Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canada to Mexico in an hour  (Read 6149 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: Canada to Mexico in an hour
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 12:39:51 am »

Very much most of all deaths are among gangs trying to control the territories. Nevertheless, in the north mexican border states it is better to drive by daytime hours or so I heard.
For the rest of mexico is not any worse than Europe or any other country of Latin America.

Eduardo

I have Pandora on my computer, and when I started watching the video, went to Guy Clark radio (one of my stations.) Robert Earl Keene's extended version of "The Road Goes on Forever" came up about the time of the first heavy rain storm, and the long instrumental section at the end of the song was almost perfectly in time with the windshield wipers...

One comment...Michael may *feel* safer driving in Mexico than he does in Oklahoma and Texas, or walking around Toronto, but he isn't. Texas has a disgracefully high murder rate; but Tamaulipas state, where he crosses the border, has a murder rate eight times as high (2012.) The city of Nuevo Laredo, which isn't especially large, had several times the absolute number of murders as Toronto in 2012, and Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America. I'm not saying that all of Mexico is unsafe -- much of the danger involves those areas controlled by the drug cartels, and with easy access to American gun dealers. For those parts of Mexico without easy access to border towns or certain trans-shipping ports, as down in Sinaloa, the murder rate is quite low.

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 04:23:37 am »

Kidding!? In any case, next time you drive through Kentucky, watch out for this guy (though, hopefully, he shall be in jail by that time):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2440906/Doctor-shoots-gun-motorist-extreme-road-rage-incident.html

Thanks, Slobodan, now I have finally erased any lingering desire to revisit the 'land of the free'; my constant, subliminal worries working down in Florida have been shown to have been based on reality, not movies. That's done more to make me decide my attitude to gun laws than anything else. The guy who handed us our Avis rental car in Miami Airport told us not to stop for accidents - that they might well be faked...

Some freedoms are freedoms too far into negative territory.

Oh well, we can still get mugged in Mallorca.

Rob C

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:27 am »

... The guy who handed us our Avis rental car in Miami Airport told us not to stop for accidents - that they might well be faked...

Rob C

You might enjoy the novels of Tim Dorsey (http://www.timdorsey.com/chronology.html). In the one I recently read, Pineapple Grenade, car jackers and muggers prey on tourists near the Miami airport who accidentally get off the freeway at the wrong exit and get lost. The two "heroes" of the novels, Serge and Coleman, take actions to remedy the situation.
--
Robert

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 09:36:00 am »

You might enjoy the novels of Tim Dorsey (http://www.timdorsey.com/chronology.html). In the one I recently read, Pineapple Grenade, car jackers and muggers prey on tourists near the Miami airport who accidentally get off the freeway at the wrong exit and get lost. The two "heroes" of the novels, Serge and Coleman, take actions to remedy the situation.

Fact is no stranger to fiction, to coin a switch.

I opened my website just now to check something and realised that my Home Page has gone walkabout! I suppose I can rebuild it again, but I have contacted Weebly to see if they know where they've put it...

This sort of thing never happened when people wrote letters.

Maybe it's time for an electronic Serge and Coleman!

;-)

Rob C

Peter McLennan

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 11:48:21 am »

The vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. A medium sized SUV.

Which explains the greatly beneficial, slightly-higher-than-normal POV.

I have two cards and changed them at mid-day.

Excellent.  I imagined much more card-swapping than that.

I have XM satellite radio in the Jeep and so we have over 150 radio channels to listen to.

A necessity, I'd imagine.  Especially on the Intersates.

The time passes quickly.

Good to hear.  I admire your decision to drive.  Many years I drove Vancouver-Las Vegas return for NAB.  My friends thought I was crazy.  I though they were crazy to miss the drive.

Based on CTMIAH, I'll be installing a dash cam in Frito this winter.  Thanks for inviting us along on your epic road trip.

"North Americans think a hundred years is a long time.  Europeans think a hundred miles is a long way."

John Camp

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 05:21:50 pm »

The vehicle is a Jeep Grand Cherokee. A medium sized SUV.

