Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LF Architecture photography - help out with lens choice guys  (Read 4128 times)

Mr. Rib

LF Architecture photography - help out with lens choice guys
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:49:48 pm »

Ok, so masochist part of me took over and I bought a 4x5 Arca Swiss F-line metric with shooting architecture in mind. The big plan is to shoot 8x10 but I'll begin with 4x5 to learn, as my analog LF experience is close to none.
So for now I need the 4x5 lenses. Here are a few facts:

-I will be shooting architecture, urban landscapes and probably need an extreme wide angle for indoor shooting.
-my priority is edge to edge sharpness and resolution. I want to be able to print big and I mean BIG so I want to capture and be able to print as much detail as possible (I don't want to blow up the images and surround them with a tape so that noone comes closer than 4 m to the photo ;) Since the main subject will be architecture, distortion-free lenses would be my choice
-big image circle would be great. however I point out that when I invest in 8x10 conversion kit, I will be buying different lenses so IC big enough to cover 8x10 is not of my concern (also that would limit the lens choice dramatically and I want to go wide)

As for the focal lengths, I like the look of 72mm, 90mm, but also 55-58 and even 47 seem nice. I want a few wide angle lenses. Also something longer, 120-150mm.
I know it's all about trade-offs but knowing my priorities, I would be very happy to hear your suggestions.

And additional question- should I buy the micrometric orbix expansion? I'll be shooting film so it's not a necessity, but I think it would make my life much easier with focusing.

All additional notes on the system/lenses/shooting are welcome :) I am very excited about this new adventure, so please try not to discourage me with all "you'd be better off with a high-res digiback/digiback will deliver better image quality" talk, thank you :)

PS
Chris Barrett, you've been using F-line for years, your input would be much appreciated!

Sheldon N

Re: LF Architecture photography - help out with lens choice guys
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »

I used to shoot 4x5 with an Arca Swiss F-Line with Orbix. A great camera, and I do miss it.

Yes, the micro-metric orbix is an awesome thing to have, especially if your compositions will require tilt for near/far scheimpflug focusing. The geared orbix is the one you want.  It's a costly upgrade, but worth it in my opinion. I was able to get mine by buying an entire second camera, then swapping parts and reselling the non-orbix camera. That might end up being cheaper than buying just the function carrier alone.

For lenses in the ultrawide realm, here's a handy list of lenses to look at. Almost any of these at the top of the list will be good.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF4x5in.html

My preferences would lean towards the 47mm or 58mm Super Angulon XL Schneiders for the ultra wide lengths, but those don't offer much movement and will likely require a center filter. They are also a pain in the butt to compose/focus with.  I'd say that the 72mm Super Angulon XL is a must have for architecture on 4x5 due to the wide view and massive coverage it offers. The 110mm Schneider Super Symmar XL lens is another excellent choice. Very sharp, compact size, and almost enough coverage even for 8x10. It's a bit more expenseive though, usually around $1k used.  At 120mm for architecture shooting, I'd look at either the Nikon 120mm SW f/8 (massive coverage) or the 120mm Schneider Super Symmar HM. The Nikon might be the better choice since it's less expensive on the used market and has more coverage, but the 120 SSHM is a very nice lens too.  At 135 to 150mm, you're more in the realm of regular f/5.6 plasmat lenses unless you plan to do drastic movements. Any of the big 4 (Nikon/Fuji/Rodenstock/Schneider) are good, but the best IMHO is the APO Sironar-S from Rodenstock in either 135 or 150mm.

a 72mm 110/120mm 150mm lens kit would be a nice set of spacing for architecture shooting, and you could add an ultrawide if you wanted.
Sheldon Nalos
[url=http://www.flickr.com

Chris Barrett

• www.christopherbarrett.net
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 01:46:12 pm »

Here's what I used to carry for 4x5:

Rodenstock   Grandagon N    65mm  very little movement available on 4x5
Rodenstock   Grandagon N    75mm  decent
Rodenstock   Grandagon N    90mm  very nice, not nearly as sharp as my 90mm HR-W though
Rodenstock   Grandagon N   115mm  this lens seemed to be the sweet spot for interiors, tough to find!
Rodenstock   APO-Sironar S   135mm  good lens but the focal length?  yawn
Rodenstock   APO-Sironar S   150mm  eh, again a very good lens, but less interesting
Rodenstock   APO-Sironar S   180mm  very nice, love this focal length on 4x5
Rodenstock   APO-Sironar S   210mm  decent
Schneider      G-Claron      305mm  surprisingly good repro lens and very small for a 300!

None of these are going to be very good for 8x10 but hey served me well through thousands of shots.  I used to shoot these on the Arca F Line which doesn't have anywhere near the precision of the F-Metric.  The real drag about trying to shoot film nowadays is the lack of 4x5 polaroid.  I used to go through tons of that stuff for lighting, composition and styling.  

Even though my M Line 2 is heaven compared to the old F Line, I really miss a 4x5 groundglass.   I feel like I have much less interaction with the camera now.  I get it roughed in on the little 645 glass and then do my fine tuning via laptop.  I think you will find working with 4x5 very enjoyable.  I often fantasize about dusting off mine or getting a 4x10 and then bringing my drum scanner out of the basement.  Heh.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 01:50:26 pm by Chris Barrett »

Mr. Rib

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 02:03:05 pm »

Thanks for the input Chris! And a very nice breakdown
Ever considered/gave SA XL lenses a shot? Or Apo Symmar / Super Symmar XL?

DanielStone

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 02:18:48 pm »

Schneider, Fuji, Nikkor, Rodenstock, etc... they're all pretty damn good.

APO Symmars and Super Symmars are superb lenses, just watch out for schneideritis.

I'm partial to Fujinons and Nikkor lenses myself.
For WIDE work, you have the Super Angulon XL series. I've used the 68, 72 and 90XL lenses, and they're great. Super duper sharp.

I use 5x7 and normal to long lenses most of the time in the field, so we're in somewhat different camps, but thought I'd share my experience with the aforementioned lenses however.

have fun!
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up