Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: do you believe in obscenity  (Read 10951 times)

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: do you believe in obscenity
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »

Close: "There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey". I know only because it's on the wall of a (pricey, needless to say) sandwich shop in Manchester which I visit from time to time for my lunch.

Jeremy
Strange, I did a post yesterday with the correct quote and also mentioned a [pricey, but very good] Sandwich/bakers shop in Sheffield which uses it. But post has vanished.  ???
We have a Ruskin Gallery too as Ruskin spent time here in Sheffield inbetween making interesting quotes such as this one…
“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

Another Jeremy
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 03:12:18 pm by jjj »
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2013, 03:17:02 pm »

... You cannot teach what you do not know...

Correct. Yet knowing about something and doing it (especially successfully) is entirely different. Theory and practice.

...And why is being a teacher seen as inferior to doing other jobs anyway...

I never said it is. I have a great respect for teachers. I think they should be paid and valued much more. Perhaps equally as artists or businessmen. But artists or businessmen they aren't.

Rob C

« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2013, 05:31:37 pm »

Correct. Yet knowing about something and doing it (especially successfully) is entirely different. Theory and practice.

I never said it is. I have a great respect for teachers. I think they should be paid and valued much more. Perhaps equally as artists or businessmen. But artists or businessmen they aren't.

Unfortunately, that's a destiny shared by many of the 'doers' too. Maybe the teachers teach it as well, you know under 'humility'?

Teaching, as a word, is too broad a bush for the sense of this discussion. There are many many subjects where teaching is the way - possibly the only way - to learn, but I don't accept that it has all that much value in art; yes, of course, teachers can teach about technique and tools and history, but that's a tiny part of the whole and as has been made abundantly clear via the world of art collection, a rather small factor towards success as an artist if a factor at all. Other things, such as contacts, mad ideas, exploitation of morality and even of religious beliefs, photography that touches the very far edges of boredom, those are the things that produce results - notoriety, in other words, is the highway in a lot of photography.

IMO.

Rob C

jjj

« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2013, 04:30:14 pm »

Really? So teachers/businessman/artist are all mutually exclusive activities now. That'll come as a surprise to all those who can combine activities.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2013, 02:05:58 pm »

Strange, I did a post yesterday with the correct quote and also mentioned a [pricey, but very good] Sandwich/bakers shop in Sheffield which uses it.

Philpotts?

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2013, 02:53:52 pm »

jjj

« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2013, 06:32:43 pm »

Deardorff