Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Circular Background Light for Product Photography  (Read 3042 times)

Kaypee

Circular Background Light for Product Photography
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:23:18 pm »

Hi. What would be the best modifier to achieve a small circular, feathered background light? I would like to develop my lighting technique rather than use Photoshop and I wondered what the best modifier would be?
I imagine a small circle that might sit behind say a watch, would need to be done with a snoot too keep the size small. A larger circle, that might sit behind a handbag, might be a grid?

If anyone could let me know if I'm in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Thanks
KP.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
Re: Circular Background Light for Product Photography
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 12:43:12 pm »

You probably want a reflector which can hold a 7" diameter grid spot, but some softbox manufacturers make circular fabric masks for some of their lightbanks. and course if you can make your own mask using fabric or a stiff material like Fomecore.   To further control  the shape and size of the effect you can:

Make a Gobo! Gobo  is film industry shorthand for a "go between".  It's something that goes between a light source and what it is lighting.  Take a piece of black Fomecore, cut a hole in it (not necessarily circular), and put it in between the light with the grid spot and the translucent background material. You might even try taping some diffusion material across the  front, back or both sides of the opening in the Fomecore gobo as well.

keep in mind that unless your light and the gobo are parallel to the opening you may want to make the opening in the gobo more of an egg shape so the circle of light projected on the background appears circular.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 01:44:01 pm »

Goboes are great! Black cardboard works just as well as foamcore and it is easier to cut.  It may be more difficult to hold in place, however. A bare bulb or a point source light will cast a sharper shadow than a diffused source.

Kaypee

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:42:47 pm »

Great thanks. It's off to the craft shop then!

Fred Salamon

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 02:08:49 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up