Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture not displaying Photoshop edits properly  (Read 6459 times)

khenke

Aperture not displaying Photoshop edits properly
« on: November 18, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

As I often edit images in Photoshop, I noticed Aperture is not displaying those images correctly. The histogram clearly shows differences and the actual image displays differently as one would anticipate considering the histogram differences. On some images the white and black points are set correctly in Photoshop only to show blown highlights in Aperture.

Needless to say this is a bit disturbing as I normally print out of Aperture. When I spend a lot of time in Photoshop, I want those edits to be displayed. Both are TiFF files. Using Pro Photo RGB.

Any clues as to what may be happening?

ario

Re: Aperture not displaying Photoshop edits properly
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 12:37:16 am »

Are you using the same soft proofing profile in PS and Aperture?

khenke

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 12:38:51 am »

Yes, Pro Photo RGB. That said, the soft proofing would not effect the histogram.

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:07:32 pm »

Versions of the OS and apps in question might be helpful.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

khenke

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 08:24:34 pm »

The OS version is Mavericks and using the latest versions on Aperture and Photoshop CC

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 10:53:52 pm »

A few things:

There are some reports of odd histograms under Mavericks.  See here.  Afaik, this is limited to the Curves Brick.

Check your Hot and your Cold Threshhold settings under Aperture Preferences.  This should make no difference to the histogram, but might explain the differences you are seeing in clipping.

How are you round-tripping between Aperture and PSCC?  If you are using PSCC as Aperture's External Editor, what happens if you export your Aperture Image as an original-size 16-bit TIFF, edit it in PSCC, and then import the edited file?  (Also: check each setting in Aperture prefs of the Export Preset you assigned to your External Editor.)

khenke

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:08 pm »

Yes, I am round tripping by sending a NEF to Photoshop via Catapult. I see no reason for the returning TIFF to be that different that what is viewed in Photoshop. And clearly,the histograms are displaying that difference.

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 11:27:00 pm »

Yes, I am round tripping by sending a NEF to Photoshop via Catapult. I see no reason for the returning TIFF to be that different that what is viewed in Photoshop. And clearly,the histograms are displaying that difference.

What happens if you take Catapult out of the loop?  Why are you using it?  Can you confirm that the files you are comparing are based on the same RAW converter? 

Did you try what I suggested?  What was the result?

For trouble-shooting, I recommend ascertaining whether the undesired result is replicated in the simplest workflow, and, if it is not, add things in until you do replicate it.

khenke

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 02:05:20 am »

Well, for what its worth, I opened up the same TIFF processed in Photoshop in Preview, Aperture, and iPhoto. In all of those the image is virtually identical. The same image in Photoshop still exhibits a slight color shift and brightness. It is really apparent in yellows, as you will note from the images I posted. Still strange to me and have checked every setting known.

Ken

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 01:09:16 pm »

It is really apparent in yellows, as you will note from the images I posted.

What images? I'm not seeing any here, nor a link.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

khenke

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 01:37:19 pm »

Continuing to work on a resolution to this situation, I hadn't mentioned that when set my soft proofing to a specific paper in both Aperture and Photoshop, the images are fairly close in color and brightness. Not identical, but close. So, that is somewhat of a relief.  And, no, I actually haven't printed out of both apps to see the results. The reason being, I have always printed out of Aperture. Its probably time to try Photoshop for comparison.

That said, I do post to web galleries, on-line photo competitions, etc, so that color working space is important for best screen viewing. Just seems that Photoshop is rendering ProPhoto RGB differently than any other app on my Mac and I haven't found out why.

I do appreciate some of the comments, as some folks reading this thread will learn about soft-proofing vs color space,  if they didn't before.

FYI...attachments screenshot of what I am referring to attached.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up