Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please recomend a snapshot/family camera  (Read 5678 times)

smahn

Please recomend a snapshot/family camera
« on: November 23, 2013, 05:01:01 pm »

Hi Folks,

Can someone recommend a nice pocket camera in the $500 range (willing to go higher, but willing to go lower too ;-))

Sure, good IQ and RAW -- but mostly ease of use, portable and fast/accurate focus, exposure and flash. Something me, my wife and "tween" kid can all use for family/vacation/everyday stuff.

Cheers

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
Re: Please recomend a snapshot/family camera
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 05:33:56 pm »

I personally am very happy with my Canon Powershot G11.
My next upgrade would be the G1X.
The Canon Powershot S95 I use is for scratchbook work and I keep it in my pocked every day.

Whatever compact you're going to buy:
Shoot RAW! (The above models do.)

Cheers
~Chris

BJL

Please recomend a snapshot/family camera: how much telephoto reach wanted?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 06:10:54 pm »

One question: how much do you want in the way of telephoto reach? Tastes vary greatly in that respect!

For example, in the old money of 35mm film cameras, would the equivalent of a 4x 28-105mm zoom be too little, more than enough, or about right?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 06:14:22 pm by BJL »

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:19:52 pm »

I recommend a superzoom in your price range.  If you don't want the zoom, don't use it.  In any group of three, odds are someone will want and use it.

All cameras nowadays have efficient auto modes.

My wife has gotten excellent IQ/$ with her Panasonic FZ200 (now superannuated).

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 12:13:09 am »

Steve's Digicams has a Best camera page. To quote Steve:

"The following are the cameras that we currently deem to be The Best in terms of resolution, image quality and overall bang for the buck. This list will be continually updated as new models are released and reviewed. Note that there are many other excellent digicams available, we're only listing what we consider to be our "pick of the litter" on this page."

He has four cameras in each category, so pick which category you like and look at the reviews.

Page can be found here.

Cheers,
Tom Brown

smahn

Re: Please recomend a snapshot/family camera: how much telephoto reach wanted?
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 12:17:42 pm »

One question: how much do you want in the way of telephoto reach? Tastes vary greatly in that respect!

For example, in the old money of 35mm film cameras, would the equivalent of a 4x 28-105mm zoom be too little, more than enough, or about right?

That zoom range would be ideal. I'd like to keep a slim profile though, otherwise I'll never get the wife to schlep it.  ;D

It's a pretty crowded field, that's what makes it tough to choose. Just tired of loosing so many shots to focus issues.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »

I've used a wide range of compact fixed lens point and shoots...currently I'm using a Lumix LX7 because I like the wider angle and it's electronic viewfinder...but the best on the market imo...is the Sony RX100ii.  I've used it a bit...and just printed some images for a friend that were from that cam...and the image quality just incredible!  For the money, nothing compares with that camera at the moment. You can get an electronic viewfinder now for the "ii" version. 100mm equiv. zoom...very small body...with beautifully designed "internal lens cap" (get the optional hand-grip). Little more than you originally said you wanted to pay...but.  DPReview article on cam below

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx100-m2
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:28:47 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

armand

• Photos
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 01:56:10 pm »

How are you going to see the photographs that you will be shooting? Any printing beyond 8x10?

RX100 has a fast autofocus and very good movies but zoom is limited.
If you don't print large or you only see the images on a monitor the Sony HX30V (or maybe it's succesor) is very good: very fast focus for a compact, including at the long end and with poor light, easy to use, very good movies, starts wider and has a much longer zoom; just don't enlarge the photos beyond 40-50% (has 18 MP to start with).
It prints just fine up to 8x10, maybe bigger with the right image and settings (I have a good print of 11x15 or so for example). If you don't need additional controls, including raw, and you don't print large the RX100 doesn't offer anything beyond the HX30V (particularly as a family P&S) and I have both; it also offers WiFi which is actually working this days, even if it remains clumsy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:59:00 pm by armand »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:58:18 pm »

PS. not sure about RX100ii but on the original one the flash is for fill only, nothing really beyond

BJL

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:54:00 pm »

This new "seasonal shopping" guide might help: the Sony Rx100ii and Panasonic LX7 are amongst the ones compared.
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6489685206/enthusiast-compact-camera-2013-roundup

Deardorff

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 05:31:49 pm »

For what you want the Panasonic LX7 may be a good choice. The Leica lens is 24-90 equivalent and at 24 is f/1.4. At 90 is f/2.3. Fast and really good for indoor and low light shooting. Simple and easy to use or full manual control if you want. Can shoot RAW as well as Jpegs - your choice.

I have had a number of images published in newspapers from this and the earlier LX5. It is small enough for a shirt or coat pocket - tho not for jeans pockets. Image quality is good and it has served me working through 24 below zero to 115 above without any problems.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:29 pm »

LX7 was just on sale on amazon for 270. I almost got it to fulfill my goal of having at least one camera in each car. For the unpredictable a long zoom is very nice though, 15-30x is addictive. For snapshots my recommendation remains the long zoom Sony, mostly happy with it with the exception of 10% or so when I wanted raw but it gives good ooc jpeg without unnecessary drama when my wife uses it.

smahn

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 12:50:18 pm »

Good stuff guys.

I'm gonna order the Lumix LX-7 from B&H. Good price and form factor. And I don't want to draw out the research forever. Jumping in...

Deardorff

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 03:59:57 am »

Have used the LX5and LX7 for night photography of Northern Lights with good success. LX7 in fast motor setting for dog racing and basketball under the rim. It is a good pocket camera for North Dakota winters with the addition of the 'petal' lens cap from Amazon or eBay. A lens cap that opens up when you turn the camera on and closes when you turn it off. Gives nice protection and does work at 43 below zero and 53-45 mph winds while photographing in blizzards.

The camera is a nice addition as a carry around. Have not tried the video so know nothing about it. Just that the images for web or print all look decent. It isn't a Canon or Nikon Pro body but does take the daily knockaround of a tractor or combine ride, the cab of a semi and the pocket of outdoor activity with no problems so far.

Even worked fine in 117 degrees in Death Valley.

Gadd

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:26 am »

honestly for size, value and quality in a pocketable camera you can't beat Olympus. Now I am not a "fanboy" as I actually shoot both Canon and Nikon dslr's, multiple bodies in each brand. With the emergence of the MFT market we have seen many new cameras hit the shelves, I've had the chance to use many of these and have to say that image quality and ease of use the Olympus offers are reviled by none and no p&s can compare to them either. look into the E-PL2 or E-PM5 for compact yet great image quality at the price your looking for. fyi the pm5 is on sale :)

EinstStein

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 07:34:01 pm »

It may depend on how big is your pocket.
LX7 definitely is the top of the pick. FZ200 is hard to ignore too, but it requires a much bigger pocket.
Pages: [1]   Go Up