Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: skin tone matching between sensors  (Read 3312 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
skin tone matching between sensors
« on: November 30, 2013, 09:12:34 pm »

Can this even be done ? I have noticed that my panasonic GX7 tends to lean skin tones to a more pinkish hue vs my sony A7r, is there a way to create a camera profile for each sensor so they have a common look coming into lightroom ?

MirekElsner

• Mirek's web site
Re: skin tone matching between sensors
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 11:49:36 pm »

If these cameras support raw, you can create DNG profiles using (1) XRite ColorChecker and Adobe DNG Profile Editor,  (2) XRite ColorChecker Passport (with bundled software) or (3) QPCard and QPCalibration. They all give slightly different results. The first option is great if you already have the GMB/XRite color checker. The second option is the most elegant, because the card comes in a nice and easy to transport package and easy to use software. The third option is theoretically technically superior, but the QPCard target is a bit flimsy.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 12:53:20 am »

Hi,

The DNG profile editor is more flexible than XRite Color Checker, the profile can be tuned.

Best regards
Erik

If these cameras support raw, you can create DNG profiles using (1) XRite ColorChecker and Adobe DNG Profile Editor,  (2) XRite ColorChecker Passport (with bundled software) or (3) QPCard and QPCalibration. They all give slightly different results. The first option is great if you already have the GMB/XRite color checker. The second option is the most elegant, because the card comes in a nice and easy to transport package and easy to use software. The third option is theoretically technically superior, but the QPCard target is a bit flimsy.
Erik Kaffehr

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:04:32 am »

I do have the colour checker passport and did a few profiles for my 645D. I assume i would need to convert the sony and lumix raw files into dng during import ? The pentax shoots dng so there is no issue with building profiles.

As far as the adobe DNG profiler, can that be used with the colour checker passport or is the standalone xrite colour checker different from the passport ? What are the benefits of using that vs the software that came with the passport ? Which aspects can be tuned ?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 02:14:36 am »

Hi,

Both softwares work with all ColorCheckers. Be aware that there is sample variation between color checkers.

I did profiling on my P45+ back. Both DNG Profile editor and ColorChecker Passport produced profiles that were oversaturating. I could adjust saturation on individual patches of CCP in DNG Profile Editor. It allows tuning of everything.

My results are here:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ColorTuning/Samples/3750_FULL/
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ColorTuning/Samples/3750_Persons/
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ColorTuning/Samples/3750_Persons/
http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/Articles/MFDJourney/Color/ColorTuning/Samples/3756_flower/

The images are processed using Adobe Standard, Capture One Pro, DNG Profiled Editor, DNG Profile Editor tuned and color checker passport. Need to check text below each image to figure which is witch.

Best regards
Erik

I do have the colour checker passport and did a few profiles for my 645D. I assume i would need to convert the sony and lumix raw files into dng during import ? The pentax shoots dng so there is no issue with building profiles.

As far as the adobe DNG profiler, can that be used with the colour checker passport or is the standalone xrite colour checker different from the passport ? What are the benefits of using that vs the software that came with the passport ? Which aspects can be tuned ?
Erik Kaffehr

bjanes

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:30:30 am »

I would follow the advice in the above posts to get the colors as close as possible and then try using the Match Color command in Photoshop (if you are using Photoshop).

Here is what Adobe online help has to say about the command:

"The Match Color command matches the colors in one image (the source image) with colors in another image (the target image). Match Color is useful when you’re trying to make the colors in different photos consistent, or when certain colors (such as skin tones) in one image must match the colors in another image."

Good luck,

Bill

xpatUSA

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 01:25:06 pm »

I do have the colour checker passport and did a few profiles for my 645D. I assume i would need to convert the sony and lumix raw files into dng during import ?

You probably know that Adobe does publish a raw to DNG converter.
best regards,

Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up