Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 - storage, parts or sell?  (Read 2068 times)

playfight

HP Z3100 - storage, parts or sell?
« on: November 21, 2013, 02:29:36 pm »

Dear Luminous Landscape community,

- many of the threads on here have already provided immensely valuable information for me as a new Z3100 user/Luminous Landscape member, so thank you for that already and the owners of this forum!

I recently got a great deal on a Z3100. When I was picking it up, the seller pointed to another sitting in the corner and offered to throw it in for a couple hundred dollars.
Z3100 #1 is working great so far. As I am not a large printing company, just an artist printing and selling my own work, I am not sure what to do with z3100 #2. #2 works, but has an error that is supposedly
fixed by a thorough cleaning.

The more I read up on these machines, the more I learn that they must be kept running to stay in good working order. I am tempted to keep the second printer around for spare parts, but I am wondering
if most of the really useful parts will get ruined by just sitting. As I live in New Zealand, even the most trivial parts are probably worth 2-3 times as much to me as they would be to you who live, well, pretty much anywhere else on the planet! Any ideas?

thanks in advance for your advice

namartinnz

Re: HP Z3100 - storage, parts or sell?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

Hi mate

I'm from Whangarei and had a Z3100 that packed up after 5 years of use 18 months ago- or getting unreliable with possibly a faulty motherboard. I upgraded to a Z3200 and decided to keep the 3100 as many of the parts should be usable if something goes wrong on this machine. At least I'll keep it for the printer belt as I replaced it myself 6 months before it got faulty.

The 3100 is a good machine and you'll find it really good for ink maintenance/lack of blockages for low use. As long as you have space to store it should be ok. Also you'll have an extra spindle to use for your paper handling.

brianrybolt

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:27 am »

+1

I've had a Z3100 - 24" for around 5 years and I love it.  Only had to replace the belt.  $200.00 is a steal - get it.

Brian

foto_man

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:29:26 am »

I completely agree. Get the printer.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 11:44:03 am »

The circuit boards will not be damaged by sitting, unless they are around a lot of humidity, but anything in the ink path probably will be damaged over time, except perhaps the ink cartridges. Since you already have a working one, it would be a good value to have another around, if you have the space. After about 5 years often the printers need something.

On a related topic, I have a 24” Z3100 that started pitching errors recently so I replaced it. If anyone in the Seattle area wants a broken Z3100 (without ink carts) it will be here for another week or two and then goes to the recycler.

tektrader

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 03:44:00 pm »

If either of you guys is up for posting the formatter PCB and hard drive I would love to have it. :)

Ian99

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:33:26 pm »

Playfight -- no question. Buy it. You will need something in the way of parts and this is the cheapest way of getting them.

Justan -- How do you like your new big Z3200 ?? and how did the show go??

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2013, 10:24:01 am »

Re the formatter, sorry but I don’t have the time or desire to disassemble.

Re the Z3200, it’s a mahverlous machine! Faster than the z3100 and because it’s new, it works flawlessly. I’ve already pushed about 120’ of paper and canvas through it. Plus the one time I called HP support they were great!

I just bought my first roll of 44” canvas and am debating what subject to use for my first 43” (on the short side) pano. I’m thinking of something that is roughly 4x8 will dazzle. I’ll introduce it at a show after the first of the year.

I’ve done 3 shows since I bought the Z3200. Each show has been a little better than the one before, mostly because the crowd is warming up for holiday purchases. I have another show that I load-in for on Monday and that show runs Wednesday thru Sunday. This one will is called a “Victorian Country Christmas,” where all the vendors have to dress up (by contract, believe it or not) in “charming”  ::) 19th. century formal wear. Ugh. I know many others who say this is usually a great show…..so, with my top hat on…..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:48:46 am by Justan »

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 04:41:52 pm »

hi tektrader,
Did you see my ad for my HP Z3100PS here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84156.0

This ad for my broken printer located in Delaware. I can provide a Formatter/HD New 2013 HP Certified Part if you need one. I bought one, but it didn't fix the problems I was having which might be a power supply?

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks, and so long for now, TOM

tektrader

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 03:23:37 pm »

Thanks Tom, I see the formatter board/HDD as a weak spot hence my interest. Mine is working perfectly ATM, but it would be nice to have a cheap back up. I imagine your new board would be a bit expensive to have sitting around in case.

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:12 am »

Hi,
So are you interested in the part? Just yesterday I decided to put the printer (complete with the Formatter included) for sale on ebay.

I'd put the link up here, but I'm not sure if that is permitted by this forum.

Do you or anyone know if that is allowed?

So long for now, TOM

tektrader

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 04:37:04 am »

I logged onto ebay to find your for sale ads but couldn't find them.

BUT, and I have to thank you. I found a parts Z3100 which I bought for $100 complete with 90% full carts and the same seller sold me another 10 new ink cartridges for $100 and threw in 4 new print heads as well.

Thanks....................... :)  that's what I call a WIN...

I think I will be right for ink for quite a while........
Pages: [1]   Go Up