Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Lens for Cambo ans Landscape  (Read 3457 times)

cyron123

Best Lens for Cambo ans Landscape
« on: December 04, 2013, 01:12:59 am »

Hi,
I am planning to buy a Cambo WRS. But i am not shure with the lenses. Want lens would you prefer for landscape? And why? Is there a cheap alternative for beginners in tech cameras? Something like: best bang for the bucks?

Thank you.
Cyron

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: Best Lens for Cambo ans Landscape
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 08:57:47 am »

Before a lens can be recommended, a bit more info would be necessary.

What back are you going to use?
Do you want to be able to make large shifts (larger than 10mm)
Do you want to have the ability to use tilt (Cambo mounts offer a T/S option on most wides but not all)
Are you going to use external filters ever?

This info will help to pin down some suggestions.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:28 am »

Here are some very basic comparisons of size/weight/aperture and compatibility with a TS mount for Cambo:
Tech Camera Overview

As Paul says there is no "universal recommendation" for landscape. If there were that list of available lenses would be a lot shorter! His questions are an excellent way to help pin down your wants/needs.

In general my favorite tech camera lenses are:
120ASPH
90HR-SW
60XL
32HR

All of these lenses are quite pricey, but they are all incredibly good optically, have large image circles, have good compatibility with a broad range of digital backs including the 80mp generation, and are easy to work with. But I would be the first to say that a 32HR is not the "best bang for your buck" kind of lens. It's the premium lens.

If you're not using a 80mp digital back the 35XL and 47XL are both very good value - very good quality, reasonable price.

In general (see the previous link for more extensive comparisons) a Schneider lens is lighter, smaller, and cheaper, with a larger stated image circle for which some is not usable, but with greater fall off, more often calls for a center filter, and produces more color cast issues, especially with high res backs. In general a Rodenstock lens is heavier, larger, more expensive, has a smaller image circle for which nearly all is usable, and with less fall off with less call for a center filter, and produces less color cast issues.

cyron123

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 05:15:57 pm »

Hi Paul,

thnak you for your questions. Here are my answers.

1) I will use the Hasselblad H3DII- 32Mpix
2) No Large shifts are not important
3) Tilt would be nice, but i have to save money - Answer no!
4) I use  Lee ND Grad filters

My first step have to be a cheap one. After some time i have more money for further "toys".

Thank you.
cyron

cyron123

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 05:21:36 pm »

Hi Doug,

yes, in the first step i have to buy cheaper lenses, or only one lens! Is there a huge difference with a 31Mpix or a 80Mpix back? My idea is that i dont need the best lens for my back (i hope that)... :-)

i hope i could show you my intension.
Thank you.
cyron

Doug Peterson

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 05:21:45 pm »

Uh oh.

The 31.6 mp sensor in your back is very unfriendly to wide-angle tech camera lenses due to it's use of very strong microlenses. You'll have to be very careful with lens selection. I have little advice on which lenses might be passable because in general we strongly recommend against using that sensor on a tech camera at all.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:23:35 pm by Doug Peterson »

cyron123

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 06:04:16 pm »

Hi Doug,
That sounds this back is nearly impossible to use on a tech cam...hmmm

Do you know what lens is ok?

If there are not enough lenses to serve with this back I have to buy an other back. :-(

Thank you.
Cyron

cyron123

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 01:48:03 pm »

Hi Doug,
is only the Hasselbald 31Mpix a problem on a view camera or a Phse one too? There is a Leaf Back with 33Mpix too. Where could i find some information which back has this microlenses...?
cyron

DanielStone

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 06:32:49 pm »

Hi Doug,
is only the Hasselbald 31Mpix a problem on a view camera or a Phse one too? There is a Leaf Back with 33Mpix too. Where could i find some information which back has this microlenses...?
cyron

The Leaf Aptus 33mpx backs DO NOT have microlenses like the Kodak chip in your Hasselblad back. The Aptus' chip size is larger and the pixel size is larger(by a smidge)
Generally, backs with micro-lenses are not suitable to technical camera usage(aka tile, swing or movements in general) due to color cast issues and excessive light fall-off.
For non-movement photography however(like with the H-series cameras) they're great however.

Great news though is if you choose to move to a Leaf Aptus back, you can get a great deal these days on "older"/prior model backs, especially from qualified C1/Leaf dealers who generally have a warranty of some sort, and the top-tier ones fully check out and re-calibrate the backs prior to resale.

-Dan

Doug Peterson

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 12:08:24 am »

+1 the 31mp Kodak sensor (H_D-31 and P30 and P30+) is the worst sensor in this regard.

The 33mp Dalsa sensor in the Leaf and Mamiya backs has no problem with tech cameras.

(note this in the context of the fact that all sensors will need LCC adjustments - the only question is whether WITH an LCC applied you can expect excellent quality including high fidelity color and low noise)

cyron123

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 12:41:07 pm »

Hi Daniel,
could you send me some of that Dealers with "personal messsage" please. I can not find one...
Thank you so much.
cyron
The Leaf Aptus 33mpx backs DO NOT have microlenses like the Kodak chip in your Hasselblad back. The Aptus' chip size is larger and the pixel size is larger(by a smidge)
Generally, backs with micro-lenses are not suitable to technical camera usage(aka tile, swing or movements in general) due to color cast issues and excessive light fall-off.
For non-movement photography however(like with the H-series cameras) they're great however.

Great news though is if you choose to move to a Leaf Aptus back, you can get a great deal these days on "older"/prior model backs, especially from qualified C1/Leaf dealers who generally have a warranty of some sort, and the top-tier ones fully check out and re-calibrate the backs prior to resale.

-Dan

cyron123

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »

Is ist right, that there are no (or minimal issues) with a 31Mix Back and a lens if you don't tilt or shift?

Pics2

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 03:32:43 pm »

Is ist right, that there are no (or minimal issues) with a 31Mix Back and a lens if you don't tilt or shift?
Yes, it's right. Without movements you'll be just fine.

cyron123

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »

Hi,
This could be a cheaper entrance for me. After some time I could buy an other back with no issues..
Thank you guys.
Cyron

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:32 am »

What you need to consider is the depreciation of the back. How much can you sell it on for when you are fed up with not being able to use it with movements?

If its very cheap maybe it means not many other people want it, if you can only use that back on a Hassy body, it has limited usefulness.

I can vouch for the Leaf Aptus 75 33Mp back. I am still using mine on a technical camera with Schneider 35XL and 47XL lenses. It's brilliant and still a lot better than the D800E which I also have (and a vast amount of 1.4 and Zeiss glass).  I conclude that the fact it's so much better is a combination of the back and those lenses, they resolve a lot more detail and they are sharp from edge to edge.

@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

rhsu

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 09:59:18 pm »

...you could try Sinar 75LV (mark 2 - for longer exposure capability).  At least the camera mount is flexible and like the Leaf, you can get the rotating mount.  I saw one @ $3,500 recently (not know whether it is Mk1 or Mk2).  Or, find a P45+ (but the camera mounting interface can be pricey.

cyron123

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 06:29:30 pm »

HI guys,

in your opinion:  What is a good price for a "Leaf Aptus 75 33Mp back" with moderate acctuations.

cyron

Pics2

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 05:54:07 am »

I remember it was around 6000$-7000$ (private sale-dealer) a year ago, when I was looking for DB. Let's say it's a 1000$ less now, private sale maybe even less. So, anything between 4500$ - 6000$, I guess.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 05:58:03 am by Pics2 »

cyron123

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 03:32:35 am »

Hi pics,
Thank you.
Cyron
Pages: [1]   Go Up