travelling to that country) the bank blocks the card instantly. 

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

The question that occurs to me is whether buying Photoshop is actually necessary? I've been running CS for a while now but will be upgrading the PC in the near future and so my software needs are under the microscope. I already use Fastone on the laptop for printing at events so why not go the whole hog and use it on the new PC rather than get involved with Adobe once more? (actually numerous reasons) But then I read that CS2 is available as a free download (http://www.techspot.com/downloads/3689-adobe-photoshop-cs2.html  Is this legit?) so what's the point of spending on a later version, especially if DXO will clean things up at a one off price and I'm not in to manipulation.

Isaac

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2013, 02:39:58 pm »

so what's the point of spending on a later version

Seems like a question for John Hollenberg given that he apparently thought it worth "the upgrade from CS5 to CS6".

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 04:05:55 am »

No, I don't think they know my birthdate.  If I had chosen 1920, it probably would have worked out fine (unless they have an age restriction for those that may have dementia  ;)  If it was a security feature, they probably would have sent an email warning me someone was trying to get into my account.  I'm not really interested in giving out that sort of information anyway, so wouldn't have given them the correct date.  I was stunned to find out that I was locked out for 24 hours, and that I couldn't post on the Photoshop forum either because I was locked out.  See:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/you-eligible-cc.html

Donning my tin foil hat I'd point out that attaching a birth date to web communications is very helpful to the good ol' boys in the NSA and the jolly decent chaps at GCHQ, it's something I try and avoid doing as well. Adobe are probably just as keen on keeping tabs on people as well, whether it's at all useful to them is a different matter.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up