Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf 6400 and optional spectrophotometer, or X-Rite ColorMunki Photo...  (Read 2029 times)

inHaliburton

I just got my new 6400 running.

Can the optional spectrophotometer be installed on the 6400 or only on the 6450?

I'm torn between the above and the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo. Of course, it's much cheaper. I have a Spyder brand that died on my and I found that it was a real pain to use and very time-consuming. Is the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo any less time-consuming to use than the Spyder brand?

Do you think the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo will be on sale Black Friday?

Thanks for any input.

Some Guy

Re: ipf 6400 and optional spectrophotometer, or X-Rite ColorMunki Photo...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »

B&H Photo and Amazon have the Colormunki Photo on sale for $399 (Normally $449) until 11-30-2013.  I've seen it higher in some stores at $499 so $399 is pretty good deal.

I went from DataColor's Spyder (I had two models of them.) to the Munki and it is far better, imho.  If you do it right in the Epson driver when it pops up for printing, one can select 2 per page in the driver setup and print one target on one end of the 8.5x11 paper, read it, and flip it and print the second one at the opposite end, read it, and let it write the ICC profile.

I did it today on one sheet of paper.  Just need to place a flat edge guide about 7/8" below the point of the last chevron's point in the line horizontally and run the Munki across it slowly.  Just keep the white flashing dot off the edge of the row and release the reading button once past the final one and into the white paper edge at the end of the row.  I wasted a lot of paper doing the two full sheets per calibration prior where one will do it along with a straight edge for a guide.

SG

inHaliburton

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:41 pm »

Thanks for that helpful info.

I'm going to order the Colormunki Photo while it's on sale.

My monitor is the LaCie 324i and I'm wondering if would be better: calibrate the monitor with the included Blue Eye puck, or use the Colormunki Photo for the entire monitor and printer calibration process?

Thanks again for any help.

howardm

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 07:43:04 am »

Thanks for that helpful info.

I'm going to order the Colormunki Photo while it's on sale.

My monitor is the LaCie 324i and I'm wondering if would be better: calibrate the monitor with the included Blue Eye puck, or use the Colormunki Photo for the entire monitor and printer calibration process?

Thanks again for any help.

if the monitor has it's own internal LUTs and electronics, then using the LaCie software to directly manage it will be a win but then it becomes an issue of whether the software will work w/ the ColorMunki.  You'll have to try it and find out (or contact LaCie).  In
theory, the BlueEye should give slightly better dark values.

inHaliburton

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 07:00:53 pm »

Thanks for that Howard. I read somewhere about the monitor having its lut so you are probably right on that. At any rate, I'll need the X-Rite ColorMunki Photo hardware so I'll go ahead and order. I'll get in touch with LaCie re their puck.
Thanks for your help.
Regards, Paul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up