Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon inkjet paper: buy 1 get 4 free, now with free shipping on any size order  (Read 7953 times)

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/free-gift-paper-and-scrapbooking-kit-promo

EDIT: See subsequent posts in this thread. Since the OP, someone else came across a way to "stack" a 50% discount on top of the "buy one get five" discount. Then a way to "stack" yet another "get nine gifts" on top of that.

In previous offers, there has been free shipping, but at a threshold of either $50 or $100 USD.
According to Canon:
> "FREE Ground Shipping and Handling ... Offer valid October 16, 2013 12:00 a.m. through December 31, 2013"

I checked with Canon sales support, and the paper isn't discontinued or "seconds".

My calculations are that most of the paper works out to the equivalent of $0.14 USD (14¢) per letter size sheet, which is about the same or better than Costco Kirkland glossy inkjet paper. The Pro Platinum works out to about 25¢ per sheet.

The 4x6" works out to about 3.2¢ per sheet, which is pretty much the same per square inch as the letter size sheets (my experience is that 4x6" is usually quite a bit more per square inch than letter size sheets).

The only downside compared to previous, similar Canon promotions: I didn't notice any 13x19" A3+ paper. Maybe for the next promotion?

FWIW: since I refill my CLI-8 and CLI-221 dye ink cartridges, I figure my out-of-pocket cost for good to very good quality color-managed letter size prints is less than 20¢. The archival expectations compared to using Canon oem ink are unknown, however.

If you want to get a large amount of paper to stock up, their website allows multiple, separate orders. Otherwise, if you order two packages of the same item on the same invoice (such as 2 packages of Pro Platinum), the first item will get the 4 extra included, but the second of the same item will be a full price. So you are paying for two, and getting six. That's not nearly as good a deal.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 11:57:40 pm by l_d_allan »
retired in Colorado Springs, CO, USA ... hobby'ist with mostly Canon gear

gchappel

Check the canon page frequently- the deals change at least once a week.
Tues or Wed last week they did have 13x19" paper for the buy one get 4 free.
You could also buy several- I bought 3 and will get 15 boxes of 13x19"
Can't beat that!
I refill my own cartridges as well- otherwise the pro-100 would break me- goes through these little cartridges fast.
Gary

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

Can't beat that!

Actually, you can !

Check out this thread ...
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52615444

IF you register a printer, then there is a promo-code that allows an additional 50% off, even on the "buy one, get five" promotion. In effect, you get ... "buy a box at half price, get five".  I had a used MP610 letter size CLI-8 printer I bought on CraigsList a year or so ago, and hadn't registered it yet. That registration resulted in getting a code for the 50% off. If you recently purchased a Pro-100, you're golden!

"Double stacking" of coupons at its finest!

FWIW: I was able to get about $650 USD worth of genuine Canon premium paper for $36, including tax and shipping. (bundle of Luster + Semi-Gloss + Plus-Glossy-II + Pro-Platinum + 13x19"). Almost 700 sheets of letter size paper, at about 3.5¢ a letter size sheet, if I did the math correctly.

First world problem: be intentional about doing a LOT of printing to use it up.

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

"Canon Premium Paper"
Boy thats an oxymoron if I ever heard one. 8)
All jesting aside if you can find a use for it you are certainly right,about as cheap as free!

chez

"Canon Premium Paper"
All jesting aside if you can find a use for it you are certainly right,about as cheap as free!

My exact thoughts. The reason I do my own printing is for the quality of what I can produce compared to commercial labs. That quality starts with the paper and inks.

RachelleK

My exact thoughts. The reason I do my own printing is for the quality of what I can produce compared to commercial labs. That quality starts with the paper and inks.

So are you saying that Canon paper and inks are not very high quality?

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

MMV ... my mileage varies.

One of the main reasons I print is that with refilled, non-oem ink, I can be the volunteer photographer at non-profit events, and give away high quality, letter size prints at a VERY low cost.

