Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing images that have Lightroom adjustments  (Read 4521 times)

J. Paul

Importing images that have Lightroom adjustments
« on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:26 am »

Hello all,
What happens when I import an image with Lightroom adjustments in to Capture One Pro 7?  Are any of the adjustments carried over?  Is this a bad practice?
Thanks!
J. Paul

Denis de Gannes

Re: Importing images that have Lightroom adjustments
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:09:16 pm »

Lightroom and Capture one are third part software programs that use different proprietary software processes for rendering raw files captured by digital cameras.
So neither program can read or utilize adjustments applied by the other.     
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 09:49:41 pm »

Actually in a surprising move earlier this year Phase One added a Import LightRoom Catalog option which does try to convert some of Lightroom's adjustments.

It's a very imperfect process as the two softwares use different math throughout the conversion process. But it does save some time, especially in easy-to-translate settings like crop, rotation, and ratings.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 01:08:38 am »

Hi,

Don't expect to much. The processing engines are very different.

Simple adjustment may work. The PV 2012 that was introduced with LR4 does a lot of tone mapping on highlights and shadows that seems to me to much different from C1, I don't think that converts well.

Best regards
Erik

Hello all,
What happens when I import an image with Lightroom adjustments in to Capture One Pro 7?  Are any of the adjustments carried over?  Is this a bad practice?
Thanks!
J. Paul
Erik Kaffehr

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 06:03:35 pm »

Erik, you could not be more correct!

Folks, DO NOT attempt this unless your LR images are completely backed up and safe. It is not even a good idea and I have learned the HARD WAY.

Thankfully my images are backed up. Going forward will be using C1 because the way it renders Canon files is strikingly good. They have certainly done their homework here and it shows in the RAWs. Gorgeous

However your images that were in LR w/adjustments stand a very good chance of being messes or worse, totally corrupted. Sadly, running them back through LR is of no use, they are burned. Be very careful. Some come over just fine and some are destroyed and some are not destroyed, but useless nonetheless

>:(

Hi,

Don't expect to much. The processing engines are very different.

Simple adjustment may work. The PV 2012 that was introduced with LR4 does a lot of tone mapping on highlights and shadows that seems to me to much different from C1, I don't think that converts well.

Best regards
Erik

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:01:05 pm by allegretto »

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 05:09:12 am »

LR has proxies to the images but doesn't change the raws other than some metadata writes if set to do so.
I can't see how C1 would destroy an image, but can understand the xmp sidecars could be overwritten causing them to be unusable.

IF C1 really does damage images upon importing a cat with from LR that would be a serious problem.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 09:25:32 am »

As other's have pointed out, all this processing from raw is totally proprietary! A rendered image will be a different story. LR doesn't affect the raw data one bit, the instructions, even if they had the same name (Clarity, Exposure) are unique to each raw processor. You might import a library of images from product to product to have access to the raws, but the processing instruction and more (Virtual Copies as an example) will not transfer. They are proprietary to the products themselves.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:24:38 pm »

yes, but I moved the assets to Media One. I realize that you are correct IF the images stay where they were initially cataloged. It would be worthwhile to look and see if Media One changed them

No matter, it's all backed up and can rebuild the LR5 cat from the backup in any case.

Thanks for the thoughts however!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 05:52:05 pm »

Hi,

If it actually destroys raw data I would call it criminal act by negligence…

I man not sure that poking around with metadata in DNG files is so smart either, at least DNG has a checksum that guards data.

Best regards
Erik

LR has proxies to the images but doesn't change the raws other than some metadata writes if set to do so.
I can't see how C1 would destroy an image, but can understand the xmp sidecars could be overwritten causing them to be unusable.

IF C1 really does damage images upon importing a cat with from LR that would be a serious problem.
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up