Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRUE Rodenstock HR lenses Image Circle size?  (Read 1139 times)

Mr. Rib

TRUE Rodenstock HR lenses Image Circle size?
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:10:05 pm »

I've made a small research and from what I understand, the values of Image Circles of Rodenstock HR lenses given at Alpa website and rodenstock-photo website are very 'conservative' and real/practical image circles of these HR lenses are bigger. Can anyone confirm that / tell me what I'd be able to squeeze out of Digaron-S HR 28mm, 40mm and 70mm lenses in terms of image circle coverage when shooting film? In other words, assuming I'd be shooting Alpa 12 TC camera, so without any movements, what is the biggest film size I can use?  And in particular, assuming one would be shooting film, is it possible to pull off a 6x9 frame with 40mm / 70mm Rodie HR lenses?

And one more question- which "digital" lenses would be suitable for 6x9cm film capture as well in terms of image circle size? Prefereblay Rodenstock HR, from what I understand they are regarded as better lenses overall than Schneiders.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:44:20 pm by Mr. Rib »

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
Re: TRUE Rodenstock HR lenses Image Circle size?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 09:26:09 pm »

I don't have the 28 but I do have the 40 and 70. 6x9 is a 108mm diagonal. I don't think the 40 will work at all. The 70mm might get close, but I doubt it. I only shift 18mm so I can't tell you for sure, but when people say "conservative", they are talking a few mm, not another 18mm past the stated 90mm IC that the 70 has.

...from what I understand they are regarded as better lenses overall than Schneiders.

Eh, it just depends on the lens. Most of that perception comes from the Rodi wides being a retrofocus design so they can shift better with today's smaller pixel size backs (not as much color cast). This doesn't matter with film, so should not be a concern. Actually the two new-ish Schneiders should be interesting for you, the 60xl f/5.6 has a 120mm IC, and on 6x9 that is a 24mm 135-format equivalent, which is pretty good, and you could shift it to about 20mm equivalent. The new Schneider 120mm asph has a whopping 150mm IC; that would be a great "normal" lens for 6x9. The new-ish Rodi 90mm also has a 120mm IC.

Dave

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
TRUE Rodenstock HR lenses Image Circle size?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 09:28:47 pm »

Oh and the 28 only has a 70mm IC, so it wouldn't work at all. The 32 would be a better bet, but it still is only a 90mm IC.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up