Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tramuntana in evening light.  (Read 4637 times)

Bruce Cox

• flickr
Re: Tramuntana in evening light.
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 09:13:28 am »

I believe frames function differently in a number of ways on the screen than they do on the wall.  I am not bothered by your frames Rob.  With yours the black is more of a line than a shape and they give you somewhere to write other than on the photo its self. 

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 10:13:31 am »

Probably the association with bad 3D web design graphics is too strong.
Though many graphical stuff is sort of fake, the fake 3D seems to pull off a trigger in most,
despite the fact its quite similar to real world framing.
I'm still experimenting with the frames and will sure come up with a different iteration in future.

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 11:09:03 am »

I believe frames function differently in a number of ways on the screen than they do on the wall.  I am not bothered by your frames Rob.  With yours the black is more of a line than a shape and they give you somewhere to write other than on the photo its self. 

To be brutally honest with myself, I have always feared real framing for the wall; I've been seduced by brushed aluminium Daler frames that I used to put calendar pulls into during the 70s and I still have/use the same ones now; only the images have been changed. What happens there is that familiarity steps in and makes anything different feel sort of wrong, but that's really just the comfort zone getting pricked... I really do think that only someone with a lot of professional framing experience has the developed eye to see what makes a pic look at its best. Another aspect that freaks me out is deciding on the width of the board...

As it is, my venerable aluminiums all fit a standard A3 sheet quite well, and mounted on a black card that's wider all round, it all looks fairly presentable. Of course, that means the glass is pressing onto the print, but who cares? The glass restores lost tones to the hated matt papers on which I have to print.

The longer I put images onto the web rather on paper, the less inclined I become to print at all; could I but determine the cause of my softened shots here, I'd be almost happy!

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 03:01:41 pm »

Chris, I still think that you are missing an opportunity to warm-up the scene a bit. It comes across as overly blueish and cold (not unusual for film). If that is how you want it, or how it was, then I can't argue with that.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:06:48 pm »

Chris, I still think that you are missing an opportunity to warm-up the scene a bit. It comes across as overly blueish and cold (not unusual for film). If that is how you want it, or how it was, then I can't argue with that.

I'm pondering.
The shadows are cold, the blueish impression in the shadows shall remain.
But I also see, since there is so much shadow, its becomes quite cold.
I already selectively warmed the light areas a bit and am afraid to break this effect apart.
But after your input I'll give it another look, since I don't want people to freeze looking at it.
Maybe I can rebalance it sensibly a bit in the foreground.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2013, 03:56:09 pm »

Allright - here it is especially for you, Slobodan - and I like it too.
Used the warming filter in PS following a suggestion from another thread.
This forum is so awesome for learning ....
Cheers
~Chris

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

From memory, you need to warm the whole thing up.

I could easily be mistaken (but I don't think so). Mallorca rocks - no, Mallorcan rocks - are that honey-coloured limestone which, usually, looks black as hell and every colour under the sun other than honey. The honey only drips when the sun sets or rises. It's all part of the grand design of the Tourist Board, in complicity with the established church. The old Crusader churches certainly do have that warm glow, but its probably from the dried old blood of the poor devils who had to risk life and limb to build them in the first place.

Hermits lived in caves.

Rob C

Christoph C. Feldhaim

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 05:03:04 pm »

From memory, you need to warm the whole thing up.

I could easily be mistaken (but I don't think so). Mallorca rocks - no, Mallorcan rocks - are that honey-coloured limestone which, usually, looks black as hell and every colour under the sun other than honey. The honey only drips when the sun sets or rises. It's all part of the grand design of the Tourist Board, in complicity with the established church. The old Crusader churches certainly do have that warm glow, but its probably from the dried old blood of the poor devils who had to risk life and limb to build them in the first place.

Hermits lived in caves.

Rob C

Rob you should have a look here - a shot from the same place just another direction:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=84333.0
I dared to post in the landscape section - after seeing so many flat mid day shots there recently I thought I'd raise the level in that subforum a little.
And no - the Mallorquin government doesn't pay me to pretty it up ... ;)

Cheers
~Chris

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 07:21:40 pm »

Just to be clear, I do not mind blueish and cool shadows, I was referring to the need to warm up the highlights and create that nice orange-blue contrast. What struck me in your OP image was the bleak nature of the highlights. You might actually try split toning in LR (or PS), selecting one color for highlights and the other for shadows.

But of course, the version that works best is the one that warms up your heart, not necessarily the colors. ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up