Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon kit Stolen  (Read 759 times)

stevebri

Nikon kit Stolen
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:58:07 am »

Hi,

Just wanted people to be aware, I had my bag nicked in Paris on Friday, it contained the following:

Nikon D800E serial 6015815
24mm 2.8 AFD serial 474695
50mm 1.8 AD-S serial 2293798
85mm 1.8 AF-S serial 212874
Sigma 150mm Macro AFD serial TBA

All in a Lowepro Vertex 200 AW backpack with Benro tripod and Manfrotto 498 RC4 head.

If it gets offered to you let me know but note that the serials are registered with Nikon across all of Europe, plus the Paris and London police. The data stays on their service center records indefinitely so if someone buys a bit of dodgy gear and has it cleaned/serviced/repaired say 5 or 10 yrs down the line, it gets taken away as stolen goods.  I like that, I like that a lot...!!!

I have to say Nikon have been great, and they have very quickly passed this data around Europe, very impressed.

If a deal looks too good to be true... it is...

S

stevebri

Re: Nikon kit Stolen
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:57 pm »

you know,

Karma is a wonderful thing.

I spent a lot of time passing serial numbers around, signing up to websites that track serial through exif data, reporting the theft on photosites (thanks to many people who have been very helpful, you know who you are). Doing the right thing and making it as difficult as possible for the thieves to 'fence' this gear, (fence being an old Englsh term for middleman).

Today I received an email from the police in Paris, they have my 'recovered' bag with what initially looks like all my kit....  A result I hope...  Funny thing is they didn't know I had filed a police report, they just contacted me from my business cards inside...  Knowing the French laws this could actually slow down my process of getting the kit back... but it's a happy situation to be in...

That hopefully has saved me time and hassle...

S

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:14 pm »

Glad to hear it. Do keep us posted on the actual recovery.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

francois

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 06:02:18 am »

you know,

Karma is a wonderful thing.

I spent a lot of time passing serial numbers around, signing up to websites that track serial through exif data, reporting the theft on photosites (thanks to many people who have been very helpful, you know who you are). Doing the right thing and making it as difficult as possible for the thieves to 'fence' this gear, (fence being an old Englsh term for middleman).

Today I received an email from the police in Paris, they have my 'recovered' bag with what initially looks like all my kit....  A result I hope...  Funny thing is they didn't know I had filed a police report, they just contacted me from my business cards inside...  Knowing the French laws this could actually slow down my process of getting the kit back... but it's a happy situation to be in...

That hopefully has saved me time and hassle...

S

A good surprise provided your equipment is still in good condition.
I'm glad for you!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up