Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Canvas Suggestions - to replace Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte  (Read 6276 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
Canvas Suggestions - to replace Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte
« on: November 22, 2013, 10:19:54 pm »

Please suggest some canvas that I should consider to replace Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte for large fine art prints on an Epson 11880 printer.
I really like the look and feel of Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte but their quality control seems erratic. I see white spots on about one out of four prints. I suspect the white spots are where bits of loose primer flake off after the ink is applied. Some rolls are much worse than others. The white spots vary in size from about 1-5 mm. This problem is seen as the print comes out of the printer and before I've applied any coating.

Note: I tend to like the brightness of optical brightener additives (OBAs).

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Some Guy

Re: Canvas Suggestions - to replace Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 10:44:56 pm »

I bought a roll of "PremierArt Fine Art Generations Satin Canvas."  Mine must be their bright white as it really is white (Brightness 102) compared to their natural canvas without the OB.  They make a Matte too.

Satin: http://www.premierart.info/pg_satincanvas.php
Matte: http://www.premierart.info/pm_mattecanvas.php

I used their protective spray in a Sata Mini-Jet gun as a coating and so far so good.  I believe it is a thin lacquer and a quart was about $42 (Looks like water.).  They had some finished prints in their shop in Ventura, CA and they flexed it pretty well to demonstrate it won't crack on a stretcher.

SB

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:17:55 pm »

Don't know about any flaking or other physical properties in your situation, but I have had good printing results from Canson's canvas with my Canon PRO 100. It might be worth a look.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:28:37 pm »

If you like the look of the OBA's, (as I also do) consider Breathing color's 800M.  If you want the look of pretty close to OBA dmax but without, consider Lyve. 

You will see some weave irregularities at times in 800M, but I have yet to see anything serious in Lyve. 

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:33:59 pm »

I bought a roll of "PremierArt Fine Art Generations Satin Canvas." Mine must be their bright white as it really is white (Brightness 102) compared to their natural canvas without the OB.  They make a Matte too.
I'm suspicious of PremierArt. I think they might be the ones that make the Epson Canvas that is causing me trouble (Epson Premium Canvas Matte). Does anyone know if that is true?

I have had good printing results from Canson's canvas
I'll see if I can get a sample to try.

consider Breathing color's 800M.  If you want the look of pretty close to OBA dmax but without, consider Lyve. 
Thanks. I'll give them a try too. Breathing Color costs more - perhaps they are more careful about quality control. But perhaps not. Does anyone know? They do seem to spend a lot of money on marketing.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

namartinnz

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:58:56 pm »

I've been using Breathing Colour Chromata White for years now printing for artists and photographers, I've virtually no issues. And if I get a roll with any potential defects my local supplier is right on it. I won't be changing out this canvas any time soon.

Neal

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 03:07:37 pm »

The Simply Elegant Matte Canvas (as well as Simply Elegant Everyday Canvas Matte- thinner and longer than others) has become a big hit to be a type of replacement and a bit more affordable.

It's around the thickness of Epson and good longevity as well as quality.
Feel free to contact us if you have questions.

Atlex.com
800-327-2822

RachelleK

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 05:50:33 pm »

I've been using Breathing Colour Chromata White for years now printing for artists and photographers, I've virtually no issues. And if I get a roll with any potential defects my local supplier is right on it. I won't be changing out this canvas any time soon.

Neal

My problem with Breathing Color is their shipping cost.  I had a $85 order and the shipping was over $40.  And, this was to the US East Coast.  I would really like to try out their canvases.

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 01:25:26 am »

Rprt, that's why I stopped buying from BC.  Shipping was about a 4-5 day wait period plus a nice chunk of change.  With LexJet they have a distribution center about 10hrs from me so I get everything in 2 days tops.  I loved their canvas but I couldn't justify the extra costs for everything put together (canvas cost + shipping + waiting period).

TSJ1927

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 09:55:39 am »

Rprt, that's why I stopped buying from BC.  Shipping was about a 4-5 day wait period plus a nice chunk of change.  With LexJet they have a distribution center about 10hrs from me so I get everything in 2 days tops.  I loved their canvas but I couldn't justify the extra costs for everything put together (canvas cost + shipping + waiting period).

Same here, and I've had discussions with their reps.  He said they are going to have a distribution center in or near Austin, Tx next year.  Their shipping alone cost would require a restructure of my printing charges (not good for client relations at this time).