Like 1000+ 5x7" and letter size prints at a five day "Kids Camp" at an out-of-pocket expense of under $40.

Before these Canon offers, I used to be limited to cheap HP Everyday paper and Staples Matte, using Staples Rebates. Sadly, those rebates are becoming fewer and fewer. Now I've got what I am confident is much higher quality, Canon paper at about the same pennies per sheet expense.

Granted, that combination with non-oem ink has unknown archival duration. However, for those prints that matter, I now can use "precious" oem-ink and real Canon paper. That combination gives me a reasonable expectation of decades of fade resistance.

My observation is that most people find they are better off printing at Costco at $1.50 per 8x10", rather than trial and error with oem ink and oem paper. My experience has been that if you know what you are doing with DryCreek profiles, Costco can potential make very good prints. The "home printer" tends to end up spending a lot of time and ink and paper to get a decent print. Why bother with expensive oem ink and expensive oem paper?

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

"Canon Premium Paper"

Not meaning to contribute to a flame war.

I have zero experience with Epson printers, Epson ink, and Epson paper. My impression is that professional printers tend to use Epson, and that someone who really knows what they are doing can get better prints using premium Epson paper and ink and printer.

However, my speculation is that used to be true, but perhaps isn't as true as it used to be.

I can believe that Canon paper plus Epson ink plus Epson printers might be less than optimal, in terms of gamut volume, DE2k, and banding issues.

I can also believe that Epson pigment ink may work better with Epson paper than with Canon paper. I suppose I'd be surprised if it didn't. Does that make Canon paper inferior to Epson paper?

I have no idea how Canon dye ink on this heavily discounted Canon paper by a heavily rebated, almost free Canon dye printer like the Pro-100 compares to equivalent Epson results. But I have GREAT confidence the cost per A3+ print is dramatically lower. Factor of 10? 20?

Or how Canon pigment ink on Canon paper by a Canon almost professional pigment printer like the Pro-1 compares to equivalent Epson results?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:30:00 pm by l_d_allan »

TSJ1927

This is excellent paper for "head checks" ...............no kidding!

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

"head check" = "nozzle check"?

I agree that using plain copy paper is less than ideal for "nozzle checks". You can see a lot more with inexpensive glossy paper than plain paper.

FWIW: here in Colorado at 6500 feet elevation, there can potentially be "ink flow starvation" issues during bad weather and low barometric pressure. I will use very inexpensive HP Everyday glossy I got for 2¢ per sheet (Free after Rebate and including tax on the grossly overpriced MSRP).

Prior to some real printing, I make "stress test" prints with large rectangles of saturated cyan (0,255,255), magenta (255,0,255), yellow (255,255,0), and black (0,0,0). At High-quality, slow unidirectional, and then Standard quality, faster, bi-directional using inexpensive HP Everyday glossy.  Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to figure out what RGB to use to stress test Photo-Cyan and Photo-Magenta nozzles. Or the 1 and 2 pico-liter nozzles on my letter size printers that provide the equivalent of PC, PM, and Gray. Those colors are much lighter.

I've got a LOT of HP Everyday glossy, acquired over several years with "Free after Rebate" promotions. I suppose if I ever run out of that "Free after Rebate" paper, I might use heavily discounted Canon paper.

Or by "head check", do you mean a "draft print" to see how a letter size print will look before making a larger print? Kind of like pros used a Polaroid prior to making a large format negative?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 07:57:42 pm by l_d_allan »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

The whole deal about "giving away" the paper and the printer is the time-honored "lost lead" technique, so Canon can sell a butt-load of ink at outrageous prices.

Buy a ton of paper and how will you get the ink to print on it?  To my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, they NEVER discount ink prices.

If you buy $750 worth of Canon paper and get it for next to nothing, I guess it can always be used for fire-starting paper, but then again... newspaper would be better.

Better hope someone comes up with a bulk ink reload system with actual Canon ink....
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

The whole deal about "giving away" the paper and the printer is the time-honored "lost lead" technique, so Canon can sell a butt-load of ink at outrageous prices.