I have XM satellite radio in the Jeep and so we have over 150 radio channels to listen to. Our taste ranges from Jazz, to Blues to Classical, and Rock and Roll. Also the BBC news once or twice a day. The time passes quickly.
Michael

An excellent choice of vehicles, sometimes called a "stealth Mercedes" because it was originally designed when Daimler owned Chrysler, and it has a lot of Mercedes tech in it. I do at least two long road trips every year, and wouldn't know how to get along without satellite radio. On one of my trips, up to Prudhoe Bay, in Alaska, we lost satellite radio because the satellite was below the horizon...as for the comment about the prairie being boring, I don't find it boring at all -- there's no better place to see the sky, for one thing. And at night, the Milky Way. I doubt that anybody in Europe, except possibly in the northern reaches of Scandinavia,  could see the Milky Way likes it looks in certain spots on the American prairie...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 08:15:11 pm »

Unlike in Europe (and even Mexico) there is very little lane discipline in Canada or the US). The passing lane is simply treated as a driving lane on 4 lane divided highways.

This means pulling up behind someone that is driving slowly in the left lane and flashing your lights a few times. Sometimes they get it, and pull over, sometimes not. The only solution then is to carefully pass them on the right.

Having driven with Michael a lot (far, far less than Chris has) I proclaim Mike to be a good "traffic average +" driver. Normally, Mike likes to get ahead of people but mainly to keep to a schedule but he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

However, Mike's driving changes radically in the last 15-20 minutes before sunset or after sunrise. If you are faint of heart, you don't want to be in the passenger seat when Mike is hunting a shot. There have been times that the vehicle he's driving ends up all cattywampus in the middle of the road with the all the doors open while Mike grabs a shot. At those times, screw the tripod...you'll never get it open and collapsed in time for Mike's instant departure (which happens when he's done shooting).

fredjeang2

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2013, 06:22:18 am »

Having driven with Michael a lot (far, far less than Chris has) I proclaim Mike to be a good "traffic average +" driver. Normally, Mike likes to get ahead of people but mainly to keep to a schedule but he doesn't suffer fools gladly.

However, Mike's driving changes radically in the last 15-20 minutes before sunset or after sunrise. If you are faint of heart, you don't want to be in the passenger seat when Mike is hunting a shot. There have been times that the vehicle he's driving ends up all cattywampus in the middle of the road with the all the doors open while Mike grabs a shot. At those times, screw the tripod...you'll never get it open and collapsed in time for Mike's instant departure (which happens when he's done shooting).

That's why I always said that Michael
Needs a Lambo.
The way doors open changes all.

And now that he uses micro gear, it's
Just about perfect to fit in the tiny luggage comp.
(with a Vuitton bag of course)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:28:52 am by fredjeang2 »

michael

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 09:21:36 am »

An excellent choice of vehicles, sometimes called a "stealth Mercedes" because it was originally designed when Daimler owned Chrysler, and it has a lot of Mercedes tech in it. ...

John. In fact it's better than the Mercedes ML350, which is its sister. I had the 2012 MB and drove it to Mexico last year. It was fine on the highway, but hopeless off road.

I switched to a new 2014 Grand Cherokee because it's a real off-road vehicle, with a Low Range transmission, variable height air suspension, 6 setting traction control, and hill descent control.

Frankly, it is better finished than the MB. Equally pleasurable on the highway and in a totally other league when it comes to off road.

The MB stuck out a bit here in Mexico and was too high profile in the back country. The Jeep is just another Jeep, though a bit flash. Nevertheless, the State Police here drive them so they are a common sight on the road.

Interestingly the V8 that's in it is made here in Mexico, about 50km from where I live. The transmission is German (the new ZF 8 speed) and the car itself is built in Detroit – the last one to still be built in that city proper, and not that far from my home in Toronto.

And so far, in 9 months and some 20,000 km of on-and off road driving the Jeep has been absolutely perfect. Not a single thing has gone wrong. I can't say that about any other car that I've ever owned.

Oh yes, and the warranty is good in Canada, the US and Mexico, something that few other cars offer. And, the V8 runs on regular gas. :-)

Needless to say, I love this vehicle, and if this was an auto review site I'd have a 30 page write-up online.

Michael

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 09:01:51 pm »

The only thing missing from the film is an appearance of Lula (the dog).  Since she/he inspired the trip, I would
like to ask if you would consider posting a picture of her/him.

Another dog picture is always welcome.  Maybe BobDavid could take the portrait.  You could pass out 8X10 glossies of
the (unseen) star.

Regards,
Dale
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:05:13 pm by Dale Villeponteaux »
My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up