Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sinaron vs. Rodenstock Lenses  (Read 3199 times)

JoeKitchen

Sinaron vs. Rodenstock Lenses
« on: November 27, 2013, 11:43:29 am »

I am under the impression that any Sinaron lens is actually a Rodenstock lens with Sinar's name on it, correct? 

If so, is there an difference between the Sinaron version of a lens when compared to the Rodenstock version?

I ask, because a Sinar dealer has a Sinaron lens that I am thinking of purchasing (with new copal shutters too  ;D). 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Phil Indeblanc

Re: Sinaron vs. Rodenstock Lenses
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 12:02:15 pm »

This is also being discussed in the Lieca buys Sinar thread...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84512.0
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 12:37:32 pm »

I am under the impression that any Sinaron lens is actually a Rodenstock lens with Sinar's name on it, correct? 

If so, is there an difference between the Sinaron version of a lens when compared to the Rodenstock version?

I ask, because a Sinar dealer has a Sinaron lens that I am thinking of purchasing (with new copal shutters too  ;D). 

My understanding has been:

Sinar is performing some additional QC on the lenses they receive. In contrast, the US importer for Rodenstock lenses would simply accept all lenses, sell them as orders come in (same as any other standard lens is distributed, Canon, Nikon, etc). That doesn't mean you're guaranteed to get a sharper lens if it is a Sinaron, but it is a safer bet that you won't get a weak one.

Steve Hendrix
Capture Integration
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

henrikfoto

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03:25 pm »

I don't think Sinar can do any optical tests Rodenstock can't do.
I simply don't beleave this old story. a Sinaron is a rebranded
Rodenstock lens nothing more! I have many of both types.
There is absolutely no difference in any way.

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:09:03 pm »

Henrick,

I am interested in your basis for disbelief in the received wisdom that SINAR checks the lenses that they receive before selling them.  I am interested to know where that information might be found.

Jerry Reed

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 01:20:21 pm »

As I understand it, there is one entire group of lenses in the APO-Sironar Digital lineup.  The 35mm, 45mm, 55mm, 105mm, 135mm, 150mm, and 180mm.  There used to be a 90mm in this group also, and you can still find this lens the 90mm APO sironar Digital in places.  However Rodenstock renamed the 90mm to the HR-W  now just called W (supposedly this is the exact same lens as the older APO-Sironar digital, just has the blue band and a 125mm IC),  Rodenstock late in 2012 came out with the 90mm HR-SW yellow band, all new lens, with glass that supposedly has to sit for a year before it's cut.  Much much heavier and also needs the back extension.  In the PDF, Rodenstock states that the W series were formally called the APO-sironar Digital.  It's not very clear for sure.

Of the previous group, the 55mm is a gem also, I have the 105mm and it's also very good.  Have never read about the 135, and on up.  

I did not think that this entire lineup was just made for Sironar, but it may have been.  In the Rodenstock PDF on lenses they still show the lineup as current except for the 90mm which they state was moved to the HR-W (depending on the document you find) since it was so close to the 105mm.  I have also been told that the IC of the newer 90mm HR-SW is now 120mm instead of 125mm since Rodenstock felt that the 125mm was not good enough for the 80MP backs.

Paul Caldwell
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:22:55 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

henrikfoto

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 01:24:43 pm »

Henrick,

I am interested in your basis for disbelief in the received wisdom that SINAR checks the lenses that they receive before selling them.  I am interested to know where that information might be found.

Jerry Reed

I have over 200  large format  lenses. Most of them Sinaron and Rodenstock.
I have tested them agains each other many times. Never have I seen any difference.

I am sure Sinar have some tests they perform on their lenses after mounting them.
I just don't think it makes much difference. Rodenstock are just as interested in keeping their
good reputation as Sinar etc. are. Only difference is Rodenstock knows more about optics.

Is it likely that they will sell all their good lenses to Sinar, Linhof etc. and keep all the
lenses rejected by Sinars fantastic testing system to sell under their own brand?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:30:26 pm by henrikfoto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up