Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Growing storage advice  (Read 780 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Growing storage advice
« on: November 20, 2013, 10:12:11 pm »

I keep my photos on a raid volume called "PhotoRaid" and let lightroom manage folders during import. I also have a few rsync scripts i created that copy new files to a portable drive which I take to my other work location and sync them with another "PhotoRaid" to have a mirror copy of the data offsite. That being said, when my volume fills up I have to get a new one in both locations. My lightroom library which is web synced to all my computers always looks for a PhotoRaid so i don't want to start splitting my files into multiple volumes.

Is there some product that will let me keep adding hard drives to a single storage pool that is then presented as a single volume to the operating system (OSX) ? How does everyone deal with the mass storage issue ? I would love for ZFS to be implemented by apple since that supports expanding storage pools, but so far no luck. The Drobo products kind of have the right idea but unfortunately their performance is underwhelming given the price.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

tived

• http://
Re: Growing storage advice
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:55 am »

Hi

I use a Synology 1812+ which I can expand with 2x 5 drives, making it 18 drives in total, as well as I can add 4tb's instead of 3tb's - you can obviously look at other highend solutions

I think there was something somewhere else where you could pool multiple storage devices into one and the computer would see it as just one location, but it was made up of several different devices - sorry for not being more clear

good luck

Henrik
Pages: [1]   Go Up