Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paper recommendation for B&W printing - architectural and landscapes  (Read 1145 times)

msoomro

I am seeking paper recommendations for b&w printing and looking for the best paper options available.

b&W is my new focus and have only done limited work so far on Epson exhibition fiber. I like the paper however, want to see what others  are using and what gives more superior results. My usage will be intimate landscapes, nature and  architectural subjects (mostly exterior)

Thanks.
Msoomro

DeanChriss

• http://www.dmcphoto.com
Re: Paper recommendation for B&W printing - architectural and landscapes
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:36:00 pm »

I am seeking paper recommendations for b&w printing and looking for the best paper options available.

b&W is my new focus and have only done limited work so far on Epson exhibition fiber. I like the paper however, want to see what others  are using and what gives more superior results. My usage will be intimate landscapes, nature and  architectural subjects (mostly exterior)

Thanks.
Msoomro

I'm not sure there's a "best" paper. It depends on the subject and look you're after in the finished print. I've used EEF, Canson Baryta Photographique/Ilford GFS, and warm toned mat papers like Epson Hot Press Natural. Each imparts a different look. On rare occasions when some texture works I like Canson Platine. It's color is similar to Ilford GFS. Your mileage and tastes may vary, but those papers give a nice range to experiment with.
- Dean

chez

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:54:05 pm »

What printer are you using? I just converted an Epson 3880 to use Piezography for my black and white prints and the results are truly stunning. So much more depth in the tones than can be achieved using traditional colour inks. If you are serious about your B&W...I'd take a look at Piezography.

msoomro

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 02:18:13 pm »

Thanks Dean. I agree with you on the desired look of output. Matt papers have not worked for me so far. What limited experiments I did,  i do like the GFS and Ex. fiber. For some subjects I also liked what I got out of metallic paper. However, I feel I am not getting the depth and  'presence' I see in others prints , if u know what I mean.

Chez, your idea about piezography is interesting. What are good sources of learning more about it?.  While I Have not tried I have heard 3880 delivers great with this method.  Wondering if I could do same with 4900. 

Currently I have epson 4900 and soon setting up iPF8400.

Thanks

chez

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 03:50:37 pm »

Should work with the 4900 no problems. Here is a good place to get more info:

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPress/

harry

Thanks Dean. I agree with you on the desired look of output. Matt papers have not worked for me so far. What limited experiments I did,  i do like the GFS and Ex. fiber. For some subjects I also liked what I got out of metallic paper. However, I feel I am not getting the depth and  'presence' I see in others prints , if u know what I mean.

Chez, your idea about piezography is interesting. What are good sources of learning more about it?.  While I Have not tried I have heard 3880 delivers great with this method.  Wondering if I could do same with 4900. 

Currently I have epson 4900 and soon setting up iPF8400.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up