Agree. King Gillette came up with "give away the razor and sell the blades" back in the 1800's.

Buy a ton of paper and how will you get the ink to print on it?  To my knowledge, and please correct me if I'm wrong, they NEVER discount ink prices.

I did see Staples had a Black Friday special of 50% off. That's the first time I've seen that good of a price. Tempting, even for a cart refiller. My speculation is that 50% off is about their cost, and they don't lose money at that price.

If you buy $750 worth of Canon paper and get it for next to nothing, I guess it can always be used for fire-starting paper, but then again... newspaper would be better.

Agree, it isn't really a great deal unless you refill your carts. It doesn't apply to people selling prints, as archival longevity is an issue, and the cost of ink and paper should be a small percent of the selling price.

Better hope someone comes up with a bulk ink reload system with actual Canon ink....

I'm not clear this would actually help, at least for hobby'ist with A3+ and smaller printers. When you do the math, the cost per ml from a 700 ml wide format printer isn't all that much better than the 13 ml hobby'ist carts, if I did the calculations correctly.

I've seen suggestions for using a syringe to get Canon oem pigment ink from a wide format printer cart, and somehow get that into a 9500-2 bladder cart. Seems like a bad idea, and wouldn't really save that much.

Also, my understanding is that Canon printers of A3+ and smaller plus CISS don't play well together. YMMV.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:13:48 am by l_d_allan »

gchappel

I have the pro-100 and the epson 3880.
Proper color managed system, etc.
I am presently printing on the canon with refilled cartridges using ink from precision color.
I have compared multiple prints between the 2 printers. 
One is pigment, one is dye.
Prints do look different.  Usually subtle, my  friends do not notice.   Sometimes I like one printer, sometimes the other.
Colors look accurate on both
Longevity??  Prints I hang and frame still get printed from the 3880.
My give aways--  which are a lot- the canon just chugs away.
With ink and paper approaching free that printer prints a lot.  I do have to refill cartridges once a week or so.
I do not understand canon's business plan here, but will dance as long as the music plays.
Gary

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

I have the pro-100 and the epson 3880.

Nice combo. I'm going to take a wild guess that you have others. Or not?

I am presently printing on the canon with refilled cartridges using ink from precision color.

I use OCP, and have been mostly satisfied. I probably out to give PC a try, but the thought of another gallon of ink (8 colors x 16 oz) makes me reluctant.

I have compared multiple prints between the 2 printers. 
One is pigment, one is dye.
Prints do look different.  Usually subtle, my  friends do not notice.   Sometimes I like one printer, sometimes the other.
Colors look accurate on both

Makes sense, and about what I expected. My impression is that prints made with dye ink might look like they have more dynamic range and/or saturation, but that may have been the case in the past, and not so much now. At least in the past, dye ink had the reputation of having more "pop" and "snap" than pigment ink. In comparison to dye, prints from pigment tended to look more muted. Or not? I've never owned or used a pigment printer.

Longevity??  Prints I hang and frame still get printed from the 3880.

I mostly feel the same way ... not confident that my combinations of non-oem paper and non-oem ink will have acceptable fade resistance.

But with all this Canon paper I not nave, it seems like it might be much better for using Canon oem-ink on some of my "precious" prints. My impression is that the "100" in ChromaLife-100 is meant to imply that a person can expect 100+ years of archival longevity. Or not?

My give aways--  which are a lot- the canon just chugs away.
Good for you, but perhaps some professional printers might not be happy about their perception you are "taking food off their plate".

I'm curious what a "LOT" is to you, if you don't mind me asking. For me, it varies by year, but I'd estimate I usually give away the equivalent of 1000 to 2000+ letter size prints a year. I expect that to increase quite a bit for 2014. Nice "1st world problem" to have.

With ink and paper approaching free that printer prints a lot.  I do have to refill cartridges once a week or so.

Similar experience. I infer you print A LOT. Do you tend to refill a few carts at a time, or "bulk refilling" of 20+ carts at a time.

