Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A focus magic sharpening sample (repost)  (Read 5540 times)

Fine_Art

Re: A focus magic sharpening sample (repost)
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 10:41:33 pm »

I don't see any halos along hair edges in my attempt on the fox image. The what you call mosquito noise along edges of hair strands won't be seen in a print due to the fact stochastic dithering of inkjet resolution won't have enough dot resolution to render it.

On your last attempt I see a lot of spectral like white dots peppered throughout and an overall softness to the entire image which is why just focusing on edge detail does not make a sharp image on its own. Like I said before global, local and micro contrast must transition together to create the illusion of sharpness in an image, not just edge sharpness.

I still haven't seen in this thread what deconvolution looks like and how it directly benefits the appearance of sharpness.

The image size seems to zoom in firefox. Look at the image in another program, it will be smaller and sharper looking than in the browser.

I was re-posting it yesterday thinking I had posted the wrong file. No, for some reason the site sets this viewport tag to fill the screen. The pictures will all look wierd if they are stretched by this.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:04:13 pm by Fine_Art »

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 11:57:53 pm »

Whose fox image am I looking at? Yours or mine or both side by side? I still see white spectral dots peppered about the image. I also don't get why one image looks yellowish and the other looks reddish if we're working from the same image just different formats.

Which part is deconvolution and which is making the white speckled dots?

I have to say the reddish one on the right with speckled white dots looks sharper but with quite a lot of noise but I do notice it's more on account of local contrast adjustments compared to the yellowish one on the left which I'm assuming is the one I did. I've lost track because this is just getting too confusing due to all the variances from browsers used and whether we're working from botched color managed images due to the test image not being tagged.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 12:05:12 am by Tim Lookingbill »

Fine_Art

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2013, 11:58:59 am »

Whose fox image am I looking at? Yours or mine or both side by side? I still see white spectral dots peppered about the image. I also don't get why one image looks yellowish and the other looks reddish if we're working from the same image just different formats.

Which part is deconvolution and which is making the white speckled dots?

I have to say the reddish one on the right with speckled white dots looks sharper but with quite a lot of noise but I do notice it's more on account of local contrast adjustments compared to the yellowish one on the left which I'm assuming is the one I did. I've lost track because this is just getting too confusing due to all the variances from browsers used and whether we're working from botched color managed images due to the test image not being tagged.

They are both the same file, mine. I dont know why the browser is stretching it. I have pressed alt+0 which should return it to normal size.

In any event white peaks are a result of deconvolution trying to squeeze the data into gaussian points. On very flat data it tends to form a mazing pattern as it grabs on to tiny pixel level variations.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up