Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Has HP Professional Satin Photo Paper been renamed to "instant dry"?  (Read 1180 times)

Edhopkins

We have been buying and using HP Professional Satin Photo paper (44" rolls) for the past 5 years. When we ordered some a few days ago, we were shipped a roll of "HP Professional Instant-dry Satin Photo Paper."  The HP product number--Q8840A--is the same on both.

We can't find HP Professional Satin Photo paper on the HP web site at all.

Years back I thought there were two different kinds of papers. See this old posting on LL: 

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=14832

Anybody able to shed light on what is going on?  Have we gotten the same paper but with a different name or what?

thanks

ed
Baltimore, Md

zippski

Re: Has HP Professional Satin Photo Paper been renamed to "instant dry"?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:52:07 pm »

No, this is not the same paper.

I am almost exclusively an HP Professional Satin user (best HP paper made IMHO)  It is getting harder and harder to find this paper online.  The last several rolls I bought from 3rd-party providers (albeit in 24", but the last roll only last month), but they all showed low stock.

I think this is one-part to do with the super-high price, and one part to do with some earlier quality control issues on a few batches around 2010-2011.

Leigh
zippski

Damir

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:59:05 pm »

Yes they change the name, I was on their presentation few weeks ago, and they mentioned it.

Edhopkins

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 06:51:11 pm »

so it would seem that the reason you can't find HP Professional Satin Photo Paper is that the name has been changed--not that it is low in stock.

so, Leigh zippsk, it seems that it the paper you want -- and we want -- is still out there and probably in good quantity.

It WAS the same HP Number.

It sounds like this matter is settled. Anybody disagree.

sbay

• http://stephenbayphotography.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 10:44:06 pm »

So if the old HP pro satin has been renamed to instant dry, what happened to the paper that was instant dry before?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 06:45:58 am »

So if the old HP pro satin has been renamed to instant dry, what happened to the paper that was instant dry before?

If the Satin Pro was renamed Professional Instant-dry Satin Photo Paper then the "Professional"part in the name makes the difference to the old HP Premium Instant Dry Satin paper. The last may not be in the catalog anymore though. I thought it was replaced some time ago.

What I do hope is that the new name also represents some improvements on the fade resistance of the Professional Satin. Aardenburg Imaging showed it to be less professional on that aspect in the past.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2013, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up