Between my CLI-8's and CLI-221's, I perhaps have 200+ carts that mostly started off as "virgin empties" from eBay. Several times a year, I'll refill 50 to 80+ at a time, kind of in an assembly line approach.

I anticipate with the 1000's and 1000's of Canon paper lying around the house from my binge of purchases, my amount of printing will increase dramatically. I worry that I've crossed the threshold of incurring the W.O.W. (wrath of wife)

To me, it's a hoot to be a "big spender" on prints that people perceive to be pricey. This weekend when a friend at the pantry asked about getting some prints from this summer's VBS, I can be a "big spender"  and ask ... "would you like 5x7's or 8x10's ? " I can make 5+ letter size prints and not even think about the 50¢ out-of-pocket expense. Chump change.

I do not understand canon's business plan here, but will dance as long as the music plays.

I suppose the King Gillette model of "give away the razor handle and sell the blades at a premium price" applies? If I did the math right, Canon gets the equivalent of $10,000 per gallon for 9 ml and 13 ml hobby'ist carts. My impression is that HP and Epson are even more per gallon.

With the non-oem German ink I use, I can get 8 x 16 oz (128 oz = 1 gallon = about 4 liters) of high quality dye ink for about $100 USD. That's a factor of 100x less than Canon's oem ink MSRP.

My speculation is that as a vertically integrated company (cameras, lenses, paper, ink, etc.) Canon has chosen to semi-subsidize their camera and/or paper business units with their margins on very expensive ink. 

Works for me! I'm more than happy with my prints that are now almost free.

inHaliburton

I saw the remark re these papers not being of high quality.

My question is, I recently purchased an iPF-6400 which uses pigment inks. I prefer luster papers. Would the luster and Platinum papers be a good match?

Thanks, Paul.

gchappel

No, I only have the 2 photoprinters.  I am on my second 3880- simply wore the first one out.
I purchased 2, and might purchase a 3rd pro-100.
This is my first trial at refilling cartridges.  I need to get some other empties when they start showing up- so far I have just been refilling all cartridges whenever one is low.
My wife loves prints- all sizes- so the more I print the happier she is.
My volume is no where near yours- I am good for 1000+ prints 8x10" or larger prints a year.  I can not even guess the number of 4x6's I hand out.
I hope canon has a similar deal on a 24" or larger printer- but I will not hold my breath.
Just pushed the print button on another 15 copies of a neighbors family pic they want.  The pro-100 is just chugging away!
Gary

hugowolf

I'm not clear this would actually help, at least for hobby'ist with A3+ and smaller printers. When you do the math, the cost per ml from a 700 ml wide format printer isn't all that much better than the 13 ml hobby'ist carts, if I did the calculations correctly.
I don't know about Canon ink, but Epson K3 + VM ink is about 1/4 the price per ml for 700 ml compared to 11.4 ml cartridges. And, If I remember correctly, Cone doesn't have a good vivid magenta, so you have to use OEM for that at least.

Brian A

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com

Agree. King Gillette came up with "give away the razor and sell the blades" back in the 1800's.

I did see Staples had a Black Friday special of 50% off. That's the first time I've seen that good of a price. Tempting, even for a cart refiller. My speculation is that 50% off is about their cost, and they don't lose money at that price.

Agree, it isn't really a great deal unless you refill your carts. It doesn't apply to people selling prints, as archival longevity is an issue, and the cost of ink and paper should be a small percent of the selling price.

Your calculations are off.
The 700 ml carts for my epson 9900 are around $224.00@ which comes to .32 per ml.
My Epson 1430 claria dye printer has 13ml carts and they are $23.00 which is about $1.95 per ml.
Just over 600% more costly then my 9900 inks for those little suckers. Which is why I now have Jon Cone's CL dye inks for the 1430.
The Cone dyes are 11.1 cents per mL , 6-220ml bottles for $158.00 and they are reportedly a step up from his Inkthrift dyes.
That's 17 1/2 times cheaper,now thats a difference! And those dye prints on Ilford Prestige Smooth High Gloss beat anything I have ever seen on a high gloss paper.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:47:40 pm by Dan Berg »

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS

And those dye prints on Ilford Prestige Smooth High Gloss beat anything I have ever seen on a high gloss paper.

