Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printing on thin rice paper to be coated/laminated to ski?  (Read 1614 times)

nairb

printing on thin rice paper to be coated/laminated to ski?
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:24:50 pm »

I've just had a local ski manufacturer (ie garage based) come to me asking about printing photos and graphics on rice paper to be resin coated/laminated on to a skis top sheet.

I've done some googling around and found people doing this for surf boards, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of material or know of a better process to do it.

Would there be any kind of an inkjet rice paper with a peel off backing or something like that. I did a couple prints for him on my 4880, but the paper is pretty darn thin and then the colours were way funky. I saw a suggestion online of taping the rice paper to another backing paper so it's thick/stiff enough to feed through easily.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

davidh202

mkihne

Re: printing on thin rice paper to be coated/laminated to ski?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »

Don't know how you get around the problem with constant flexing you run into in snow skis, if that's what you are talking about. Delamination is likely your limiting issue with the other stuff doable.

I think you might be limited to a substrate with flex, like vinyl used for graphics over which you can laminate and UV protect.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:25:55 pm by mkihne »
Pages: [1]   Go Up