Kanvas Keepsakes

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:22 am »

I had the same conversation with them a couple months back.  I'm actually about 4hrs south of Austin, TX.  That would be perfect for me.  Until then . . .

Peter McLennan

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 01:50:43 pm »

Shipping from Lexjet to north ID has been always fast and inexpensive.  Their sunset deluxe matt has proven excellent for me.

alifatemi

• ali fatemi photography
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 10:24:04 am »

Canson or Hahnemuehle got excellent canvas with or without OBA. H. also make varnish in matte, semi and glassy that I use with very good result.
Kind Regards.

Jason DiMichele

• Jason DiMichele - Fine Art Photographer and Printer
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 11:15:18 am »

Please suggest some canvas that I should consider to replace Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte for large fine art prints on an Epson 11880 printer.
I really like the look and feel of Epson's Exhibition Canvas Matte but their quality control seems erratic. I see white spots on about one out of four prints. I suspect the white spots are where bits of loose primer flake off after the ink is applied. Some rolls are much worse than others. The white spots vary in size from about 1-5 mm. This problem is seen as the print comes out of the printer and before I've applied any coating.

I also experienced the same when I was using the Epson Exhibition Canvas on my Epson 11880. For the past year I've been using Hahnemuhle's Daguerre canvas exclusively. I've also more or less standardized on the other Hahnemuhle papers as my standard fine art papers. Been very happy with quality and quality control. Even the little things are appreciated such as a quality box to hold the roll of paper. Quality through and through.

Cheers!
Jason DiMichele
Fine Art Photographer an

Korndog725

• Chroma Surge Print & Imaging
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2014, 08:01:17 pm »

You don't find the scratch resistance to be really poor with the Breathing Color?
I've tried the Lyve canvas and found the inks scratch off way too easily. (before and after clear coating it)
Kelly
Chroma Surge

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2014, 08:53:27 pm »

Any matte canvas uncoated is pretty easy to scratch just lie a print on matte paper. I find that coated Lyve is very durable. Coating with a mixture of a Timeless and Lexjet's sunset coating.  Lyve will have flaws and runs which can ruin a large print but I don't see much scratching.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 10:16:15 pm »

Plain old Lexjet Sunset Select Matte Canvas has an impressive gamut when coated that is equal to just about any canvas.  Nothing to apologize about there, except for the OBA's.  Not a 100% consistent surface texture from batch to batch, but then that's the case for too many canvases.  Maybe one significant defect per 40 foot roll, which again is typical, but that can go either way.

I need to try that Simply Elegant stuff, especially since it's available from a free shipping supplier.  What's the surface like on that stuff?

I absolutely fell in love with sample roll of Canson ProPhotoHD canvas!  Wonderful, non polarized texture, great flexible substrate, amazingly punchy images, and a killer d-max.  But then, as is so often the case, the production rolls that came through on my first order had a perfectly boring screen door weave and the substrate was so thin as to be partially transparent, which is not good for mounting on black Gator.  And the profile I developed for the sample roll no longer seemed to apply.  But then, almost every sample roll of media I have ever tested has pretty much been a first-run, beta version that differed significantly from the production versions.  Someday I may smarten up on that.  Usually I order 24 x 40's for testing, but not in that case because I thought it was a long-shot, and it was.

But lately I've been working hard to segue over to coated fine art paper as a canvas substitute.  Canvas QC issues kicked me in teeth one time too many over the holiday season and I am craving 100% perfect QC and the papers seem to be delivering on that.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 10:34:02 pm »

Bill

What are you using to coat the fine art paper?

Thanks

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 11:10:36 pm »

Timeless for OBA free stuff like BC Pura Smooth and Velvet, and Polycrylic for OBA media like Epson Cold and Hot Press Bright.  Both diluted with some water.  I figure if I'm gonna use OBA media, might as well not lose the brightening effects with a UV blocking coating.  Somehow I feel a little safer Timeless, but Polycrylic is easier to apply.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2014, 08:27:55 am »

I use Lexjet Sunset Select and Hahnemuhle Monet Canvas and get great results with both. The Sunset Select is a brighter white, probably due to OBA content, where the Monet is stated as OBA free. HP Professional Matte Canvas is another good choice and they say is fade resistant for up to 200 years when used with their vivera inks.
Of the 3 above, the Monet has the fewest defects in the form of cotton seeds.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up