Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and Sigma DP Merrill Files  (Read 9442 times)

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
Lightroom and Sigma DP Merrill Files
« on: November 22, 2013, 04:24:16 pm »

Is there a realistic prospect that LR will ever read them? I have some recollection of Eric Chan himself being quoted as saying that Adobe was working on them, but that was a long time ago - or maybe it just seems that way to someone waiting in hope.
Ken Cameron

Misirlou

• http://
Re: Lightroom and Sigma DP Merrill Files
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 04:51:56 pm »

I have no firsthand knowledge, so others will have more authoritative answers.

Reading between the lines on this page [ http://sigma-rumors.com/articles/sigma-photo-pro-processing-guide/ ], it looks to me like Foveon files have a number of nonlinear interactions among the color layer outputs, meaning they need to be decoded in an entirely different way than Bayer pattern sensors. Given the (currently) small DPM user base, it's probably not a burning issue for Adobe. Why go to all the trouble of reverse engineering the files for just a small number of customers?

Of course, I wish that weren't true. Having to do an intermediate step with SPP is a real pain. You'd think Sigma would recognize an opportunity to increase sales if they could advertise that there was a smooth way to integrate DPM files with your Lightroom workflow.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:40 pm »

Why go to all the trouble of reverse engineering the files for just a small number of customers?

the files were reverse engineered a long time ago (yes, merrills) = http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html (just one person) , even included in libraw (www.libraw.org)

iridient does support them (again - one developer does that)

it is another story that Adobe probably (or rather naturally) can't use the code from above (proxel or libraw)

Misirlou

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:01:22 pm »

the files were reverse engineered a long time ago (yes, merrills) = http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html (just one person) , even included in libraw (www.libraw.org)

iridient does support them (again - one developer does that)

it is another story that Adobe probably (or rather naturally) can't use the code from above (proxel or libraw)

Right, I'm just saying that Adobe is very much larger than the folks behind Iridient, and has less to gain by supporting a niche community. If thousands of Sigma users were bombarding them with requests every day, things might be different.

Rand47

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:03:20 pm »

Is there a realistic prospect that LR will ever read them? I have some recollection of Eric Chan himself being quoted as saying that Adobe was working on them, but that was a long time ago - or maybe it just seems that way to someone waiting in hope.

I'm holding out hope that we may see it in the release version of 5.3.   

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Misirlou

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 05:59:54 pm »

I'm holding out hope that we may see it in the release version of 5.3.   

Rand

I'm holding hope, but not holding my breath...

aduke

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »

I'm holding hope, but not holding my breath...

As am I. But, in the mean time, I've found that RawDigger can reasonably be used for initial viewing of the raw Sigma files. One can see the image and, if desired, the raw histogram.  I tried running SPP on my core i3 netbook and it was excruciatingly slow, RawDigger is much faster. I can then convert only those files that I want to work on without all of the pain of SPP.javascript:void(0);

Alan

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 11:39:34 pm »

5.3 is available in the Adobe Labs as a "beta"
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

SangRaal

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 01:36:56 pm »

Yes 5.3 beta is here but no sigma merrill raw decoder. What I do find interesting is that since LR-4something the DP series Sigma cameras have supported in the lens correction module built into light room.

picturesfromthelow

• Luca Setti - Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »

Yes 5.3 beta is here but no sigma merrill raw decoder. What I do find interesting is that since LR-4something the DP series Sigma cameras have supported in the lens correction module built into light room.

Are you referring to the original DP series? Because I cannot find any lens profile whatsoever in Lr 5.2 for my DP2 Merrill. Or am I missing something?

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 03:21:23 pm »

Are you referring to the original DP series? Because I cannot find any lens profile whatsoever in Lr 5.2 for my DP2 Merrill. Or am I missing something?
what is the point to search for a lens profile if DP*Merrills are not supported as cameras ?

picturesfromthelow

• Luca Setti - Fine Art Photographer
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:41:57 am »

what is the point to search for a lens profile if DP*Merrills are not supported as cameras ?

The point is to get lens correction of course. Lens profile is one thing, camera support is another. This is why you can find a DP1M lens profile on the Adobe Lens profile downloader even though DP1M is not suppoerted by Camera RAW nor Lr.

Luca

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:21:17 pm »

Bump. 

I hold out hope for a LR solution to Sigma's sensor.   I bet Adobe is working on this if for no other reason than other Sigma competitors are starting to engineer similar sensors.   I sense that each of these Merrill cameras have different build constructs making this an even more difficult engineering challenge for Adobe.  The DP2M has issues with the red channel whereas the #3 shows material improvement.   Could it also be a case of trying to chase the technology too? 
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix
Pages: [1]   Go Up