Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long live film doc  (Read 946 times)

larkis

• My photography blog
Long live film doc
« on: November 19, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »

http://youtu.be/sjtphPVchJI

Not sure if someone has posted this already, but I ran across this a few days ago. I shoot both MFD and 4x5 with film but find the people interviewed in this doc almost a cliché. The dogmatic stance towards film and analog tech in this kodak advertisement documentary is fascinating.

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Long live film doc
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:22:19 am »

Thanks for the link. I loved this film. The photographers involved expressed exactly how I feel about film, film cameras and photography.  No denying the benefits of digital, but I enjoyed photography more somehow pre-digital.  No idea why. It makes no logical sense.  Film is a pain-in-the-ass.  But there's something to the physical relationship to one's medium that is lost in digital. You either get that, or you don't. Nothing right or wrong either way. 

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:45:51 am »

Film a pita? yes and no. You could wonder why people go sailing when you can get a boat with an engine. Why walk up the mountain when you can drive up the road to the top?
If photography for me was just a hobby I would enjoy the bit that is a pita, the getting involved in the start to finish, deciding on the finish before the start.
 Watching a print appear in a tray, dodging burning etc, each print is unique in some way. Compare that with inkjet, one or ten thousand near enough identical. Great for production, poor for "art" and zero fun.
Kevin.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 11:38:27 am »

I can't really compare film to digital very well, since I have done my best images with film and shot digital only with compacts and one time a loaned D700 to shoot a ceremony for someone.
I am working hybrid - no more darkroom, though I loved darkroom work when I learned it 25+ years ago.
Working hybrid I feel I have the best of both worlds.
When I had the chance to use a loaned IQ260 on an Rm3Di for a weekend, the experience  was similar than with my film cameras - tripod, careful composing, movements (I LOVE using movements) - just the real thing for me.
With this somewhat limited experience my biggest fear would be to change as a photographic mind when switching to digital.
I am already too sloppy for what I would find ideal - I fear digital would completely erode whats left from me working seriously.
On the other hand - the fast style of shooting digital also is a relief.
If I could preserve all the good parts of my inner process when shooting, I think going digital would be a no-brainer.
I still have to test film for people and street work.
I think I'll bring my Minolta 35 mm back to life to check for street work.
The longer I am pondering and moving the subject inside myself, the more my wish to shoot digital diminishes.
But I think I'll get a digital CSC as a complement for my film work, probably a Fuji X or µ4/3.
Digital speed brings out other things than film.
I think there are good reasons for both, film and digital, and these reasons are different.

Cheers
~Chris

Ligament

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 04:10:57 pm »

I shoot both film (RZ 67 Pro II and Mamiya 7II) and digital (D800e, Sigma DPM series). Film gets pleasing tones and colors 90% easier and faster than digital for me (except the Sigma DPM series which is different).

That is not to say one is better. I have to work really quite hard to get colors and tones on digital as pleasing as my medium format film shots.
Pages: [1]   Go Up