Glad that paper is working out for you Dan - remember this? LOL - Mark

Raw & Post Processing, Printing / Printers, Papers and Inks / Re: Just GOT a Canon Pro-100    on: September 24, 2013, 08:17:18 PM

Quote from: Dan Berg on September 13, 2013, 12:45:35 PM

"...On that note I join your thread (No intent to hijack) on the hunt for a hi-gloss paper for dye ink that has the highest standard of durability..."

Mark Lindquist replied:

Dan -

Today I made some prints using Ilford Gallerie High Gloss Smooth on the Canon Pro-100.
Absolutely bullet-proof and perfection.  Instant immediate drying and very robust color and depth.  Seems very tough too.
Perhaps you might give it a try.  Ilford has ICC profiles for most printers right on their site under support.
This could be the paper you're looking for.
I made a test print using the modified Atkinson chart, (Printer Evaluation Image), and everything held up with exacting clarity and faithful reproduction.
( http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/PrinterEvaluationImage_V002.zip )

I imagine this paper would work perfectly on your Epson 1430 dye printer as well.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

l_d_allan

• Berean photos

Your calculations are off.
The 700 ml carts for my epson 9900 are around $224.00@ which comes to .32 per ml.

Thanks for checking up on me. But let's stay with "apples and apples" rather than "apples and oranges and watermelons"? When you throw in the Cone ink prices, I think you are reinforcing my point that non-oem inks are much, much lower price.

Also, maybe if I had been referencing Epson, which I wasn't? I am completely ignorant about Epson ink prices.

For an individual 700 ml cartridge:
http://www.adorama.com/ICAPFI703M.html
700 ml for $280 is $0.40 USD per ml

For an individual PGI-9 13 ml cart for a Pro-9500-2
http://www.adorama.com/ICAPGI9GY.html?gclid=CIzA_tPNlbsCFed0QgodfkAA6w
$15 for 13 ml is about $1.15

http://www.adorama.com/ICA12PFI206.html
$1400 for a complete set of 12 colors at 300ml each for a iPF64##
That's 3600 ml, or about 3.6 liters or about a gallon works out to about $0.36 per ml

About the worst case scenario for Canon ink is the CLI-221, CLI-226, and CLI-251. Those are 9 ml, and cost about $15. That's about $1.67 per ml. A gallon is about 3800 ml. So 3800 x $1.67 = $6300. Hmmmm, my premise that Canon ink is $10,000 per gallon is inflated. My bad.

However, you really don't get 13 ml ink from an oem cart. Even if you go past where it reports EMPTY, my digital, electronic jewelers scale reports that 1.5 to 2.5 ml of ink remain. I would estimate that most people replace a CLI-8, CLI-221, CLI-226, or CLI-251 cart with 2 ml or more left in it. With CLI-8, you can take the cart out and visually inspect the foam sponges, You can't do that with CLI-221, CLI-226, CLI-251 etc.

The "ringer" is OCP ink ...
http://www.rjettek.com/Canon/CLI-36-C-Inkjet-Inks/M122-H-Bulk-Magenta-Inkjet-Ink-for-Canon-Cartridges.html
$72 for 1 gallon = 128 oz = 3800 ml.  That's a bit under $0.02 per ml or 2¢. I buy in 16 oz quantifies (500 ml) for $12. That works out to about 2.5¢

Anyway, back to the original point. OK?
I claimed it wasn't worth it to remove pigment ink from a 700 ml CANON cart for a large format printer. I had thought it was a price factor of "only" 50% or so, which wouldn't be worth it to me. It appears that the price factor is closer to 33%, so perhaps that wouldn't be quite so ridiculous. Or not? I wouldn't.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up