Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Voigtlander  (Read 3057 times)

Hackman

Voigtlander
« on: November 29, 2013, 06:32:57 pm »

Hi there

Question:
Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.96;
Too expensive
Too bulky
No AF
(All the reasons for shooting mft in the first place are therefore crossed out)
Too soft at wide open apertures
Too much ca

Does this sum it up or is there more to it?
I must say i like the look and feel of some sample images.
Mark
He who seeks wisdom,... uuuuh, He

scooby70

Re: Voigtlander
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 07:58:15 pm »

I have the 25mm f0.95 and it's an outstanding lens. Having said that I don't use it much as I got into cheap legacy lenses :D

Manual focus is easy on these cameras and the lenses both old and new are just a joy to use and I'm pretty sure that those Voigtlanders will last decades.

If you can't see the point then maybe they're not for you but Voigtlander don't seem to have too much trouble finding buyers.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:13:40 am »

I dream of owning the 17.5 Voigtlander!!  I have the 25mm and it is really good - especially for available light photography in the dark.  It's all about the fast aperture, the silky manual focus and the simplicity of it all.  The pictures are pretty good too!.

Jim

Chrisso26

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:30:37 am »

I have the 25mm. Very well made, feels solid.
Nice images, not amazing, but nice.
Yes, it's quite big.
I think if you are in second thoughts already - pass.

scooby70

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 10:43:30 am »

I have the 25mm. Very well made, feels solid.
Nice images, not amazing, but nice.
Yes, it's quite big.
I think if you are in second thoughts already - pass.

I'm surprised. I'm very pleased with the IQ mine gives as it gives super resolution and sharpness and it's even pretty impressive at f0.95. It is quite heavy but not too much so IMO and size wise it's only about the same size as a kit lens or a legacy prime plus adapter.

All in all I'd say it's the best lens I've ever owned. I'd say that the best AF lens I've ever owned is the Sigma 85mm f1.4.

bcooter

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 02:31:59 pm »

Voigtlander 17.5mm f0.96;
Too expensive
Too bulky
No AF

Like cars and lenses, there is no such thing as too fast.

But any lens at f1 are usually going to have some softness and issues, though softness is a lot different than out of focus and the voigts aren't sharp wide open but they're pretty wide open with a glow, that is (excuse the overworked term) film like or better put cinemagraphic.

You want to shoot imagery that stands out see the world in a selective focus mode and it's pretty.

The only problem with the voigts is the mount.  I'd much rather spring for 1 or 1.2 leica m mounts and convert them than an m43 mounts, since the leica mount lenses will cover more territory and work on different cameras.  I don't know if the .95 m43 lenses cover a super 35mm frame or even apsc, probably not, which makes them kind of a one trick lens.

IMO

BC

Telecaster

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:43:33 pm »

I think the Voigts are lovely lenses with a signature look at wide apertures. Not ultra-crisp but crisper than, say, an f/1 Noctilux and at least as crisp as anyone's 50/1.2 or 85/1.2–1.4. Stopped down past f/2 they're also very sharp. They balance well on the Olympus E-M1, less so on other (smaller) m43 bodies. (I'd post some pics but I just did a file cleanup on my iPad in prep for an upgrade.)

-Dave-

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 04:24:15 pm »

I think the Voigts are lovely lenses with a signature look at wide apertures. Not ultra-crisp but crisper than, say, an f/1 Noctilux and at least as crisp as anyone's 50/1.2 or 85/1.2–1.4. Stopped down past f/2 they're also very sharp. They balance well on the Olympus E-M1, less so on other (smaller) m43 bodies. (I'd post some pics but I just did a file cleanup on my iPad in prep for an upgrade.)

-Dave-

Daves right about the signature look.

If you have to explain why you like the look of a voight you probably shouldn't buy one.

There not pixel peeping sharp but they just look . . . historic.   

I bought the 35 and 50 for my M8 and never used them, or used them very little, but on the m43 cameras they come to life.  It's just different and kind of grainy looking, kind of flat field, but pretty glow.

I'm still on the fence on buying the .95s  Might get the 17.5, and 25 mostly for video, but since I have a 35 and 50 in m mount, I'll stop there.   I love glass, really distinctive glass and it's hard to find lenses that aren't over sharp mechanical looking.

I have a few lenses that stand out and are unique.  The old Harblei tilt shifts in Contax 645 and Canon mount.  They work great on the 645, less so on a Canon but I'm going to convert the canon to mfthirds and see what shakes loose.

I also love the voights and the the really nicest lens for mfthirds is that slow Pansonic 100 to 300 4 to 5.6.   It's just too slow for a lot of work, especially at night, but has the prettiest fall off of any lens for this system and really interesting compression.

IMO

BC

Hackman

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:05 pm »

Thanks guys. I just ordered one!

Gut feeling, I don't know.
I love the images i have seen and intend to use the 'manual controls' to hopefully improve my technical skills.
Mark
He who seeks wisdom,... uuuuh, He
Pages: [1]   Go Up