Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue & Orange Gas  (Read 1512 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Blue & Orange Gas
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:43:45 am »

Looking for critique and suggestions. I like it, but I don't know what I don't know.
Thanks in advance,
-t
PS I used the "upright" adjust (full) after Lens Prof. Adjust. Didn't change it much but enough to be glad I did it. Still learning about this
One Day At A Time

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Blue & Orange Gas
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:38:07 am »

Looks very good.  The faded yellow curbs are the star for me.

AFairley

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 12:01:13 pm »

If I were shooting this, I would have framed it a little higher and a little looser.  I think the structure needs a little more breathing room.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

If I were shooting this, I would have framed it a little higher and a little looser.  I think the structure needs a little more breathing room.

I think you are probably right; I think I'd also like to tone everything down a fraction...

As with everything where you don't know the circumstances, maybe this was the best bet available.

Rob C

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 10:40:44 pm »

Thanks AFairley. Loved YOUR website (Art Play & Into Sunset my FAV) and see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time...
-t
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 10:47:11 pm »

Thanks Rob C. I wondered the same thing myself. Loved your site too; cellpix were fun!
-t
One Day At A Time

Ed Blagden

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:02:53 am »

Todd

Overall, I like this image.  The colours make it for me, and I personally wouldn't want you to tone it down.  Did you fool around with the HSL sliders to make the blue paint a near exact match for the sky hue and saturation, or did it just come out that way?  Whatever, it works for me.

Compositionally I am with AFairley: something is a little off here.  Either you need a  bit more breathing room around the structure (more central, more on the left, more sky, less foreground) or maybe come in tighter and make it a pure study of colour and form.  As it is it is neither fish nor fowl.  But I should stress that the composition as it is is not a deal-breaker with this image - the study in colours make it work for me.

One thing I would suggest is that next time you make a shot like this you pay a little more attention to camera orientation at capture.  The top and base of the structure are converging slightly from left to right which tells me that you were standing a little left of centre when you took the shot.  You can't do much about vertical key-stoning unless you stand on a ladder but for a shot like this you can at least deal with horizontals, in this case by taking a step to the right.  You can fix all this in LR with the manual lens corrections (see attached) but better still to deal with the horizontal issue at capture, if the location allows.  As I say you can't do much about vertical key-stoning but that is an easy fix in LR; in general with perspective corrections the fewer you have to do the better.

Best Regards

Ed
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 03:27:19 am by Ed Blagden »

Rob C

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 04:32:08 am »

Thanks Rob C. I wondered the same thing myself. Loved your site too; cellpix were fun!
-t

Thank you, but sorry that you saw the thing at a time when the Home Page is away on holiday for some undisclosed reason.

Cellpix are okay - even fun to do - but in the end I find that I resent having made the shots on that machinery. There are a few that I'd have liked to take further, but they just can't hack it well enough. You (I) have to start from the perspective that cellpix aren't really going anywhere far - just better than nothing at all.

Rob C

AFairley

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 01:14:27 pm »

Thanks AFairley. Loved YOUR website (Art Play & Into Sunset my FAV) and see what you mean. Thanks for taking the time...
-t

Thank you, Todd.  Your colors reminded me a little of my Jay's Liquor picture.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:24:34 pm »

Thanks!!!!  I see exactly what you mean now that you say it. Much appreciated..
-t      -next time
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:03 pm »

I saw Jay's Liquor" when I went to your site.  I liked the "breathing room" you included just as you had suggested to me.
Thanks, t
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up